NGD - Purple GOC Materia 8

Goatfork

Reaction score
First things first, the pics:
BEQLGCB.jpg

cQt15b0.jpg

BlvkVlt.jpg

I've been extremely interested in a headless 8 for a while now, something small and extremely portable for when I'm away from home -which is very often. I started seeing these GOCs on Instagram and really liked how they looked, but couldn't justify dropping a grand on something that I wasn't sure if I'd even like the feel of. After a year or so of bouncing the idea of getting a headless around, a friend on Facebook put up a reasonably-priced listing and I just had to jump on it.

Here's my initial impression:

Pros:
-I really, really like how this thing looks and feels. The neck feels clean and smooth, and the spacing of the strings is really comfortable.
-I love the grain and finish
-The bridge is surprisingly comfortable
-It's really small, perfect for travel once I get an appropriate gig bag. I'm currently considering the H80K from Quantum Industries.

Cons:
-The side dots are red and the neck wood is dark brown, and I'm colorblind. I can tell where the markers are if I look close, but I often find myself lost -especially since the scale length (25.5-27) is much smaller than I'm used to. I will almost certainly slap some white dot stickers on the side as a simple fix.
-It's really, really small, too small for me to play live. I'm a big-ish dude (6'2", 220lb) and this thing would look goofy as hell if I played it the way I play my mains. I didn't buy it to be a live guitar, but having the option would be nice.
-The action on the higher strings is a bit high, but that's an easy fix. Just waiting on strings in the mail.

Overall, I'm incredibly stoked. This thing is incredibly fun to play, and it's my first NGD in several years. (I bought a bass in 2020, but that doesn't quite scratch the same itch.) I'm considering getting a brass volume knob to complement the saddles, but the black looks pretty sick as is. I'm sure I'll update the thread with more pics soon if I pull the trigger on that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude it is really pretty! The grain alone looks awesome, hopefully you get used to it quickly and the fret markers won’t be an issue for long. Congrats!!!

Yelir

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would die to get a purple 8 string! I saw a listing from Impulse on IG about the 6/7/8 lot of purple Materias. I'm not sure if I would prefer to have the Endurneck on a strandberg or if these are much better QC. The prices are at least a lot easier to swallow.

musicman61554

Reaction score
Wooooo that is some sexiness right there. Seems like its hard to get some GOCs. The ones on their site aren't really my thing. I love some of the ones posted randomly by peeps on here and other sites.