NGD: Mark Holcomb SE!

• Thread starter Ordacleaphobia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I'd post the 'SO hot right now' picture, but I never saved it.

Anyway, I got mine in almost two weeks ago after I pretty much flat out stole it. Tried to wait a while before typing up my thoughts, but I think every time I pick this guitar up I like it more and more.

I'd have gone outside to get some better shots but I'm just working with a cell phone so I didn't quite see the point; you all know what these look like anyway.

So here she is:
IMG_20160815_132709.jpg

IMG_20160816_090313.jpg

I almost forgot, all NGD shots need to have a foot in them. Sorry.
IMG_20160816_090354.jpg

A better look at the quality of the wood they use-
IMG_20160816_090545.jpg

Don't they make such a nice couple?
IMG_20160816_091128.jpg

IMG_20160816_090816.jpg

The big win in this guitar is definitely the pickups. I'm relatively new to taking my guitar playing anything resembling 'seriously,' and on top of that, I don't make much, so upgrading pickups is one of those things that was always a "maybe later" on my list. I tried the Titans and they were good, but I didn't feel like they were extra-$250 good.
The Alpha / Omega set in here on the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to buy separately knowing now what they sound like. Everything you see in the review and demo videos on YouTube and the like is true. They sing. Every note is clear, everything flows together very nicely, and they still sound nasty and pissed off when you want them too.

Someone mentioned in the superthread about these how much they loved the coil split from the push-pull knob, and I couldn't agree more on that front either. It's much easier to quickly switch from an angry rhythm tone to a nice snappy clean tone than it is on my Ibanez or any of my other guitars, really.

Playability is what you'd expect from PRS, everything is quite smooth. Could use a setup like all new guitars but even the way it was out of the box, I could tell it'd be just as much of a pleasure to play as my Custom 24. The satin neck is nice to have, although it does act as a dirt-vacuum for literally anything that might be on your hands. If you don't wash your hands before you play, this is a great time to start.

Could definitely use a set of locking tuners, since I put those on my B6 clone I've been really missing them on any other guitar without them. Not to say that it drifts out of tune very much, it's just a convenience that I enjoy having.

Even the veneer they used is high quality, I will admit I was concerned about the quality of the 'top' using this finish, but the veneers are definitely nice enough to make it pop still.

End of the day, definitely worth it. Even if I didn't get the deal that I got on this guitar, I would have gladly bought it at full price.
Shoutout to Riffer and the rest of the SE inspection team. Thanks for making sure these things are as awesome as they are.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zeropoint

Reaction score
HNGD!

So jealous and stoked that these seem to be turning out to be really good. I can't wait for mine to ship now.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't see pics, but I wanna respond anyway!

I put those pup's in my ibby RGAIX6FM, and they are absolutely retardedly awesome.

That along would be a great reason to buy that guitar...

HAPPY NGD!

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
Congrats man! I love mine and I also agree wholeheartedly about the pickups, they flat out rule. Honestly on par with the BKP's that I have in my other guitars. I'm all about them :lol:

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Congrats man! I love mine and I also agree wholeheartedly about the pickups, they flat out rule. Honestly on par with the BKP's that I have in my other guitars. I'm all about them :lol:

For real, I expected them to sound good, but I didn't think the difference would be that noticeable, even compared to the name-brand pickups I've played through. I figure if even someone like me can pick up a significant improvement, SD definitely got something right with these.

you almost forgot the cat/pet/baby/todler checking out the box

Shoot, I'll do better next time! :lol:
My cat is deathly afraid of boxes. I've got to teach him. Can't be missing out on forum tradition.