NGD(Ibanez 7)

• Thread starter NorCal_Val
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
DiMarzio's 7 string pickups are all with the same string spacing AFAIK...

... and a pickup is a pickup, it doesn't see neck or bridge positions, only altered magnetic fields...

Not according to the Ibanez Wiki, it just says Ibanez V87b/V77n

There's a difference for Dimarzio's entire lineup. Bridge pickups are wound hotter than their neck equivalents, which you can see by checking the mV output listed on Dimarzio's website. Recently, KnightBrolaire put together some tables for comparing DC resistance, which conveniently puts the output values all in one place if you want to see how much the neck and bridge configs typically differ by.

That said, does the distance between the pole pieces actually differ between neck and bridge? I looked at schematics for 6 and 7-string pickups on Dimarzio's website, and it's always .402 measured between the pole pieces on F-spaced versions.

Maybe it's a standard rather than F-spaced pickup?

NorCal_Val

Reaction score
There's a difference for Dimarzio's entire lineup. Bridge pickups are wound hotter than their neck equivalents, which you can see by checking the mV output listed on Dimarzio's website. Recently, KnightBrolaire put together some tables for comparing DC resistance, which conveniently puts the output values all in one place if you want to see how much the neck and bridge configs typically differ by.

That said, does the distance between the pole pieces actually differ between neck and bridge? I looked at schematics for 6 and 7-string pickups on Dimarzio's website, and it's always .402 measured between the pole pieces on F-spaced versions.

I talked to someone at DiMarzio this morning, told him what the issue was, and he said that all their 7-string bridge pickups were spaced for trems.
I should be good to go when the pickup arrives.

Reaction score
Not according to the Ibanez Wiki, it just says Ibanez V87b/V77n
Oh, ok, somehow I thought the pictured PUs were DiMarzio...

The strings at the bridge position have less mechanical energy, hence why bridge pickups are generally hotter. It wasn't always like this, early LesPauls and Strats had the same pickups for all positions, with dedicated volumes and different distances to strings to manage output.

Rule of thumb is bridge is hotter than neck, but the player knows best...

Latest posts