NGD- Ibanez Iron Label RG 8 String w/ Pics!

Metal Guitarist

Reaction score
I grabbed this guitar yesterday at Guitar Center in Rockville. This is my first 8 string but I adapted from 7 to 8 string quickly since I was used to the huge neck on my Schecter Hellraiser C-7. This guitar is a beast! It sounds massive and plays super fast. I don't actually mind EMGs on 8 strings. My only complaint is that The low f# can be floppy and can sound out of tune at times so I'm thinking about ordering a heavier gauge string for the f# and using the normal Ernie Ball 8 string set with it but without the 74. What gauge string is best? Anyways, here are the pictures, these really don't do it justice this thing is absolutely beautiful in person!
IMG_6742_zpseadae8e2.jpg

IMG_6745_zps74d3414c.jpg

IMG_6748_zpsacb1f002.jpg

IMG_6755_zpsd7cb462e.jpg

IMG_6767_zpse75c74f9.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_6768_zps0377a572.jpg

IMG_6792_zps72376ee3.jpg

IMG_6804_zps665e2ea8.jpg

IMG_6782_zps5d2233fe.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks great. :yesway: I love the Iron Labels, and they make the black really work.

Honestly, I use a 74 for F#. The problem is those EB 8 string sets are brutal, and the middle strings (low B to D or so) are stupidly heavy - heavier than the regular 6- and 7-string sets, and on a longer scale.

Try a more balanced set and the F# should start to feel a lot better. The perfect set for me right now is the D'Addario 9-42, with a 56 for the B and 74 for F#. It's a bit easier to use the 7-string 9-54 set with a 74, too. I actually use that for F standard and Drop A with a low E.

AKopp

Reaction score
Congrats. I have the same guitar. I run an 80 for the low F#. Tightens up nicely.

Bohmer

Reaction score
Congrats! I have the same one and love it:hbang:
I dropped mine to EAEADGBE using an 80 on the low E, getting ready to go to a Kalium 86 next string change for a bit more tension.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Very nice, love the white binding. I'm loving my RG8 lately but I agree with you that sometimes the low F can sound like its out of tune. I just have to play it lightly or it'll do that and buzz as well. I was thinking of getting a heavier gauge as well. :agreed:

Nice score!

studmiester7

Official Logo
Reaction score
I"ve also got the same IR8, but I didn't have any issues with my strings being floppy. I use the D'Addario .11-.74 and play it in drop E just fine. You just need to set it up, is all and you'll be super fine!! Happy NGD!! :D

Metal Guitarist

Reaction score
I"ve also got the same IR8, but I didn't have any issues with my strings being floppy. I use the D'Addario .11-.74 and play it in drop E just fine. You just need to set it up, is all and you'll be super fine!! Happy NGD!! :D

Having a guitar luthier that lives down the street from me give it a full set up right now actually!