NGD: PRS Mrak Holcomb SE (a bit picture heavy)

zeropoint

Reaction score
First off, some pics. These are taken with two different cameras in a variety of flash conditions and overcast indoor daylight, to give an idea of how the finish (Holcomb burst) looks. Near the bottom edge of the front of the body it looks like there's a scratch in some pictures, but it's dust from shipping that has since been removed. I'm happy with the amount of purple in the burst - I was worried it would be heavier on the grey/black burst.

IMG_20160901_115659054_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160901_115941799.jpg

IMG_20160901_115937987.jpg

IMG_20160901_120001668.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_20160901_120034427.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_20160901_120655996.jpg

Bought this one from Axe from their online store, I also got a better deal than I probably should have for this guitar, being brand new. I saw that they had one in stock and marked cheaper than they were when they were out of stock, so I called up the online sales guy and asked if there was any reason for it to be marked down and he gave me some handwaving story about how the Canadian dollar is doing fine and there's no issue with the guitar, it's brand new, factory sealed, in it's box in the warehouse.

So... opinions.

Pros:
Firstly, this guitar plays great. F...in great. The string through bridge is quite decent, and the wide-thin neck profile is a good fit for me, as far as 6-strings go.

It sounds incredible and the Alpha/Omega pickups give a lot of mids and clarity in most positions- from the couple hours I've played this guitar so far, they seem like they're probably not the best pickups for deathmetal or grunge, but for prog/djent/maybe even blackmetal they seem pretty decent. The push/pull coil split is quite nice too, tone wise. Cleans are excellent - I'd say they're one place these pickups shine, for a set that is also quite capable of heavier stuff.

The fretwork and binding is decent- quite good compared to some of the other guitars I've experienced in the price range, really.

Setup seems alright, just needed a tuning out of the box.

This guitar is quite resonant and pretty much sings, plays fluidly with the 20" radius fretboard, etc.

The guitar came with a decent gig bag and a fairly standard patch cable.

Cons:
As good as the pickups and the coil split are, there's a noticible volume drop between normal and coil split positions. Totally managable, but it's very much there.

The body and headstock finish are quite good - but while the satin finish on the neck certainly plays great, it looks like it was kind of hurriedly butchered onto the guitar in places - I'm not sure if that's normal for a satin finish on a neck and I just never noticed (I've only ever had bare wood), but I'm guessing not.

The nut also looks like it was a bit of a hack job. To be expected on a "cheaper" guitar, and I'll likely have it replaced with a Tusq nut or something in fairly short order - but the roughness is hella visible and I'm not real happy with that but it's not a deal breaker since it should be easy to replace.

All in all, I'd say I'm quite happy with what I got, especially considering the wait period was only 7 days including a hiccup with my shipping info :lol:

Well worth the money spent.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zeropoint

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm pretty stoked.

Now I just gotta buy a bigger stand (I've got a couple more guitars than what's shown)

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
congrats! good to hear you got a nice deal on the instrument brand new, especially being in Canada.

Yeah the nut definitely wasn't cleanly filed. Honestly the first time i've seen that on an SE. This may be due to the fact they had to be widened to accommodate the thicker 3 bottom strings for the 10-52 set. Definitely rushed. But overall not a big deal, more aesthetic than anything.

Nice top on it. Enjoy!

SwanWings

Reaction score
Huh. happy ngd!

...and I just got a phone call from sweetwater yesterday saying that their shipment has been pushed back again....

zeropoint

Reaction score
Huh. happy ngd!

...and I just got a phone call from sweetwater yesterday saying that their shipment has been pushed back again....

Just gotta live in a place where metal is totally off the radar I guess. I feel like I got incredibly lucky. Like I just stared in disbelief when I got the shipping notice because I assumed they didn't actually have one in stock and I'd have to wait a few weeks, since that seems to be the going trend for these ones.

crystallake

Reaction score
Huh. happy ngd!

Are you able to cancel? Lark and Chicago Music Exchange has them in stock.

SwanWings

Reaction score
Just gotta live in a place where metal is totally off the radar I guess. I feel like I got incredibly lucky. Like I just stared in disbelief when I got the shipping notice because I assumed they didn't actually have one in stock and I'd have to wait a few weeks, since that seems to be the going trend for these ones.

yeah, I'm guessing with all the interest in these, there's a crap ton of preorders still being filled from even before the guitar was actually supposed to be available. From what I can tell, everyone who liked the core version but didn't have 4 grand to drop on one when they were available is probably grabbing one now. What I'm wondering is where the bottleneck is in the delivery of these instruments.

zeropoint

Reaction score
What I'm wondering is where the bottleneck is in the delivery of these instruments.

Given that they're made at wmi where tons of other guitars are made, or bet either the weird radius neck or probably more likely the pickups.

Just guessing though

SwanWings

Reaction score
Given that they're made at wmi where tons of other guitars are made, or bet either the weird radius neck or probably more likely the pickups.

Just guessing though

Yeah, I figured it's either the odd specs or the pickups. My money is on the pickups though, since they haven't announced them for sale yet as regular production pickups yet.

Djentlyman

Reaction score
The purple almost looks red in some of those pictures, still a very nice guitar! Some light sanding and that nut will look a lot better. HNGD.

zeropoint

Reaction score
The purple almost looks red in some of those pictures, still a very nice guitar! Some light sanding and that nut will look a lot better. HNGD.

Thanks! And yeah I think the red is just because of the overly saturated colors that some settings on canon cameras give.

zeropoint

Reaction score
Also probably not the thread for it, but I bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo at the same time and have been using it with the free LePou VSTs and I can straight up throw my Peavey vypyr practice amp in the garbage for "condo life" guitar playing, with how the tone compares in general :lol:

How I didn't figure this out sooner, I am not sure.

I reiterate what I said about the pickups in the Holcomb SE being awesome.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I'm glad you're happy but tbh I'd be rejecting the guitar based on the half-finished looking satin finish on the neck. You can see sanding marks, that's way below acceptable imo.

zeropoint

Reaction score
Yeah still on the fence about that. Not really the level of finish you'd expect - hell the body on my Jackson JS22-7 doesn't even have visible sanding marks and that's a much cheaper guitar.

The pictures were meant to emphasize the imperfection under hard light (since everyone wants to believe SE's have bulletproof QC), but it's definitely there.

zeropoint

Reaction score
Under more normal light:

IMG_20160903_162942773.jpg

Definitely still visible sanding strokes but doesn't look so much like I found it on the road :p

Black43

Hated Ibanezes once
Reaction score
You've done a good job on that. But you shouldn't have to use effort to make the guitar what it should have been in the first place. I would have sent it back.

HNGD and I'm glad you were able to resolve it.

zeropoint

Reaction score
Sorry, not to be misunderstood - The first picture was in bright daylight to show the imperfections / sanding strokes in the satin finish. The last one is in normal lighting. I have done zero things to the guitar to correct the issue.

If it looked like the first picture under normal indoor lighting, it would have gone back, be 200% sure of that.