NGD: Gibson Les Paul 50s Standard

• Thread starter beerandbeards
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
I started getting away from super strats and really enjoying the feel of guitars that were designed decades ago. Thin necks just weren’t feeling right in my hand. I started gassing for an LP. I know there’s distrust and disdain for Gibson, they do seem to have turned a corner (sort of). Also, got it on sale.

2020 Les Paul Standard 50s.

I love the feel of the neck. It has a nice thickness but it’s not at all as thick as I thought it would be. (I have heard that it’s not the same as a neck on a LP from the 50s, and more like a 60s but I have no idea). Feel great, no sharp fret ends, binding looks great. There was nitro over spray on the fretboard around the 21-23 frets on the bass side. It was easy to scrape off and clean without damaging the fretboard but, obviously it shouldn’t have left the factory without being addressed especially being “inspected”. Also, there’s rubbing compound or polish built up in the serial number. Looks shitty but it’s the serial number on the back of the headstock, nothing to lose sleep over.

The hardware seems to be good, no issues. Tuners work well. I believe the G goes out a little but is a common issue that I’ve heard.

The pickups. They sound awesome. Thick, heavy, crunchy. The neck is beautiful, especially with the tone dialed back a couple. Creamy and clear.

Overall, sounds amazing, plays comfortably, minus some cosmetic issue of the overspray(which was an easy fix). I wouldn’t change anything on this guitar.
View media item 4032

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fuji86

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought one when GC had them on sale last month, and its such a good guitar and understood why people love these grandpas guitars. Was worried about the neck and fret size but after getting used to it, I realized I love thick necks (more comfy for my large hands).