NGD: Ibanez RG652KFX-KB

• Thread starter Metropolis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Sold my two indonesian made Ibanez's and got this beauty instead, and I won't regret it. DiMarzio Tone Zone is a bit too muddy for my taste and Air Norton is too low output. Otherwise than that guitar is amazing for the guy who has never owned a Japanese made ibby.

Back to the pickups, thinking I should change them to a DiMarzio CL/LF combo.

DSC_0200%20%E2%80%93%20kopio.JPG

DSC_0202%20%282%29.JPG

DSC_0204.JPG

DSC_0203.JPG

DSC_0198.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0200 – kopio.jpg
    DSC_0200 – kopio.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0202.jpg
    DSC_0202.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_0204.JPG
    DSC_0204.JPG
    956.7 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_0203.JPG
    DSC_0203.JPG
    917.5 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_0198.JPG
    DSC_0198.JPG
    724.9 KB · Views: 105

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Congrats! I bought the same guitar 3 weeks ago! My only real gripe was the pup's as well, but I'm still messing with. I have a Deactivator I may throw her just to see how she sounds.

HNGD

Boojakki

Reaction score
HNGD! I also own one of these and been not to fond about the TZ/AN as well :/ Please tell, when you changed to CL/LF combo as I'm very interested how this would work out.

Metropolis

Reaction score
HNGD! I also own one of these and been not to fond about the TZ/AN as well :/ Please tell, when you changed to CL/LF combo as I'm very interested how this would work out.

Yeah, I will tell you. Illuminator could be another good choice, because I'm a Petrucci fan and it might sound balanced in a bolt-on construction guitar with basswood body.

Besides the pickups I can't get setup of this guitar right as it should be. It's definetly playable but not quite there. Maybe I'm too picky about this, but the nut is bit too high and there's fret buzz in G and B strings around 14th fret. Even when action is at reasonable level.

Boojakki

Reaction score
Good call on the Illu's. I always forget about those, dunno why... Thanks. Maybe I will try these, hm...

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Yeah, I will tell you. Illuminator could be another good choice, because I'm a Petrucci fan and it might sound balanced in a bolt-on construction guitar with basswood body.

Besides the pickups I can't get setup of this guitar right as it should be. It's definetly playable but not quite there. Maybe I'm too picky about this, but the nut is bit too high and there's fret buzz in G and B strings around 14th fret. Even when action is at reasonable level.

I'm having the same issues... It played better out of the box then it did after my 'setup'... Only issues I'm having are frets 1-3 when I get real low. I feel like anything above the 12th fret the action is to high. I put thicker around on her (1 size up) and the timing stability is .....

I'm starting to question my setup ability.

Metropolis

Reaction score
I'm having the same issues... It played better out of the box then it did after my 'setup'... Only issues I'm having are frets 1-3 when I get real low. I feel like anything above the 12th fret the action is to high. I put thicker around on her (1 size up) and the timing stability is .....

I'm starting to question my setup ability.

In this guitar you can get action of the high E string very low, maybe because nut height is just right in that side. Low side should be filed down a bit.

Noticed that raising action affected the fret buzz significantly above 12th fret and now it's barely noticeable. Every guitar is a different animal...

Metropolis

Reaction score

I have DiMarzio Titan in it now. Tight growling mids, enough output and ceramic magnet works best for me, highly recommending to try this pickup! :shred:

bloc

tha vagina finda
Reaction score
I got the same thing in cobalt blue and yeah it's fantastic. I LOVE the pickups.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Just a heads up since were talking about tuning/setups. I have resolved all the issues I had. I messed with the neck relief too much which caused the problems I was having. I put it back to stock relief and lowered the string height at the bridge for each string. AMAZING action now with zero buzz on all the frets!