NGD : Rare!? reverse headstock content

• Thread starter Stooge1996
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stooge1996

Reaction score
Got this new guitar earlier in the week and have only had time this morning for a NGD. This is my second purchase from guitarplanet japan and it took 3 days to arrive! This is my first pre-prestige MIJ ibanez and it is unbelievable, the neck is super thin and it is in amazing condition especially the lo-pro. Judging from the serial number this rgr-550 is a 1993 model. I can't find any information on the guitar other than the factory stamps. I've seen one other rgr-550 online but in atlantic blue.

Also I have no clue what pickups are in it as there is nothing on the baseplates but they absolutley rip :shred:

[URL=http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/Ranko14/media/20150606_110651_zpsjyvvvqmv.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/Ranko14/media/20150606_110707_zpsm5frjxtc.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/Ranko14/media/20150605_170209_zpsqjsstuqm.jpg.html][/URL]

Also if someone could help me with the symbols in the neck pocket? No clue what X and Y mean.

[URL=http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/Ranko14/media/20150605_170230_zpszaoq8aoh.jpg.html][/URL]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SandyRavage

Reaction score
Why couldn't this be a standard model.... This is absolutely my dream setup right now.

pdbeaton87

Reaction score
Nice man! I just went to Guitar Planet in Ochanomizu, Tokyo yesterday. I had to inquire about the new FGN Iliad JIL-ASH-DE664-M, dude said they are hard to come by right now with such a short supply of them.

RG550 - Ibanez Wiki

I always refer to this wiki about Ibanez models..

Stooge1996

Reaction score
Nice man! I just went to Guitar Planet in Ochanomizu, Tokyo yesterday. I had to inquire about the new FGN Iliad JIL-ASH-DE664-M, dude said they are hard to come by right now with such a short supply of them.

RG550 - Ibanez Wiki

I always refer to this wiki about Ibanez models..

This is my second guitar from them and I plan on more! I've sussed out that wiki and it does not have alot for the rgr550 haha

pdbeaton87

Reaction score
Looks like it was at least made in Japan, so that is a good sign! Pretty cool, like guitar planet's website says, it looks like it was designed after the PGM300.

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
I've never seen anything quite like that in all my years of ibanez collecting, buying, selling and trading. Googling "rgr-550s" I found a similar guitar for sale, but with only one pic. It has the same pickups as yours in the neck and middle it looks like.
RGR-550S

Maybe MaxOfMetal has seen one, he is probably your best bet for any info.

Stooge1996

Reaction score
I've never seen anything quite like that in all my years of ibanez collecting, buying, selling and trading. Googling "rgr-550s" I found a similar guitar for sale, but with only one pic. It has the same pickups as yours in the neck and middle it looks like.
RGR-550S

Maybe MaxOfMetal has seen one, he is probably your best bet for any info.

Thanks for showming me that, i had not seen it. Ill give MaxofMetal a pm

max3000

Reaction score
Oh man I'm so jealous!! I freakin' love RG550s and that blonde finish looks soooo good and the reverse headstock is just awesome!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
These are crazy rare, so great score!

These were only offered in Japan and I think one or two other countries at some point between 1992 and 1994. I've only ever seen them online and typically in Japan.

Unfortunately, Ibanez didn't really print very many home market catalogs until well after this guitar was discontinued. There is rumor that this model in particular was a spot model made for some of the closer Ibanez dealers in Japan.

As for the writing on the inside of the neck heel, it's very atypical to how it's usually done, which typically denotes it was a special production/demo instrument. Typically, it's stamped not written. The only other written stuff I've seen has been for proto and demo instruments, same goes for have the entire model name in these, opposed to a simple, stamped "RG5" that just about all other examples of RG5xx models of the time received. As for the stamps that are there, the "X" and "Y", those are usually quality approval stamps.

Latest posts