NGD Offset Semi Hollow Goodness

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Here is my new D'Angelico Premier Bedford Semi Hollow. Been eyeing this at GC for quite a while and got such a deal on it I couldnt say no. I've been on a tortoise pickguard and vintage tremolo kick lately so this scratches a lot of itches. There are a lot of details on this guitar that you don't notice until you are pretty close up, sparkles in the paint, extra layers of binding, a set neck joint that rivals Jackson and ESP/LTDs etc.

20240225_094133.jpg
20240225_094143.jpg

Ovangkol Fretboard? Looks and feels like the ebony Schecter uses on their Elite series, so not sure if it's dyed or just is a dark piece, but looks like ebony to me. The block inlays look great, definitely a fake pearloid of some sort, but clean and tidy inlays with zero epoxy fill look around the edges. Built in Indonesia, I have no qualms about the build quality at all. Great work here. The binding is awesome, 3 ply above on the fretboard as well as below on the neck, looks very cool.
20240225_100754.jpg

The single coils actually sound really good, even being tele pickups which I'm usually not a fan of. The bridge sounds great but is definitely gonna get switched out to a hotter mini humbucker, anyone have suggestions there? Also, if anyone has any wiring diagrams they suggest for a 5 way blade switch to have position 4 be split humbucker and position 5 to be full bucking that would be awesome.

The neck joint below feels sooooo good to "hold hands" with this guitar, it immediately makes it feel less jazzbox and more sleeper shredder almost instantly. 14 inch radius fingerboard feels at home and nice playing chords as well as licks and leads up the neck, very happy with it.
20240225_095411.jpg
20240225_095349.jpg

All in all I'm extremely happy with it, I love the modern retro look and always been a fan of Bilt guitars, and this captures the vibe very well. Only gripe is some fret sprout that I've already dealt with, and a bit of microphonic feedback with the humbucker, not sure if it's unpotted or if it's because of the semi hollow hole, but I'd think it'd be feedbacking on all three pickups if it were a culprit of it being semi hollow.

Cheers and thanks for reading.

EDIT: Forgot to speak about the paint...wow. Its definitely not white, up close it's almost pink but has a very light sparkle. It's pretty great.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You loved it you bought it, this is the way (when we can).

JB jr for the mini hum? Depends on budget lol.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn that is pretty sweet! I agree on the neck joint, looks a lot like an EII MII I played recently. I'm kind of surprised there aren't more pickup configs like that with the middle and neck, but I could be unaware/uninformed on that.

Congrats on a rad guitar!

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats! Huge fan of D’angelico myself. If you want to keep the same bridge pickup aesthetic SD, Dimarzio, and TV Jones all have drop in replacements.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Is it possible to learn this power?
Sure sure, you have to sell your soul to guitar center and label yourself as "employee".

Also just found out it's 24.75 in scale which is perfect for me, although weird because I swore it feels like 25.5, which I suppose could be a product of the placement of the bridge/neck in relation to the body.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I loved it when it was sitting at GC but I love it even more now that it's in your crib. Dude, that's a really cool, quirky, and classy looking plank ( if it's possible to be all those things at once). And what a steal! Congrats.

Moongrum

Reaction score
I've never played one, but D'Angelico's sure make some cool looking guitars. I had wanted an Atlantic at one point, but gave up pretty quick being lefty.
Yours is a super nice pick up, especially for that price 🤯