NGD PRS Custom 24 Floyd 10 Top

• Thread starter haffner1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

haffner1

Reaction score
This is my first post in quite a while as I haven't been on this forum much lately. I've missed posting at least 2 NGDs but this is a big one for me so I figured I'd better. I picked up my 2nd core series PRS on Reverb last week and it came out pretty good! My first one was a Custom 24 non-10 top with moon inlays that I bought new back in 1994. This one is used but in pretty great shape and it saved me about $1.5 - $2K from buying it new. It's also about 1 lbs. lighter than my old one! There are a few scratches on the back of the neck that are very hard to see and a small ding on the back of the upper horn, but otherwise nothing. Fret wear is minimal if any at all. This is a black gold "wrap" burst, so without the usual natural binding.

20240328_162324.jpg20240328_165312.jpg20240328_165318.jpg20240328_165351.jpg20240328_165501.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
The Custom 24 Floyd was my first PRS. Love the satin flamed neck, and Black Gold Wrap is such a classy looking finish.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Classy. Do we know why PRS insists on that big neck heel? Seems pretty superfluous.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Love that finish, had it on a cu24 myself. Enjoy!

@profwoot the amount of guys who shred with that heel are far enough above 0 the heel isnt the problem imo :2c:

haffner1

Reaction score
Classy. Do we know why PRS insists on that big neck heel? Seems pretty superfluous.
I have no idea. Ed Roman used to go on rants about it and had a conspiracy theory about how it had something to do with the CNC machines lol! My old '94 has a much smaller neck heel. Then they went to one that was much longer than this one for a while. This one seems to be somewhere in between the two extremes. It doesn't seem to bother me as far as fret access though.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That is gorgeous. I love the detailed inlays, too. Very nice!

lost_horizon

Reaction score

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah PRS seems like Gibson in having their most popular guitar shapes locked-in by tradition despite being kinda half-baked. I wonder if the core audience would squeal at any improvement like Gibson fans or if it's more about PRS being stuck in its ways.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean come on even with a reasonable heel that neck joint would still look like a tootsie pop.

haffner1

Reaction score
I mean come on even with a reasonable heel that neck joint would still look like a tootsie pop.
I'm not really that concerned about the look per se, as it's really only visible from the back of the guitar anyways. I checked for reference, and the heel on the back of my 2000 RG570 starts at the 18th fret, which is right about where the neck starts to get thicker on the heel of the 2017 PRS. Furthermore, unlike the RG, the PRS doesn't really have shredders as the primary target buyers, although there are some who use them. Personally, if I feel the need to play something where I have to have a heel like a neck thru guitar, I'll just use my Charvel Model 6 instead.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
I have no idea. Ed Roman used to go on rants about it and had a conspiracy theory about how it had something to do with the CNC machines lol! My old '94 has a much smaller neck heel. Then they went to one that was much longer than this one for a while. This one seems to be somewhere in between the two extremes. It doesn't seem to bother me as far as fret access though.

Classic lol

Musiscience

Reaction score
From what I’ve heard, the longer tenon result in better resonance. No idea if there is an actual perceptible difference though :shrug:

protest

Reaction score
Yeah PRS seems like Gibson in having their most popular guitar shapes locked-in by tradition despite being kinda half-baked. I wonder if the core audience would squeal at any improvement like Gibson fans or if it's more about PRS being stuck in its ways.

There is literally 0% of a PRS guitar that is half baked.