NGD: Harley Benton Fusion-HH FR MN Aqua - Pro Series

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
You can't just unscrew the switch, flip it around and screw it back? Seems like a easiest solution to me...

But what do I know about anything...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lukhas

Reaction score
You can't just unscrew the switch, flip it around and screw it back? Seems like a easiest solution to me...

But what do I know about anything...
Nope, I cannot. :p It's a blade switch: it's not symmetrical. The cables are all on one side of the switch, therefore if you try to simply flip it around, you'll rip the cables off. You have to resolder it properly. But the actual thing is that if you send your instrument to a professional, it's to have a great job. It doesn't bother me that mistakes are made as humans are fallible, even if I don't like being on the receiving end of it. :lol: However, they should fix it, and that's all I'm asking for.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Nope, I cannot. :p It's a blade switch: it's not symmetrical. The cables are all on one side of the switch, therefore if you try to simply flip it around, you'll rip the cables off. You have to resolder it properly. But the actual thing is that if you send your instrument to a professional, it's to have a great job. It doesn't bother me that mistakes are made as humans are fallible, even if I don't like being on the receiving end of it. :lol: However, they should fix it, and that's all I'm asking for.

Oh, okay. That's reasonable enough. I didn't mean to come off as hostile or sarcastic, so if I looked like it, sorry.

They must do very tight wirings at thomann, if you cant flip the switch without wires ripping off. I always do my wirings with a bit longer wires, so I can move the switch and flip it freely if need be.

Lukhas

Reaction score
Oh, okay. That's reasonable enough. I didn't mean to come off as hostile or sarcastic, so if I looked like it, sorry.

They must do very tight wirings at thomann, if you cant flip the switch without wires ripping off. I always do my wirings with a bit longer wires, so I can move the switch and flip it freely if need be.
It's mostly because it's a blade switch, which has all the phases on one side, and there's not much space in the control cavity to turn around a blade switch. You'd need quite a bit of extra cable length to turn a blade switch around... especially since a lot of the cables are wired to the gigantic 12 phase DiMarzio EP 1111 switch: your options become fairly limited. Ain't like a Les Paul cavity where each pickup has its very own switch, where you have a lot of freedom to do whatever you want... and even include a circuit board instead of wires. :lol:

iu

Zhysick

Reaction score
That's insteresting... maybe they thought you are Van Halen LOL

At least the coil-splitting options and all that stuff worked properly?

Lukhas

Reaction score
That's insteresting... maybe they thought you are Van Halen LOL

At least the coil-splitting options and all that stuff worked properly?
Almost. The theoretical aspect of things works, the switch does what it's supposed to. On the technical aspect of things, the series position on the bridge humbucker has some nasty whistling when using gain but doesn't have any on parallel position, nor the neck pickup has any noise issue at all. Slightly moving the blade switch left and right can change the intensity of the noise. Obviously the split position has noise on both humbuckers, but that's completely expected and normal.

Lukhas

Reaction score
Update, and kind of a wacky one. After receiving the guitar, Thomann's tech declared that outside of the upside-down pickup selector, they didn't find a flaw... even though I kinda sent a video of my issues as they asked me to. However they offered to replace the guitar, no cost involved. I obviously inquired about the pickups, since they're kinda mine. Then, they kinda sent it back without really confirming anything about the wiring. Cue another mail sent, and turns out the Customer Service person was supposed to be phoned before the Tech Service sent the guitar. They did swap out the electronics, and apparently the tremolo of the original guitar had some flaw (which I honestly didn't notice).

I think something got lost in the French-German translations... :lol:

Zhysick

Reaction score
With diso luck you will get a better guitar and correctly wired this time lol

Lukhas

Reaction score
With diso luck you will get a better guitar and correctly wired this time lol
It's not so much the guitar that was bad, but the wiring that went from bad (my screwup) to worse (a professional screwing it up). :lol: The fact that we're dealing with a foreign company also is an issue as you have to translate back and forth and make sure nothing is lost in translation. It's been pretty slow more than it's been "bad", especially as whoever would reply to me wasn't necessarily the same person from day to day; which is expected when treating with such a big company. I wonder if I would've had less communication "issues" (a bit harsh to say that) if I had used English to communicate instead of my native French... :lol:

Zhysick

Reaction score
It's not so much the guitar that was bad, but the wiring that went from bad (my screwup) to worse (a professional screwing it up). :lol: The fact that we're dealing with a foreign company also is an issue as you have to translate back and forth and make sure nothing is lost in translation. It's been pretty slow more than it's been "bad", especially as whoever would reply to me wasn't necessarily the same person from day to day; which is expected when treating with such a big company. I wonder if I would've had less communication "issues" (a bit harsh to say that) if I had used English to communicate instead of my native French... :lol:

Even if Thomann have a few spaniards and a spanish customer service I always contact them in English: that way I get a faster response (they don't have to redirect the issue to the spanish team which, probably, is formed only by one or two people).

Also there are tons of words about guitars that I don't know how to translate into spanish LOL

Lukhas

Reaction score
Update:

I've had the new guitar for about a week now. It globally boasts the same standards of quality as the previous one, with a few differences. The neck pocket is much tighter, the action can be brought a little bit lower under the low E (depending of your tolerance to buzz). There's a bit of roughness at the edge of the 3rd fret on the treble side. The tuners are straighter, but that wasn't hard to achieve. :lol: Aside from that, it's pretty much the same guitar. A tiny bit better, but not as if they were completely different.

And this time, the pickup selector is wired correctly. :rofl: