NGD: PRS SE SVN (Gray Black) - Good to have a PRS again

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I used to own a PRS SE Mark Tremonti. Sold it and regretted it ever since. I did at least make like a $100 profit off of that guitar because of how cheap I bought it for and how high I was able to sell it. Anyway, after switching to 7-string guitars I didn't think I'd ever own a PRS again despite liking the brand a lot. Last year, I searched to see if they had a 7-string model available and it was discontinued but it just so happened the very week I searched for a PRS 7-string, the announcement for the PRS SE SVN came out. I snatched one ASAP.

I ended up getting the Gray Black finish. Most of my guitars are dark but I just didn't dig the Black Cherry finish. I was pleased to see that it was a 26.5" scale and fixed bridge (versus 25.5" and tremolo). There's a dark golden honey colored binding around the top edge of the body. Isn't present anywhere else on the guitar and doesn't continue into the cutaway on the treble side.

The back of the neck is gloss finished. Big drawback if that's something that affects you. Other than that, the neck is on the thicker side but I love it. Feels nice and solid and is easily playable for me at least. I don't like super thin necks.

Fretwork was and is great although fret wires 2 and 5 have seemed to pop/split the gloss finish on the ends at some point (possibly before I got it even). There's not a chip missing or anything like that, just a slightly visible line which can be felt if you run only your fingernail across the edge. I can't feel it with my fingers I've noticed. Time will tell if that's an actual issue or not but it's not something that's easily noticeable visibly or tangibly. It's nitpicking really, especially at this price.

Tuning stability is good. What I'd consider average/acceptable for a fixed bridge at this scale. I haven't had any intonation, tuning, or action issues with this guitar at all.

Bridge is smooth. If you rest your hand on it, there are no sharp points or rough edges to be felt.

The 85/15 "S" pickups are pretty alright. They're not the tightest or clearest but they are versatile. I'd say that's what stock pickups should aim for generally. I prefer them over the mushy-feeling Solar pickups that come stock in the Ola Englund Washburn and Solar guitars. Cepheus passive pickups that come stock in Agile guitars are definitely more metal geared and sound great in that application but they're less versatile because of that too. So currently in my book it's 85/15 "S" and Cepheus passive > Solar pickups as far as true stock pickups go that I've had experience with.

I like that they put the coil split on the tone knob which is behind the bridge. I don't like the push-pull being on my volume and I don't like it being close to the strings. The pickups sound good split too. Once again, nothing insanely standout but they work well in multiple contexts.

The gig bag is excellent. Anyone who's gotten a PRS with one before knows they're awesome. Makes the purchase have even more value.

I think that's all I have to say really. I'm debating on switching out the pickups with a Guitarmory Orion set I've ordered. Writing this review has made me question that move though since the stock pickups really are quite decent. If I do swap, I'll probably sell the 85/15 "S" set rather than sending them in to be rewound into something else. I have a feeling someone would appreciate these a lot and I'd hate to just trash them like that. If I do swap, the cream colored bits will probably be swapped for straight black at some point. I've never been a fan of the cream stuff.

:worth:

Time for pics as usual:

yrliiqatj3cud296g.jpg

v1kn1vok5a6xlzx6g.jpg

33p31d574pd98bi6g.jpg

dpdw0rax3mf45um6g.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I have a red one. I installed a Nazgul/Sentient set and it feels perfect. :agreed:

I kinda wish I got the black one, but I already have two grey/black PRS SE's so I didn't want to look all samey. Plus the black pickups look killer with the red finish and cream rings.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I have a red one. I installed a Nazgul/Sentient set and it feels perfect. :agreed:

I kinda wish I got the black one, but I already have two grey/black PRS SE's so I didn't want to look all samey. Plus the black pickups look killer with the red finish and cream rings.

That actually gives me the idea of moving my Naz/Sen set from the KM-7 to the PRS. I don't feel very strongly about that set in the KM-7 because it's a bit boomy at times. Especially considering I have the KM Fishmans in another KM-7.

If I do that, I'm going to need more guitars for the pickups I've already ordered though. :erk: :lol:
I collect guitars like pieces of art, I swear. I'm not sure if I should feel proud or disgusted.

Shask

Reaction score
Looks nice! I have really been into PRS lately also. I got two 6 strings within the last year. I actually have a Floyd model that is that same color. I have a set of Fluence Moderns to throw in it when I get time.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
congrats!
I briefly checked out a PRS SE SVN a few months ago and it was quite nice; very impressed. I have an SE-7 which I really like and prefer since I'm not much of a fan of extended scale lengths.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Looks sweet. I agree with you fully on the cream components. That style never really appealed to me either.

