NGD: Fractal FM3

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
I like it the most through my 44 Magnum power amp and a cab, but I usually play through a PowerCab Plus, because it's most convenient. I've tried it through the power amp of a few of my tube amps and it sounds good that way but kinda defeats the purpose of the FM3 to me, which is to replace a tube head. I'd love to get a dedicated tube power amp for it at some point, but I'm in no rush considering the results I've gotten with solid state power.
Have you tried the SD170? I liked the results enough, but the EVH sounds so much better to me.

Would love to find a ss power amp that I’m happy with.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Have you tried the SD170? I liked the results enough, but the EVH sounds so much better to me.

As for me, I kinda gave up on getting a SS power amp. If I happen to find one, cool. But I really love the look of the head(s) and cab(s) lol. It’s the best of both worlds. I can play modeler through the heads. I can play modeler through the monitors. I can play through the heads using the modeler as effects only. I can ply through the heads with real pedals. It’s great. I have any setup that suits my mood.

And I can basically do all the same stuff with my combo amp(s) if I want to go portable.

Hmmm…tell me why I keep buying shit again… /facepalm

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
Also I just sat for a few minutes with the 6505 and FM9. I dialed a crunch tone I liked on the 6505 green channel then pretty well matched it with the PVH 6160+ Crunch model. Next I did the same with the 6505 Red channel and PVH 6160 Block model (that one was super easy).

Fractal into EVH 50w is my happy place :)

Edit: and yes, I understand the irony of that against my earlier statement about getting away from comparing. Every now and then you just do it to remind yourself you can lol. Also I was curious about dialing in the 6505 crunch channel since the 5150/6505 green channel isn’t modeled in the Fractal. They have the 5150+ green though (both clean and crunch) and I wanted to see what it took to get it done. It wasn’t too difficult.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score

I haven't. $400 for a solid state power amp is way more than I'd spend. At that price, I'd spend a bit more and get a Fryette PS2.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
As for me, I kinda gave up on getting a SS power amp. If I happen to find one, cool. But I really love the look of the head(s) and cab(s) lol. It’s the best of both worlds. I can play modeler through the heads. I can play modeler through the monitors. I can play through the heads using the modeler as effects only. I can ply through the heads with real pedals. It’s great. I have any setup that suits my mood.

And I can basically do all the same stuff with my combo amp(s) if I want to go portable.

Hmmm…tell me why I keep buying shit again… /facepalm
I think you’re onto something. ;)

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Well, the channel switch just totally died on my Archon 50. Awesome stuff. Looks like I’ll be taking this one back.

Thankfully, I was able to get the FM3 to sound pretty close to the Archon, and thankfully the FM3 has the 6CA7 power tube option, which made a HUGE difference with getting close to the Archon 50 tone.

Not gonna lie, i think FM3 has totally won me over.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
Well, the channel switch just totally died on my Archon 50. Awesome stuff. Looks like I’ll be taking this one back.

Thankfully, I was able to get the FM3 to sound pretty close to the Archon, and thankfully the FM3 has the 6CA7 power tube option, which made a HUGE difference with getting close to the Archon 50 tone.

Not gonna lie, i think FM3 has totally won me over.
Did you use the Archean model or something else?

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Did you use the Archean model or something else?
Yep, the Archean.

I was actually A/Bing the two for quite some time today, and even though the Archon came out on top, the FM3 was no slouch. I just couldn't get the same response and dynamics from the FM3, but the tone itself was very close.

The Archon just has such a smooth and silky gain structure, which was hard for me to coax out of the FM3.

Ribboz

Enjoy
Reaction score
Is latency an issue? Were I to use it through the power amp of my SLO, would I notice any latency? Sorry if this is an old question. Debating getting an FM3. It would be my first modeler.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
Is latency an issue? Were I to use it through the power amp of my SLO, would I notice any latency? Sorry if this is an old question. Debating getting an FM3. It would be my first modeler.
No detectable latency at all that I can feel. I don’t think it’s a thing with the Fractal gear these days. Or the other top tier modelers either afaik.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Latency from a speaker cab is 10ms at 10ft.

laxu

Reaction score
The roundtrip latency of FM3 is very low. It's a total non-issue.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Also I just sat for a few minutes with the 6505 and FM9. I dialed a crunch tone I liked on the 6505 green channel then pretty well matched it with the PVH 6160+ Crunch model. Next I did the same with the 6505 Red channel and PVH 6160 Block model (that one was super easy).

Fractal into EVH 50w is my happy place :)

Edit: and yes, I understand the irony of that against my earlier statement about getting away from comparing. Every now and then you just do it to remind yourself you can lol. Also I was curious about dialing in the 6505 crunch channel since the 5150/6505 green channel isn’t modeled in the Fractal. They have the 5150+ green though (both clean and crunch) and I wanted to see what it took to get it done. It wasn’t too difficult.
Unrelated anecdote. Austin Buddy gold pack has a great EVH rig preset that has an awesome green channel with detune.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Had my FM3 for a week but I do need to read the manual. lots going on here. right away , to me, it sounds better than the kemper. much warmer to my ears. i should have gone fractal a long time ago. any tips for a fractal noob? will start using for recording. no live playing for now.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
Had my FM3 for a week but I do need to read the manual. lots going on here. right away , to me, it sounds better than the kemper. much warmer to my ears. i should have gone fractal a long time ago. any tips for a fractal noob? will start using for recording. no live playing for now.
Maybe check out Rosh Roslin’s YouTube channel. You can look at stuff for any of the Fractal stuff and get some good info. Also AxeFX tutorials and Leon Todd.

If you want to spend some money I hear Cooper Carter’s classes are good but I’d start with the free stuff and also sign up on the Fractal forum.

Breeding The Spawn

Reaction score
I'm still having a hard time setting up a good Death Metal tone on the FM3 with my Vader Cab. I'm using a Ritter gba280 watt power amp and using a Caparison Horus with a Black Winter pickup. I am creating a preset at loud stage volume but no matter what I do I can't get rid of this sharp, harsh high end. I am currently using the Angle Severe 2. I keep separate presets for recordings and I am very happy with those, but once I create a preset for my cab I can't get anything to sound good.

Shask

Reaction score
I'm still having a hard time setting up a good Death Metal tone on the FM3 with my Vader Cab. I'm using a Ritter gba280 watt power amp and using a Caparison Horus with a Black Winter pickup. I am creating a preset at loud stage volume but no matter what I do I can't get rid of this sharp, harsh high end. I am currently using the Angle Severe 2. I keep separate presets for recordings and I am very happy with those, but once I create a preset for my cab I can't get anything to sound good.
Put a Filter block after the amp block with a hi cut at around 7khz.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
You can also think outside the box. Although you're using a real cab, you can still try using an IR. Granted this can make things sound a bit muffled, however you can add some life back in with some basic EQ tweaks using the amp model's tone controls, or any of the other many tone controls available.

For giggles one time I ran an IR through my real cabs. It did lose a lot of high end. I boosted the highs on my Powerstage (maybe mids too, I forget) and thought it was a pretty usable, even good, tone. Kinda surprised me tbh.

It's not the most obvious solution, and may not be the "best" solution, but maybe give it a shot and see if what you think.