NGD: Ormsby SX7 (metallic lavender + 29 frets)

• Thread starter Dayn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ormsby
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayn

Reaction score
Pics first. Six in the bright sun, one under indoor lighting.

20231129_142122.jpg
20231129_142127.jpg
20231129_142133.jpg
20231129_142137.jpg
20231129_142152.jpg
20231129_142155.jpg
20231129_142506.jpg

Don't mind the fingerprints on it. It's darker without direct light.

This is an Ormsby SX GTR (GTR being the made in Korea line), 7-string, that I bought on sale direct from Ormsby. When they first released the mockup renders, I wasn't too fussed because of the wood and it looked gloss, like the gloss seafoam. Only when they were built and the proper photos came out did I realise, oh shit, it's actually metallic lavender. So I got it during the Black Friday sale for 25%. Worth it.

Specs:
[*] Mahogany body
[*] Wenge 3-piece set neck
[*] Wenge fretboard
[*] Stainless steel frets with glow in the dark side dotes
[*] 25.5"-27.8" (or so) scale
[*] Nunchucker bridge, Old School neck (single coil), three-way switch with push-pull for coil split
[*] Locking tuners
[*] 29 frets

My other Ormsbys have either a Hot Rock or Blizzard in the bridge. The Nunchucker is similar, I think it's hotter. They all sound slightly different but similar enough so I can use the same settings. It came with 10-42+54 strings since I didn't preorder it and didn't get to choose the setup. Will replace it with Winspear 9-64 for drop A.

The fret access to the 29th fret is unreal. The carved set neck makes the heel basically non-existent. For some reason, I find this SX to be better playing than my 6-string TX with 29 frets. I've always said that my Ibanez RG2228 with stainless steel frets is my best playing guitar. I think the SX has beaten it.

Sounds good, plays good. What else is there to say.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Looks sick! Despite not liking Perry very much, the Ormsby GAS has been strong for the last couple months. This next year is going to be tough deciding what I want to buy :lol:

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Necro bump, sorry, but if anyone is interested in this guitar, it's now discounted + free shipping, see:

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Needs more frets

As I mentioned in other threads, the number of frets here (29 frets) makes for an interesting possibility. It allows an F# standard (F#BEADF#B) tuning (like lowest 7 strings on an 8-string) while maintaining the highest note on the 1st string to be a high E (same as the 24th fret in E standard). So, u end up with same range as an 8-string in standard tuning!

Thesius

Reaction score
As I mentioned in other threads, the number of frets here (29 frets) makes for an interesting possibility. It allows an F# standard (F#BEADF#B) tuning (like lowest 7 strings on an 8-string) while maintaining the highest note on the 1st string to be a high E (same as the 24th fret in E standard). So, u end up with same range as an 8-string in standard tuning!

I know all about extra fret fun times. I play 36 fret guitars, and working on a 42 fret build as well.

It was a genuine comment, surprisingly lol

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I know all about extra fret fun times. I play 36 fret guitars, and working on a 42 fret build as well.

By fret 42 how are they not touching lol

ccc444

Reaction score
Sweet, man! Ormsby definitely have their signature thing going on with the wild pickup angles.

What do you use them for? Genuinely curious :lol:

Dayn

Reaction score
Is it better than an Ormsby Custom Shop? LOL
No idea honestly, never played one. But I have four GTR (South Korean) models, with two more on the way, and given how well made they are with great QC in Perth, it's hard to justify paying more. If I'm going to outlay that much for an Australian-made custom, I'd rather save for an Oni.