Yup. I understand them on the red guitar, but it looks ugly on the black grey one. They should have did like they did for Ben Savage's SE SVN and made all the plastic black. His guitar looked fucking sweet.

28430475_188251941788618_7936923207355858944_n.jpg

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I’ve been wanting one of these for a while. Technically, I want the stealth version that just came out in the EU. But a long scale 7 from PRS in pretty sweet in any form. Happy NGD!!

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
Nice pick up man, I've been "watching" one on reverb for a while.

This is beating a dead horse I know but of the over 25.5" scale 7's in this range (schecter km's, jackson ht7s, prs svn etc) which has been the most impressive? I understand the Km is slightly more money so it might be safe to say that one.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Nice pick up man, I've been "watching" one on reverb for a while.

This is beating a dead horse I know but of the over 25.5" scale 7's in this range (schecter km's, jackson ht7s, prs svn etc) which has been the most impressive? I understand the Km is slightly more money so it might be safe to say that one.

That's a really difficult question to answer actually. If I could easily say which one, I probably wouldn't own the others so here's a read for you. A lot of this will be covered in my NGDs for the SLS and newest KM but here you go...

PRS SVN ($819)
This one is cheaper than the rest by at least $300 minimum AND it includes a gig bag. I chose this guitar because it's less aggressive/more refined looking. It's a staple look that isn't trendy imo. It gives me something to play in contexts where it's not all metal all the time. Looks matter to me. This is a basic guitar. Nothing extremely fancy other than looks but it is very well made indeed imo. If you dig the look and don't want extra features, get this. This is a GREAT solid guitar. The neck is not the thinnest, about the same as the C-7 Apocalypse maybe a smidgeling thicker. Exact measurements can be found online of course. The neck is glossed unlike all of the other guitars mentioned below.

Schecter C-7 Apocalypse ($1119)
This one is all around great imo and the pickups are unique and FANTASTIC. The contour isn't as comfortable as the KMs because it lacks the rounded edge and has a dip right before the edge which thereby accentuates the hardness of that lip. Super lightweight despite being thick in the body. The neck is also thicker than the KMs (which are unlike the standard from Schecter) so this won't be for everyone but I like it. Has most of the extra features of the KM/SLS except no carbon fiber reinforcement rods, uses a Graph Tech XL Black Tusq nut, neck is maple/bubinga, and only has a 12th fret inlay.

Schecter KM-7 MK-II ($1149 - Nazgul/Sentient)
Great all around guitar. Not sure the pickups fit the swamp ash wood just right but it's definitely usable. Has lots of nice features such as carbon fiber rods, Schecter locking tuners, Luminlay side dots, stainless steel frets, Hipshot hardtail bridge, nice neck woods (maple/wenge), and offset/reverse fretboard inlays (which I LOVE having because I get lost sometimes). I wish this guitar came in more finishes because I would own more than just the two I have now. I'm really trying to diversify the looks of the guitars I own instead of being that guy who owns 7 pairs of the same clothing for every week of their life. haha That's why I'm excited about the MK-III import that is approaching. $30 more than the C-7 Apocalypse gets you those nice fretboard inlays, carbon rods, and Ernie Ball compensated nut but (IMO of course) at the expense of losing the superior Schecter USA Apocalypse VII (Alnico V + Ceramic) pickups.

Schecter C-7 SLS Elite ($1259)
This is a great guitar if you want Fishman Moderns. That's why I bought it. Feel like the fade is a bit weird when combined with the cream binding everywhere and natural sides. I likely would not modify this guitar (especially with having soapbar routes since that incurs more of an expense when switching pickups) but would sell it should I grow tired of the pickups. The controls are better here than on the KMs imo. TWO push-pulls, one for each pickup and a 3 way switch instead of toggle. This has all of the features of the KM but the neck is maple/walnut/padauk, has no Luminlay side dots (they're abalone just like the fretboard inlays), has stupid soapbar pickup routes, and is also is a bit thicker than the KM in the neck and body. This guitar offers nothing over the KM-7 MK-II guitars unless you want these pickups, a thicker body/neck guitar, or prefer the look of this one. If those aren't pluses, I couldn't justify getting this over the KM because the KM is $110 cheaper and is cheaper to modify if staying with passives.

Schecter KM-7 MK-II ($1469 - Fishman KM set)
Same as the passive model but this is the current model going forward. Only worth it if you want the pickups, otherwise get the passive model while you still can.

