NGD: POD HD

• Thread starter Gallowsforgrace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gallowsforgrace

Gallows For Grace
Reaction score
Hi all!

Today I have aquired a used POD HD desktop for a great price.

I was considering selling all my gear for an Axe FX II, but couldn't bring myself to do it when it came to the crunch :)

So far, I have only spent a few hours with the unit. I've achieved some unbelievable results, both with headphones straight into the unit, through my Yamaha HS80 monitors and through the power amp via FX return of three very different amps (5150, TSL100, Randall V2).

I've tried the Axe FX II extensively and have obviously fell in love with the tones from that unit, but for the money, with a LOT more tweaking, the POD HD can nip at the heels of the $2700 Fractal. I've heard a lot of people say that the POD is not in the same ballpark, I'd have to disagree. I believe that the POD is in the back row of the stands at the ballpark, taking notes on how to achieve what it's favourite major league player is :)

Obviously it's not at the same standard (for the price, if it was, everyone would own one!) but in comparison, using IR's or into my various speaker/cab combinations, I've been able to get extremely close when trying to nail a nice AC30 dirt sound or a Fender Twin, and this is only a few hours in.

I'm not using it for high gain sounds BTW. I'll leave that to the heads, which offer me enough versatility already. The high gain sounds do sound OK, but I'm yet to tweak them to my liking. I may use them for some easy, convenient recorded sounds or for layering. Through headphones they're great for a bit of practice, though.

Effects are absolutely stellar. I've owned a TC G Major 2 and they're definitely either on par or excel beyond the G in terms of quality, but offer a lot more versatility and IMO are a lot more fun and easy to tweak.

Enough from me, I'm gonna go play with it some more!:hbang:

Cheers :wavey:
Dave

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bevo

Reaction score
Great review!

The AXE is better but if your not going to use it to its max ability then the HD may be a better option. I looked at the AXE and realized I would only use 25% of it, heck I only use 25% of my HD...

Aftermath1

Reaction score
I have the Axe Fx 2 but I want a Pod pretty bad.

Needs pics!

Gallowsforgrace

Gallows For Grace
Reaction score
I can't really be arsed taking and uploading pics!
It's a POD HD Desktop unit.
I have AKG K240mkii headphones, a pair of Black Yamaha monitors with white cones and the amps listed and three cabs, a pevaey with sheffield and Eminence Texas heats in an X pattern, an old 70's Roland 212 with Celestion silver series V12-80's and a 1960A with G12T-75's(Horrible speaker, hate that cab, gonna get rid of it).

Google them if you wanna know what they look like :)
:lol:

unadventurer

ultra lurker
Reaction score
I just picked up a Pod HD Pro and have been using: MeAmBobbo PodHD Tone Guide - Contents as my bible pretty much.. Lots of tweaking but I'm getting really good results. That dude also has a stellar collection of patches for download. I've been tweaking them to my liking. You said you're not using the pod for high gain but there's some nice cleans to build on there.

Enjoy dude! Pod HD owners assssemmmble!

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Happy NGD! Love your music, btw. World Eater is on quite a number of my playlists. What did you use to get the guitar tones for that recording? Do you plan on using the POD HD in your live rig?

Gallowsforgrace

Gallows For Grace
Reaction score
Thanks TMM.
Gallows For Grace is actually no more, I'm glad you enjoyed our music!
I'm always surprised to find people from other countries that have heard our stuff :)
We have three newer songs up on youtube, but the band fizzled out after that as we are all super busy and pursuing other interests/passions.

I used 2 Ibanez RG's which I no longer have in the World Eater recording.
One was a stock RGT320Q with Dimarzio/IBZ pickups, the other an old 90's RG550 w/ JB/59 pickups with nickel covers.

Straight into a 6505 then into a Marshall cab with G12T-75's (Which I despise!)
Tuned standard on 6 strings, believe it or not.
That surprises a lot of people :shred:
All about what you play, not how low you tune!! (Even though these days I'm in G#) :wavey:

Gallowsforgrace

Gallows For Grace
Reaction score
By the way, I WILL be starting a new project this year, and it will feature the POD HD integrated into my rig live using an FBV Express.
I already have enough going on in terms of pedals/switching, I'm gonna keep it fairly simple to access, while taking up hardly any board real estate.
I'll be using it for effects, cleans and vox style grit in sections.

legolas151

Reaction score
Great to hear you liked your POD, dude! I also have one and I'm thinking of buying a new amp for the high gain stuff (which is what I play mostly).
For high gain only what would you say about the V2 in comparison with say the 6505+?

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
Why do you guys keep talking about buying new amps for high gain stuff and what not? Are you implying that the Pod HD's suck at high gain applications?

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
Which is exactly why I'm confused as to why they keep talking about getting a different amp for high gain stuff..

Shask

Reaction score
Why do you guys keep talking about buying new amps for high gain stuff and what not? Are you implying that the Pod HD's suck at high gain applications?
I think that the POD HD is weaker at high gain than clean or mid gain. They really focused more on mid gain than they did in older PODs.

That being said, there are a couple pretty good high gain amps that work well. You can get some good high gain sounds, I just think it would be easier/better if there were more high gain amps and better EQs to work with.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
I think that the POD HD is weaker at high gain than clean or mid gain. They really focused more on mid gain than they did in older PODs.

That being said, there are a couple pretty good high gain amps that work well. You can get some good high gain sounds, I just think it would be easier/better if there were more high gain amps and better EQs to work with.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. Just take a look at Ola Englunds video and tell me his high gain patch doesn't sound fucking killer. There's also a few other clips of high gain patches floating around Soundcloud and YouTube that also sound pretty incredible, and extremely tight. Paul Ortiz also made a video with a rhythm tone he created that was pretty high gain and it once again sounds awesome.

I think if anything, maybe with a few more updates and expansions they will really nail down more high gain amp sims. I'm hoping anyways...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I agree with L1ght. The reason I want the HD is because it nails the high gain tone I've been looking for, judging by several demos.

Shask

Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. Just take a look at Ola Englunds video and tell me his high gain patch doesn't sound fucking killer. There's also a few other clips of high gain patches floating around Soundcloud and YouTube that also sound pretty incredible, and extremely tight. Paul Ortiz also made a video with a rhythm tone he created that was pretty high gain and it once again sounds awesome.

I think if anything, maybe with a few more updates and expansions they will really nail down more high gain amp sims. I'm hoping anyways...
I never said you couldnt get good high gain sounds. I said above there are some good high gain sounds out of it. It just aggravates me that there are basically 2 out of 22 amps that are great for high gain. There needs to be more high gain variety.

But yeah, if you are using one of those 2 amp models, you can get great high gain tones.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
I never said you couldnt get good high gain sounds. I said above there are some good high gain sounds out of it. It just aggravates me that there are basically 2 out of 22 amps that are great for high gain. There needs to be more high gain variety.

But yeah, if you are using one of those 2 amp models, you can get great high gain tones.

Now that, I will certainly agree with. More high gain amps are absolutely necessary. Hopefully an expansion pack will be released.