NGD: Ibanez RG8WH

• Thread starter SurelyTheEnd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SurelyTheEnd

Surely The End.
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

So I've decided to make the jump into extended range guitars and decided that 7 just wasn't going to be enough :rofl:I'm a huge Deftones fan so that was the main driver for looking at 8 strings, however I generally want to get better at my instrument so I was gonna give some new bands a go (Architects, After the Burial) and visit some old faves for more challenging stuff (Animals as leaders). I'm also toying with the idea of doing some covers on my Youtube Channel too, so the 8 will help there hopefully.

So I managed to pick up an Ibanez RG8 in white used from Andertons for £175 which was a pretty sweet deal if I do say so myself. It's in fairly good condition, it was serviced before i bought it too which is a bonus. I've been getting acquainted with it this weekend in between social event and I am far from proficient, however I imagine that will come in time. I like the low F# however dropping to E makes it a little noodley so I may get a custom set of strings if the new d'Addario 9-74's don't do it ( for the custom set I was thinking 9-42, then 60 and 80 for the B and F#).

Anyway, pictures attached. I'm off to go and learn how to djent like I've just joined a Meshuggah cover band!

SurelyTheEnd

20190112_181828.jpg

20190112_163006.jpg 20190112_181837.jpg 20190112_181851.jpg 20190112_181910.jpg 20190112_181919.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
I love rg8s. The 9-80 set is perfect. You're gonna have a blast. Congrats!

Also, if you don't get on with the pickups the Duncan Pegasus/Sentient soapbars work really well in these imo. Tight fit but they work.

Last edited:

SurelyTheEnd

Surely The End.
Reaction score
I love rg8s. The 9-80 set is perfect. You're gonna have a blast. Congrats!

Also, if you don't get on with the pickups the Duncan Pegasus/Sentient soapbars work really well in these imo. Tight fit but they work.

Thanks, I'll put in an order for a set once I can find a manufacturer in the UK who makes them or I can order custom from. Should make the bass end a little tighter hopefully.

I shall bear those in mind, though I have my eye of a set of Ionizer 8's or an Ionizer with a PAF 8 in the neck. But we'll see. I can get a relatively decent tone out of my Vox Night Train 50 (who saw that coming?!) So my pickup GAS has been quenched...for now :rofl: