NGD Jackson RRXT24-7 and Omega Hades 7 string set

Edika

Reaction score
Browsing ebay, never a good idea, I stumbled upon an advert for a Jackson RRXT24-7. Now I certainly don't need a new guitar but this seemed to be in great condition and the bid so far was quite low. I thought I'll put a max bid I feel comfortable with and if I don't like the guitar I can sell it without any loss. By the title of this thread you can figure out I won the auction lol! Excuse the shitty pics as these where taken in the evnening with my cellphone camera:

IMG_20191023_210415_HHT.jpg
IMG_20191023_210446_HHT.jpg
IMG_20191023_210503_HHT.jpg
IMG_20191023_210509_HHT.jpg
IMG_20191023_210519_HHT.jpg
IMG_20191023_210526_HHT.jpg

Impressions so far, It's a really nice guitar for the money! I haven't really set it up yet and the strings are a bit on a medium height and could go lower. The rosewood fretboard is quite dark which is really pleasant looking but I have some Black Leather dye to put on when I change the strings. The previous owner for some reason put on a chrome knob for the middle one which seems to be the bridge position pot. Not sure if he lost the previous one or he did it to be able to tell which one is which. He also changed the tuners to blue ones which doesn't make sense color wise. Aside from that the guitar is in great shape with just a bit of a rub on the headstock tip and the long horn tip.

As to the guitar itself it's really light but surprisingly doesn't neck dive the moment you put it on a strap. It's generally well done with no cosmetic flaws, the binding is good, the frets seem well but I haven't tested if they need leveling or not. No dead spots or chocking notes however. The electronics as you can see are cheapo and will be replaced. The Jackson pickups are not that bad for stock pickups. They're supposed to be high output but I'd place them to the mid to high output category. Not as muddy as I was expecting them but a bit too thin. They can for thrash quite well and even from A sounded good. When I play the guitar by itself it sounds great and only when I switch to another guitar I hear the difference. For an Indo guitar at the price range they're selling, truth be told I wasn't expecting much. But this is nice.

I'm planning a few simple mods, like changing the pots and to a 5 way switch plus I've already have replacement pups which I put in as you'll see in the next post (reached a 10 image limit per post). I still would not recommend buying these blindly but if you see them in a store or find them really cheap give them a shot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Nice score man! A fine looking axe with lots of potential. I've actually been eyeing one or two of those that came up on ebay these last few months.

Edika

Reaction score
As I mentioned in my previous post I got a replacement set for the stock Jackson pups. When I got the guitar I was thinking of keeping the stocks for a while as they were decent. I sent a message to Omega pickups as I have a few sets from them and I like them, to see if they have any of the 7 string sets they were going to put out but never seemed to materialize. It seems they were royally screwed by the company that provided them with baseplates and bobbins because they told me 80% of the stuff was unusable and they disappeared of the face of the earth when they contacted them for a refund. So aside from doing warranty stuff and sell their existing stock they won't be doing anything new for a couple of years. I hope they do manage to pull through this though. In any case they did hook me up with one of their 7 string Hades sets and a couple more for a great price so here they are!

IMG_20191023_211100.jpg
IMG_20191023_211115.jpg
IMG_20191023_211353.jpg
IMG_20191023_231935_HHT.jpg
IMG_20191023_231937_HHT.jpg

A great improvement from the Jackson stock pickups. The sound is of course a lot fuller and there's more bass response while retaining clarity and. They seem to have more output than the Jackson ones but they're not extreme. The bridge pickup does have the main magnet plus the Ceramic flanks and from what I'm seeing the core magnet seems to be Ceramic too. The neck pickup is a lot lower output and is quite mellow and pleasing sounding. In general they have an open sound without being congested and too compressed and seem to have a balance of frequencies going through them.

As I installed then last night I couldn't run the guitar through my big amps so I'll have to wait until I get a chance to put them to the real test. If possible record something too. I deliberately installed them with the stock electronics to see what sound difference I get when I put the CTS pots and 5 way switch I have on order. I think I'll keep the jack for the time being and if I keep the guitar I might change the cheapo bridge. I'm also planning to get some black Vanson locking tuners and sell the Sperzel ones, even though the tuning stability is great with them.

Edika

Reaction score
Nice score man! A fine looking axe with lots of potential. I've actually been eyeing one or two of those that came up on ebay these last few months.

Thanks man! We must arrange a get together in my house and you can try this and some of my USA Jacksons you've been curious about. I wouldn't mind giving some of your guitars a go too :D!

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Thanks man! We must arrange a get together in my house and you can try this and some of my USA Jacksons you've been curious about. I wouldn't mind giving some of your guitars a go too :D!

Could you make it over to mine for an hour this afternoon?

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
I'll be free tomorrow afternoon I reckon...or morning...whatever suits?