NGD: Dunable Gnarwhal Baritone, "Bound and Blocked". DOOM LIVES HERE!

• Thread starter TedintheShed
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
I've been toying with standard B and Drop A tuning for a while now, but it was on a 25.5" scale guitar. It never felt right to me, so I decided to go baritone. I was looking into getting a baritone like a Mayones or the like but I asked myself, what do I really want to do with it? So, I went back to my roots.

I'm an old geezer by most of your standards a 55. My roots in playing started off in Maiden/Priest and The Big 4. I am a child of thrash, but the first songs I ever played were Sabbath. Paranoid and Iron Man were mainstays. Past that I love FF, KSE, Pantera ATR, Korn, Slipknot and the usual suspects but I can't seem to latch on to newer stuff. Don't get me wrong but djent eludes me and bands like Polyphia while talent and musicianship is undeniable just isn't something I can not gravitate to.

So I went backward.

Listening to a lot of old doom. Sabbath is the progenitors of course. Saint Vitus. Candlemass. etc... Primordeal metal by todays standard. I wanted a guitar that matched the style, and had earlier stumbled across Dunable and didn't give them a lot of thought. I had a lot of questions, primarily about the neck shape and the pickups. When I reached out I was supervised t discover I was talking to Sacha Dunable himself. Dude was all over my questions, Answered honest and was just nice.

And so as a result...here is this guitar and it is a god damn Doom Machine.

Just to save you the breath, I knew about the mark. I got a substantial discount off it because of that. This is a weapon, not a piece of art. Without a full review I will say that I had concerns about the neck, but no more. That neck is astounding. After I got it set up, tuned and installed strapslocks on it the first thing I played was Warpigs. I haven't even plugged it in yet to check out the Hellworm pickups, which are wound in house.

Without further ado...pictures.

full frontal.jpg
Over all view- 27.5 inch scale in all of it's glory! Body shape inspired by a Dano?

bridge.jpgFB.jpg
I chose this model in part because I just love this bridge!. "Bound and Blocked". Neck feeling incredible in the hand. Concerns with the "chunkiness" and paint is no more.

headstock.jpg
In pics this headstock looks huge and ugly...but in person it's quite graceful

Tuners.jpg
Pleasant surprise: Hipshot locking tuners! Specs said they were not locking Tuners and I had planned to replace them.

DING.jpg
Big a$$$$$ discount!!!

sticker.jpg
Ha! Hahahahah!

Attachments

• Tuners.jpg
    Tuners.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 13

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The shape is actually inspired by the Mosrite Joe Maphis/Ventures line.

lf

It's a cool shape that got copied by... everyone lol. Univox, Danelectro, Eastwood, Hallmark, countless brands. Even ESP copied it with the RZK sig line.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Cant miss with black, binding and blocks.

Enjoy!

I have only held one dunable years ago so not quite at buying a Yeti blind.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
HNGD! A baritone Yeti is up there as one of my dream guitars! Enjoy your Gnarwhal in good health, and with tasty riffs.

Eyelessfiend

Reaction score
Congrats!! and so cool to see another baritone Dunable on here. How does it balance on a strap? I just put my order in for a baritone Gnarwhal and was hoping it balances similar to my bari Yeti.

TedintheShed

Reaction score
Congrats!! and so cool to see another baritone Dunable on here. How does it balance on a strap? I just put my order in for a baritone Gnarwhal and was hoping it balances similar to my bari Yeti.

It balances just fine, but I'm using a pretty big leather strap with an "unpolished" back.

20230319_205357.jpg

beavis2306

Lusts for gear
Reaction score
What is it about Dunables that makes them doom machines? Thick necks? I really like the aesthetics of em but have no business with doom

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
IIRC the guitarist of Devildriver plays Dunable and they pretty much play groove/melodeath/metalcore. They just appeal to the doom crowd because they seem to market to that crowd better lol. That and they seemed to just have made their name from doom/sludge guys using them. Same with EGC.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What is it about Dunables that makes them doom machines? Thick necks? I really like the aesthetics of em but have no business with doom
Just that doom bands play them. They play les pauls and SG's too.

The DE series seems to have a pretty thin neck. Not sure if the USA standard is thicker, then there's custom orders. Sadly I won't be near the larger Canadian dealer to try a few out.

TedintheShed

Reaction score
It what everyone else says here, but one thing is thier pickups as well. Most of them lend well to a real fuzz driven yone, like running them into a Big Muff variant or the Sunn Model T's, Matamp/Orange, Laney's etc.