NGD - KM7 w/ a few mods ;)

• Thread starter pettymusic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pettymusic

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I got this a couple months ago and just now getting around to posting about it. 1. Not much free time and 2. Everyday I've been off work it has rained here (Actually flooded here and Pensacola last week) so, no way to take decent pics.

My first impression of the guitar is very good. Plays pretty decent out of the box without set up. The neck is the best feeling neck I've played. I was raised on Ibanez Wizard necks but, they have been hurting my hands a little so, I have most recently been playing PRS and Agile. I have never liked the feel of Schecter necks but, this one is the best I've played. Its thin but, not too thin. Im sure the compound radius is helping in this matter as well.

I went ahead and replaced the nut myself since one of the nut slots was a little low. I swapped the pups out for a pair of Juggernauts. I installed Dunlop flush mount strap locks. I also replaced the push/pull knob with a push/push.

After setting the action and intonation, this guitar plays and sounds like a dream. Everything about it is just plain METAL!!:metal:

I played a show last week and the light weight swamp ash really makes a difference. I look forward to playing this thing everyday.

20140504_101506.jpg

20140504_101514.jpg

20140504_101526.jpg

20140504_101545.jpg

20140504_101558.jpg

20140504_102337.jpg

20140504_102410.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BetterOffShred

Reaction score
Looks Great! :) I really dig the semi-naked finish, letting us catch a sultry glimpse of that wood grain. I also really dig the fret markers, that's kind of unique. I really need to just get over it and buy some BKP's for my RG7620..

Fantastic looking instrument sir!

-Brett

pettymusic

Reaction score
Thanks!

I tried my first BKP a couple of years ago. I have yet to hear or feel a better pickup. I highly recommend them!

pettymusic

Reaction score
Thanks!

The Duncans have a darker sound all together. They are really a perfect fit for this guitar. (Which is why I will hold on to them ;) They offer a great overall balance between lows, mids and highs with more focus on the mids. I had a Nazgul in an Ibanez Arz 7 string that I remember it having more gain than this one. Of course that varies from guitar to guitar. The Nazgul is by far my fav pup from SD.

BKP pups are in a class all their own imho. They just have a different "feel" to them all together. So far I have tried out the following bridge pups from BKP; Cold Sweat, warpig, Aftermath and now a Juggernaut set. Aftermath is usually my favorite but, I am really digging the juggs. They have a slightly warmer tone than the Aftermath and a kinda single coil-esque tone and feel to them. There are a lot of albums out there with BKPs used. I think Misha from Periphery showcases both Aftermath and Juggernaut sets on different albums. Aftermath on older and Juggs on the newest album.

Most of the stuff on my soundcloud is using the Aftermath. When I get the time, I will post more stuff using the juggs.

Chuck

Reaction score
HNGD! Some excellent touches to an all ready great looking guitar.

And damn I think you're the only person on SSO who lives near me! :lol:

TraE

Reaction score
Still anxiously awaiting mine.. great choices on the mods!!

Surveyor 777

I measure things
Reaction score
That looks great! Especially the white pickups - they really class it up. Congrats!

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
Spectacular! Glad to see you gave it time and setup how you like it, but still mention its really good out of the box. HNGD!

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
Pretty much perfect. What more could one want?

can't wait for my white KM-7 to arrive.

pettymusic

Reaction score
HNGD! Some excellent touches to an all ready great looking guitar.

And damn I think you're the only person on SSO who lives near me! :lol:

WOW! Nice to meet you man! Hey, we play shows up at the Vinyl City Music Hall from time to time. Not sure when our next show is but, I'll hit you up. The band is: Gotham City Troubadour.

pettymusic

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the kind responses!

I'm glad this inspired a new purchase, too!

Even after a couple of months, I have no regrets about buying this guitar.

I couldn't be happier! Those who are still waiting, it's worth it.

I have been playing and buying guitars for 26 years and no guitar is perfect. This one was closest to perfect that I've ever purchased. It did not take much to get it where I like it either. Small truss rod adjust, slight intonation set, small height adjustment and it was there. I only swapped the nut out because I'm OCD about that kind of thing. Plus I need the practice for shaping my own guitar nut. I would have been fine though.

I am very surprised at the quality:price ratio of this guitar. Kieth and Schecter really did us all a huge favor with this deal imho!

Latest posts