NGD Ernie Ball Music Man JP XI

• Thread starter HungryGuitarStudent
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Belated NGD post. I got this guitar in 2020. It has been my main guitar ever since.

Why do I love it?

• The neck profile and fretboard radius make for the best six string playability I’ve seen.
  • The lead tone is incredible. It just resonates.

Why not get a JP15?

• I had a JP15 six string and sold it because ever since getting the XI I haven’t touched it. Playability wise and lead tone wise, the JPXI is better (for my tastes).

Any defects?

• We’ve seen a bit of a decline in EBMM QA in recent years, but this build was near perfect.
  • Only thing I had to change was a saddle that hand a micro dent in it. This resulting in me breaking high E strings more often (I hadn’t broken a string in years).
  • EBMM shipped new saddles (for free), very quickly, and that solved the problem.

Here’s a quick cover I did of Scar Symmetry’s Domination Agenda solo.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Thanks guys!! I was happy with the result, although I find the tone in the video a bit mid heavy (dialed it back since).

@bassisace Definitely harder to find now. Got mine at Sweetwater. Some pop-up on the local used market every year.

EarlWellington

Reaction score
I have a JPXI but found the tone on it really muddy when I got it... I ended up swapping the bridge for a Juggernaut which helped fix it up. I've had crunchlab in other guitars which was weird that I didn't like it. The neck and playability on it is great though

The only QC issue I had was fretsprout on the sides

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
I have a JPXI but found the tone on it really muddy when I got it... I ended up swapping the bridge for a Juggernaut which helped fix it up. I've had crunchlab in other guitars which was weird that I didn't like it. The neck and playability on it is great though

The only QC issue I had was fretsprout on the sides
I’ve heard similar complaints about the crunchlabs. Really depends on amp/cab/settings. I use a Mk IV and Mesa IRs in my AxeFx3 and for leads it’s great (bridge and neck pickups).

Did it come with fret sprout or did it develop over time?

EarlWellington

Reaction score
I’ve heard similar complaints about the crunchlabs. Really depends on amp/cab/settings. I use a Mk IV and Mesa IRs in my AxeFx3 and for leads it’s great (bridge and neck pickups).

Did it come with fret sprout or did it develop over time?
I bought it second hand with fret sprout... got it on a great deal, and the finish covers it so there's no sharp edges, just small bumps you can feel

bassisace

Reaction score
Music Man are dropping the ball more often these days. They're cutting corners.

fortisursus

Reaction score
Great grab! I still remember trying a JP12 in a GC many years back. Left an impression on me to this day. Those early JP's really have a distinct feel. Enjoy it!

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Great grab! I still remember trying a JP12 in a GC many years back. Left an impression on me to this day. Those early JP's really have a distinct feel. Enjoy it!
Definitely great playability. I love the lead tones I get out of it. It really resonates.

Here’s an example of “in the room” tone (phone audio).

bassisace

Reaction score
Definitely great playability. I love the lead tones I get out of it. It really resonates.

Here’s an example of “in the room” tone (phone audio).

Sick!Love me some Raf Trujillo leads! What amp are you playing through?

Lax

Reaction score
I think my JP12 is my favorite guitar ever, I can play anything effortlessly. Just the crunchlab pickup SUCKS
I'm still in a honeymoon phase with the majesty, which sounds better, but I think I need to tweek a little more the setup for it to be as effortless as my JP12. And classical position isn't as confortable.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Yeah, JP12 and XI are a cut above in terms of playability. Tone wise, I find the JPXI sounds better than the JP12 with crunchlabs. Also, if you don’t play settings/amps/cabs near those of Petrucci, they can sound muddy af.

@bassisace For the Obsidious cover, I was using an AxeFx3.