NGD: Gibson Explorer 80s WHITE

• Thread starter DarkstarII
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys -- It took some doing, but finally, 1.5 years after Cesar teased that pic (and almost 10 years searching for a good one), I finally scored a white whale bucket list guitar! This is a 2024 White 80s Explorer, straight from Gibson. A few get released each month and on my third attempt to directly purchase, I finally did it. These get sold out within a minute or two of Gibson's email notification.

Fit and finish is very good. The fret board needed oiled, but otherwise no issues. I tried her out with the factory 10s and really like the neck pickup. The bridge 80s pup is OK, but I think it needed to be closer to the strings. I then slapped .11's on there (my standard for all E-flat guitars) and she sounds and feels perfect. I used to have the Epiphone version of this for about 7 years, and once I got one of the limited 2016 Explorers, I knew I had to have a white Gibson someday. After restringing, I moved the strap button to the side, where it should be, and added the Hetfield-correct chrome Tele knobs. She's quite lightweight, the lightest of all three Explorers I have, and that's with a half-pound of Tele knobs!

PICS:

IMG_3927.JPG
IMG_3930.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

IMG_3967edit.JPG

Celtic Frosted Flakes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice! HNG! Is the white finish a little yellow/aged, or is my eyes just getting tricked by the lightning in the photos?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Superstars rule but the Explorer/Destroyer shapes are #1. Looks great in white!

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Wifey also thinks it has a slight aged coloration to the finish. It kind of depends on the light -- in some rooms it looks like bright white, in others, it has a slight yellowish characteristic to the finish.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Hyfy thrash at once

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve heard people are sending this back due to shitty Gibson QC. How is yours?

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hadn't heard that -- I've seen 2 people flipping them on Reverb, asking for crazy monies, and I know that one guy in early January got one and he didn't like it as well as his original '84. This one was signed off on Monday, Feb. 26, so it's not a return. Fret ends feel good; Paint looks really good everywhere...seems really good to me. I'm certainly not sending it back.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was hoping these would come with the 80s spec alder body and maple neck but unfortunately they don't. Cool guitar nonetheless.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was hoping these would come with the 80s spec alder body and maple neck but unfortunately they don't. Cool guitar nonetheless.
More often than not, they were 'hog on 'hog back in the day. Yes, there were a few runs with odd body and neck materials, but they were mostly mahogany. I do think these would be a great candidate for an ebony fret board, but other than that, they're fairly accurate.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
More often than not, they were 'hog on 'hog back in the day. Yes, there were a few runs with odd body and neck materials, but they were mostly mahogany. I do think these would be a great candidate for an ebony fret board, but other than that, they're fairly accurate.
Watch Troglys review if you haven't. He goes over the materials and he knows more about Gibbys than any of us do by far.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, I have watched Trogly’s vid several times - I’m just saying it wasn't like 50 percent of 84 explorers were alder/maple. This one is light enough that I wonder!

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
Shit, I want one so bad. HNGD, I’m happy for you. I had no idea its a slow drip release, Inthought they were getting a wide release in May.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am still on a Sweetwater wait-list for that supposed May release; I decided, since rumors were swirling in the other Explorer thread that Gibson was holding these back for direct-release only, that I had to try and get one ASAP. Plus there was a rumor prices were going to go up on these to $2799 (none of which has been addressed by Gibson), so when I got that email notification, I jumped like greased lighting!

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
OK, I can update the Sweetwater info above -- can confirm that these do indeed appear to be Gibson exclusives; Sweetwater isn't expecting to get ANY of them...