NGD: Kiesel VM8 (I am pleased)

• Thread starter insaneshawnlane
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

insaneshawnlane

Reaction score
Specs:
Vader Multiscale 8
Black Limba Neck and Body
Flamed Maple Top
Deep Umber Stain with Trans Black Edges
Stain Finish
Royal Ebony Fretboard with Stainless Steel Jumbo Frets

I have no business using a camera

Group shot

So yeah...I can say with 100% certainty that I have never been so satisfied with a guitar purchase. Everything on this guitar is as perfect as I could've imagined. Definitely in the honeymoon stage but even still, I have never been so attached to a guitar within 24 hours (I saw it in person/played it for the first time yesterday).

I was surprised at how different the pickups sound when compared to my Aries 7 because, as far as I know, they're the same pickups. The VM8 p'ups have a huge mid range spike that is absent in the A7. I suppose some of that could be attributed to the different woods and construction (the A7 is an alder body/bolt on maple neck as opposed to the VM8's black limba/neck through), but I'm not complaining. This thing can djent.

I cannot believe I just said that :noplease::lol:

Bonus pic: The size difference between the two soft cases is comical

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WorstBandName

Reaction score
That's a lovely guitar.

I'm sure if it's just the pictures, but the multiscale looks different on this one than most that I've seen. Edit - It was just the angle in the early pictures. Looks awesome!

MSUspartans777

Reaction score
Congrats on the new guitar. Saw this on instagram too. Would love to see some vids of it in action. Congrats!

VigilSerus

Guys gals n guitars
Reaction score
That's a lovely guitar.

I'm sure if it's just the pictures, but the multiscale looks different on this one than most that I've seen. Edit - It was just the angle in the early pictures. Looks awesome!

Good, I'm not the only one who saw the picture and was like "wtf is going on, this isn't right" to later realize "oh, its just the angle..." :lol:

HNGD OP, she's a real clean looker!

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
what do you tune this to? I'm thinking about getting one but not sure about the 27.5 inch scale length for the low string because I tune to low E

insaneshawnlane

Reaction score
what do you tune this to? I'm thinking about getting one but not sure about the 27.5 inch scale length for the low string because I tune to low E

I have it tuned to drop e with a .90 from kalium for the low e and I think the tension and sound is great. Going to a .94 probably wouldn't hurt but I like to be able to go up f# so the .90 is a happy medium :yesway:

jorymil

Reaction score
Gotta say - if I'm ever in the enviable position of getting a custom axe, headless would make a lot of sense. Way more portable, and tuning is probably easier as well. Nice guitar!

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
I have it tuned to drop e with a .90 from kalium for the low e and I think the tension and sound is great. Going to a .94 probably wouldn't hurt but I like to be able to go up f# so the .90 is a happy medium :yesway:

awesome to hear. I own an Ibanez 852 and tune to drop E. I use an .80 NYXL. It is a little bit too lose and more importantly the intonation is hard to get right on it. Especially when I fret above the 7th fret. I really am gassing for this Keisel though. I plan on using an .86 for the low E. I kinda wish the scale length went to 28 instead of 27.5 but that's not too big of a difference. How much did the guitar cost you btw?
Save

getowned7474

Neck_Pro
Reaction score
awesome to hear. I own an Ibanez 852 and tune to drop E. I use an .80 NYXL. It is a little bit too lose and more importantly the intonation is hard to get right on it. Especially when I fret above the 7th fret. I really am gassing for this Keisel though. I plan on using an .86 for the low E. I kinda wish the scale length went to 28 instead of 27.5 but that's not too big of a difference. How much did the guitar cost you btw?
Save

I have a VM8 and use a Kalium .86 for the low E, it's perfect for me. I think it's around 17 pounds of tension which is equal to the tension of my other strings, it's not floppy at all.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
I have a VM8 and use a Kalium .86 for the low E, it's perfect for me. I think it's around 17 pounds of tension which is equal to the tension of my other strings, it's not floppy at all.

is the intonation okay on it? Also, how is the clarity? Will Kielsel set the guitar up for your strings of choice if you send the strings to them?

getowned7474

Neck_Pro
Reaction score
is the intonation okay on it? Also, how is the clarity? Will Kielsel set the guitar up for your strings of choice if you send the strings to them?

The intonation is good, it also sounds very clear. The first thing I did when I got it was play the low E string and I was surprised by how loud and clear it was given the thickness of the string. Also yes they set the guitar up with your own strings for free if you send it to them, I had Kalium send my set of strings directly to them.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
The intonation is good, it also sounds very clear. The first thing I did when I got it was play the low E string and I was surprised by how loud and clear it was given the thickness of the string. Also yes they set the guitar up with your own strings for free if you send it to them, I had Kalium send my set of strings directly to them.

awesome to hear. Is there a big advantage to getting a top wood and chambered body on the guitar. I would save so much money if I didn't do it. How much of a tonal difference would it make do you think?