NGD Ibanez RG7421 with a Crunchlab/Liquifire set

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
I picked one of these used on Ebay for about 300 after shipping. Bought a case, pickups and got a setup and spent just under 700. Would have been alot cheaper but had to get a pickup installation and a setup at guitar center because I dont know how to do these things properly myself. Regardless I've spent more money on other guitars and with the Dimarzios this axe blows them out the water. I've always been an EMG guy but after trying out these I'll never go back to actives again. I don't have any giggable equiptment or anything, just running through a solid state 2x12 100 watt Peavey Vypyr with an MXR Fullbore Metal Distortion pedal. It makes my tone alot clearer and a hell of alot louder. I have it in A standard with a set of 10-52 and a .070 and it handles great. It can go down to drop G and sound great as well. This guitar comes with a coil tap feature. Im not sure if it was setup wrong but the volume drops significantly. I owned a hellraiser and didn't have this issue, although they came stock with that option. Anyways I really like both pickups. Ive been playing baritones the last few years, my previous axe has a 28" scale, I have pretty big hands but it's such a relief to go back to the 25.5" and be using thicker strings again. Makes sweeps and things like that so much easier. I wouldnt mind maybe putting a black binding on it but time will tell on that one. Long story short I'm extremely satisfied with my choice of guitar and pickups. Great bang for your buck on a cheap guitar. I got a Douglas gator skin style case from Rondo and it fits just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0229.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 99

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mangle

Breaker
Reaction score
HNGD you took it in hand and made it happen. Nice when you can go get it like that, eh? Feels good to realize what you like and know a little bit about what sounds good.

From what I know, some volume loss is usual with coil splitting but can be remedied pretty easily. It shouldn't be a significant drop off, especially with high output p/ups.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Clean. And yes, coil splitting means you're cutting output.

HNGD

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
White body and white headstock always works so good on any rg, this one looks baller! HNGD!

Reaction score
Nice looking axe! What pickups were in it when you got it, those aren't original. Photos 1&2 have different bridge pickup from photo 5...

Nevertheless, with passive pickups, as already said, coil split will mean loss of overall volume/power/whatever, but put a compressor before the amp and you're good to go.

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
Nice looking axe! What pickups were in it when you got it, those aren't original. Photos 1&2 have different bridge pickup from photo 5..

They're the same pickups, it's just how the camera picked it up. It came with stock. The bar is pretty reflective. Thanks for the coil tap advice man.

Reaction score
Damn, those photos really tricked my eyes...

I have an older 7421 and it has been one of my main guitars, totally modded and sounding wonderfully...

gujukal

Reaction score
How much of a difference is this guitar compared to a RG7321? I managed to get a RG7321 in pretty rough condition for around 50 dollar. What you think of the bridge? I found that the screws that u adjust the height with is a bit annoying for the hand.

chaneisa

Marc Spector
Reaction score
How much of a difference is this guitar compared to a RG7321? I managed to get a RG7321 in pretty rough condition for around 50 dollar. What you think of the bridge? I found that the screws that u adjust the height with is a bit annoying for the hand.

I have a regular 321MH and a 7421, and the 7421 is way more comfortable for the hand.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Excellent. Love the finish. Ibanez did so many white guitars
and then opted for a black headstock. This works way better.

jovima69

Reaction score
Congrats! I have the same CL/LF set in my RG7321, and yes, volume drops when split. Enjoy that new axe!