NGD. It has no head and a lot of strings.

• Thread starter yellowv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Nice! I like the compact design on those. The Boden 8 was one of the better 8-string designs I have played. I really find fanned frets helpful on 8 strings, though I am pretty neutral about fanning on sevens. That one has a pretty nice top under the grey too.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Nice one!

Of all the headless designs strandberg is still the one of the best in mine opinion!

HNGD!

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Nice. I grabbed the same - that 20% off anniversary deal makes it almost reasonable, looks like yours has a bit better figuring (on both the board and fret board).

Be warned - the finish is relatively thin and chips easily along the edges. I was planning on giving it a week or two before I decided whether or not I was going to keep or return, but a bit of clumsiness pulling it out of my rack made the decision for me. :flame:

Just as well though, it’s good fun to noodle on. The weird neck profile doesn’t bug me as much as the 20” straight radius, but I can’t find another 8 that checks enough of the same boxes - especially the scale, very nice for an 8.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the neck profile and the scale. For me that combo is the best for 8s for me. I also like a flat board. I like it a lot, but I'm still not real comfortable on 8s no matter how much I try. Lol. I also got a Prog 6 on the sale and that thing is amazing.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Nice prog. I was actually toying with the idea of the prog 7 solely for the Richlite but really wanted an 8 (was actually eyeballing the Metal NX 8 when the sale came up).

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful! Congrats :) and thanks a lot for the detailed pictures. Definitely my favorite color of the Original NX line. How do you like the new forearm carve compared to the old one?

I own an Original 8 (previous iteration) that I got pretty much as soon as the NX line launched. It had pretty bad fretwork when I got it, but after sending it in for a fret level it has become one of my favorite guitars I've ever played.

I will say though, the neck feels pretty chunky when riffing on the 8th string close to the nut. Then again, I don't have any extensive experience with any 8 string guitars other than this.

Also, if you don't mind, can you post a close up picture of the bridge saddles? I still don't fully understand the change that the NX line introduced on the bridge.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful! Congrats :) and thanks a lot for the detailed pictures. Definitely my favorite color of the Original NX line. How do you like the new forearm carve compared to the old one?

I own an Original 8 (previous iteration) that I got pretty much as soon as the NX line launched. It had pretty bad fretwork when I got it, but after sending it in for a fret level it has become one of my favorite guitars I've ever played.

I will say though, the neck feels pretty chunky when riffing on the 8th string close to the nut. Then again, I don't have any extensive experience with any 8 string guitars other than this.

Also, if you don't mind, can you post a close up picture of the bridge saddles? I still don't fully understand the change that the NX line introduced on the bridge.
I don't think it was much on the bridge. Just a better adjustment method and the elimination of the grub screw. I'll take a pic later. The headpiece is the main improvement IMO. Arm carve is a bit better but the old carve didn't bother me.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
How’s the quality on these? I want one but all of the QC complaints make me nervous.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
How’s the quality on these? I want one but all of the QC complaints make me nervous.
Ive had several pre NX Strandy's and some had some minor issues. These new NX models have really tightened up. Excellent builds.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
While I'm not much for headless guitars....that is beautiful! Congrats!