Agile ????? (max of $800)
I have 6 Agiles. With patience for the right one to come into rotation on RondoMusic.com, you can get a guitar with stainless frets, a few Bare Knuckle pickup sets installed for only an extra $200! (I included that in the $800 max), several scale length options (25.5", 26.5", 27", 28.625", or multiscale), many finishes, glossed or satin necks, etc. Doubt you'll see carbon fiber rods any time soon but there were already some rare Luminlay equipped models (although they were ugly last time I saw those). The hardware is decent but you can always upgrade it if you wanted. I would put these above the PRS if you're patient because you can get several different varieties and can get some better features too potentially. It's a waiting game though to get what you want.

Jackson HT7 ($899)
Don't own it, but I have played one though. All I can say is I'm disappointed that this guitar has a basswood body, bolt-on neck, and bad consistency/turnout of finish when the PRS gives you set-in neck, mahogany body, great finish, and a gig bag for $80 less. If you look at the ocean blue finish of the Jackson, it looks like someone ran out of paint and couldn't complete the finish. So much gray shows through in streaky bits. Maybe it's supposed to look like that? I don't like it. You do get Luminlays, graphite neck reinforcement, and locking tuners on this guitar. For me, those are less important features than what the PRS does right though (body wood, construction, and finish).

Overall, the KM passive model is just a good foundation with great features and isn't even the most expensive. I'm very sad they're discontinuing it in favor of the Fishman model but I understand because he isn't going to endorse both Seymour Duncan and Fishman at the same time. Get those passive models while you can.

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
Wow, I'm sorry you had to write all of that! Thank you.

Very informative. I was a bit surprised you disliked the HT7 so much but can also see why considering you go for looks. I briefly had one that I thought was really solid. It played really well had solid fretwork comfy body etc. Pickups were meh and yes the finish looked like they were trying to save every penny they coomuld on that blue.

Anyway because I always search used and wait for a random person to lowball himself on pricing I can have the guitars listed for mostly comparable prices. Its sounding like the older KM ii is the best option followed by the Apocalypse then prs.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Wow, I'm sorry you had to write all of that! Thank you.

Very informative. I was a bit surprised you disliked the HT7 so much but can also see why considering you go for looks. I briefly had one that I thought was really solid. It played really well had solid fretwork comfy body etc. Pickups were meh and yes the finish looked like they were trying to save every penny they coomuld on that blue.

Anyway because I always search used and wait for a random person to lowball himself on pricing I can have the guitars listed for mostly comparable prices. Its sounding like the older KM ii is the best option followed by the Apocalypse then prs.

Hey no problem man. And yeah, your assessment is basically the how I feel. KM then Apoc then PRS. I would buy any of those 3 again. The SLS is a one-only as is the Fishman KM. Agile is a wildcard.

DevMag

Reaction score
Hey I wanted to ask any owners of the PRS SVN a question. I use my fingers to play guitar and I wanted to know the measurement for the string spacing. There are no specification that I can find about the measurements and I want to make sure the strings have a good amount of space between them before buying this guitar. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
I use my fingers to play guitar and I wanted to know the measurement for the string spacing.

I had to chuckle at this.

As for the spacing, what your probably really looking for is neck size/ width/ radius etc.

Try to find the specs for you current favourite guitar and see how comparable it is to the SVN. As far as I'm aware the strings just follow the neck profile and are evenly divided between the 7 strings minus a bit of space at each end.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Hey I wanted to ask any owners of the PRS SVN a question. I use my fingers to play guitar and I wanted to know the measurement for the string spacing. There are no specification that I can find about the measurements and I want to make sure the strings have a good amount of space between them before buying this guitar. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

I had to chuckle at this.

As for the spacing, what your probably really looking for is neck size/ width/ radius etc.

Try to find the specs for you current favourite guitar and see how comparable it is to the SVN. As far as I'm aware the strings just follow the neck profile and are evenly divided between the 7 strings minus a bit of space at each end.

Yeah, even if I did measure the string spacing for you it's dependent on string gauge even. The neck width and radius should be available online

DevMag

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies!
I understand what you guys mean and didn't think to just find the neck width. Only reason why I asked is cause I have a 6 where the strings are spaced just enough for my fingers to play with no issues, but my friend has an 8 string where the strings are so close together that my right hand just felt so cramped and unable to find any comfortable position. I appreciate the help!

Wusthof XIII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I do a lot of reading on here and haven’t posted in awhile. So long in fact I forgot my log in info and am not receiving the password reset emails they are sending so I created a new username. I’m curious what you ended up getting. Assuming you are still an active member and will receive this. The reason I ask is that I have the PRS SE SVN and was considering another 7-string. I also have a Schecter Banshee Elite 8 but use numerous tunings for 7 & 8 strings and just want to grab-n-play versus re-tuning all the time. By the way, I put a Bare Knuckle Brute Force in the bridge of my PRS SVN and couldn’t be happier with it. It is by far one of the best pickups I have heard for prog metal.