NGD - Ibanez RG652 AHM (Mixed Feelings)

neoclassical85

Reaction score
What's up guys. Long time Jackson DK2 Japan player here. I finally decided to treat myself to a new guitar and ordered a beautiful Ibanez Prestige in Nebula Burst which costed a pretty penny. We don't really get those guitars in shops where I live, so I took a chance and ordered it.

First impressions: Absolutely beautiful instrument. I fell in love with the look of it. Amazing quality with the craftsmanship and hardware as expected with a $1600+ guitar.

However, ive always heard about how great people find these high end Ibanez necks, but I'm not gelling with it. I've never bought a guitar without trying it first, and I'm super disappointed with the playability vs my Jackson guitar.

The Ibanez neck is wider and not nearly as fast in my hands. I don't have very long fingers so maybe the Jackson is just a better fit for me. I lowered the action a bit and set it up to my liking but I'm just not as fast with it and having a lot of trouble sliding around and playing fast licks.

Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I'll get used to it but I was really hoping I would LOVE the feel of it. Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neoclassical85

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've been playing for 15 years and always set up my own guitars but I've never had the Ibanez edge bridge. I'm going to tweak it a bit and play it for a few more days but I don't think there's any way this is ever going to feel as good in my hands as the Jackson. If only I could get the beautiful asthetic of this guitar with the playability of the Jackson DK2M Japan neck/fretboard

neoclassical85

Reaction score
If I'm into the Jackson style fretboard size and feel, what other guitars might I like? I can't try them here is the problem so I'd love some suggestions. How about the EBMM JP6? Thanks in advance guys, I really want to get an Axe in my hand as amazingly playable as the DK2M with an almost identical feel in a higher end guitar

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've been playing for 15 years and always set up my own guitars but I've never had the Ibanez edge bridge. I'm going to tweak it a bit and play it for a few more days but I don't think there's any way this is ever going to feel as good in my hands as the Jackson. If only I could get the beautiful asthetic of this guitar with the playability of the Jackson DK2M Japan neck/fretboard

Get another dk2m and refinish the body.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
The Jackson Dk1 “dinky” would be a good option as well. I have a custom shop kelly and have had numerous Jackson and the dk1 neck is thinner then the lot of them.
also I bought a 5320 Ibanez for fun and found it wide as well. However I got used to it pretty fast and it’s become my number 1 lately. But those necks aren’t for everyone. The jp6 is also a great option.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
I’ve got a tech that does all my partscasters. I choose the parts, call him up, drop it off and get a perfect guitar.

Find a good tech, tell him what you want to do, and switch the Jackson neck for the Ibby neck and sell the Ibby neck and Jackson body.

Winning.

For reference, in an ESP guy. I’ll find a guitar body I really dig and have my guy put an ESP neck on it.

neoclassical85

Reaction score
I’ve got a tech that does all my partscasters. I choose the parts, call him up, drop it off and get a perfect guitar.

Find a good tech, tell him what you want to do, and switch the Jackson neck for the Ibby neck and sell the Ibby neck and Jackson body.

Winning.

Man that would be amazing. I'm not sure that the Jackson neck would fit the Ibanez body, the Ibanez neck is a bit wider but I love the idea

neoclassical85

Reaction score
The Jackson Dk1 “dinky” would be a good option as well. I have a custom shop kelly and have had numerous Jackson and the dk1 neck is thinner then the lot of them.
also I bought a 5320 Ibanez for fun and found it wide as well. However I got used to it pretty fast and it’s become my number 1 lately. But those necks aren’t for everyone. The jp6 is also a great option.
Thanks for the reply man. JP6 might be a better feel for me. Im going to try to give this guitar a bit more of a chance. I also found the pickups weren't as hot sounding as the SD's in the Jackson and I can't get squeals and really hot sounding bends out of the tone, but it's definitely thicker and fuller sounding as it should be. Hopefully I come around on it man, I want to love it!

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents: Stick with it for a few weeks until you make a decision. When you've spent thousands of hours on 1 platform, and you decide to play on another, your muscle memory will tell you something is wrong. Spend some more time with the Ibanez. Maybe it will work out for you and you will find some positives.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Keep in mind Jacksons tend to have compound radius necks (12-16" afaik?) and the Ibanez doesn't, the Ibanez also has a different back shape, possibly nut width, etc.

This is actually one of the reasons I didn't end up getting an RG550DY earlier this year. My favorite neck is my RG2550 which is 18-20mm, and the 550 is 17-19. That 1mm difference made me ditch the whole purchase with everything else being very similar because I felt it would feel too thin, so I can only imagine the difference going to a different thickness/shape/radius/spacing/etc

SSK0909

Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents: Stick with it for a few weeks until you make a decision. When you've spent thousands of hours on 1 platform, and you decide to play on another, your muscle memory will tell you something is wrong. Spend some more time with the Ibanez. Maybe it will work out for you and you will find some positives.
This. We are creatures of habit and any new neck shape is going to feel weird, if you are not used to it.

My two cents is that there are no neck shapes that are better than others. There are people out there who can tear it up on a Les Paul baseball bat neck just as easily as some can shred on an Ibanez.

Depending on your point of view, learning to play different style necks might actually make you a better player overall.

fortisursus

Reaction score
This is why so many online retailers offer strong return policies.

If you're not super into the Ibby Wizard neck, return it and get something that's closer to the neck profile you're most comfortable with. Though if you do decide to return, hope you kept the shipping box! Though if you do decide to stick with it, I'm sure your body's muscle memory will start to kick in after a couple weeks

neoclassical85

Reaction score
This is why so many online retailers offer strong return policies.

If you're not super into the Ibby Wizard neck, return it and get something that's closer to the neck profile you're most comfortable with. Though if you do decide to return, hope you kept the shipping box! Though if you do decide to stick with it, I'm sure your body's muscle memory will start to kick in after a couple weeks

I did! Thank you!

neoclassical85

Reaction score
This. We are creatures of habit and any new neck shape is going to feel weird, if you are not used to it.

My two cents is that there are no neck shapes that are better than others. There are people out there who can tear it up on a Les Paul baseball bat neck just as easily as some can shred on an Ibanez.

Depending on your point of view, learning to play different style necks might actually make you a better player overall.

True. Strangely enough I've played Les Pauls and I do fine with those thick necks, the frets are super "bouncy" for hammer ons and pull offs. I think its the wide neck (high e to low e width) thats messing with me. Im going to give it a few more days, Ive been warming up to it a bit but at the end of the day if you have smaller fingers I think its going to be more difficult to make stretches on a guitar like this. It also has a longer fretboard than my Jackson so its bigger both ways!

neoclassical85

Reaction score
Update: I've been really warming up to the guitar this week, thanks a lot for the responses and encouragement I think I'm going to keep the guitar but swap the pickups for some Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 SH-2n. Same as the Jackson (as your can tell I don't like change lol).. The DiMarzios don't sound as hot or smooth to me. I'm going to go with white pups because it looks great (I'm not the first to do that) and really compliments the Nebula burst!