NGD: ESP Alexi Laiho Katakana SS (Finland Edition)

• Thread starter Blytheryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I was just listening to COB for the first time in years, it hit me again how crazy it is that in this day and age, a rockstar drank themselves to death at the age of 41. By about 2013 he was starting to look so ill, with emaciated, skeletal features and his whispy, thinning hair which had taken on the texture of straw.

According to Wikipedia, he said he stopped drinking heavily about that time but according to Janne Wirman, that was a lie. What a shame that he couldn't stop himself. He seemed to be in a destructive spiral for so long, determined to Follow the Reaper as it were and ultimately destroyed himself.

It's a tremendous shame as those early Bodom records are great, but the drinking clearly affected him terribly, as the Downfall was so marked after FTR and to a lesser extent HCDR. The later half of their career was so bad in comparison, probably because Alexi was so Trashed, Lost and Strungout that he couldn't remember how he wrote the early bangers.

On another note, the solo in Bed of Razors is amazing, definitely an underrated gem. Short, simple and easy but the way it climbs up the fretboard over that chord change is awesome.

Super cool score on the guitar, rare and with a cool story to boot. I doubt you'll miss the stuff you sold other than perhaps a passing moment here or there. When you get the chance to add something really special to your collection, you have to take it.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I don't want to ask how much it was, because I assume it was your soul. Man is that thing pretty. Congrats!

RIP Wildchild.