NGD: Red/Maple .strandberg* Boden OS7

• Thread starter asher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Are these not made by Washburn anymore? Been a little while since I've been looking into them, but I thought they were made by the Washburn USA shop?

I really want one of these. I am debating my main guitar purchase of the year and I'm really torn between one of these, a Jackson Misha Sig, or an EBMM JP15 (or maybe the Majesty Artisan if I happen to like it better in person, but I think I'm set on the JP15). Truly cannot decide.

The Boden OS 7 as shown in this thread is the Made in Korea version that gets shipped to the US for final QC by Ed Yoon in California. Not sure if OS stands for "overseas" perhaps, but that is my guess. The "Boden 7" model is still made by Washburn in Illinois, if you go to the Strandberg website it has a link under "Shop -> US Custom Shop" and that lists the models that Washburn will still build in the USA.

If you look on the back of the headstock the Washburn CS built guitars, they stamped "Made in the USA" with the serial number into the wood, whereas the Boden OS 7 has a printed logo and states it was built in Korea. Also that being said, unless it's a typo on the Strandberg site, the scales for the fan of the Washburn-build Boden 7 is 25-25.75" instead of 25.5-26.25 on the Boden OS 7 model so that is another way to differentiate the two.

Serial looks like this on my OS 7:

Strandberg_Boden_OS7_Red_Maple_4_zpsi26eiqww.jpg

Basically as of right now (again according to their site, you'd have to check with Ola for the "official word" of course) it looks like the breakdown is as follows:

Washburn USA Custom Shop Builds:

Boden 6
Boden 7
Boden 8
Boden CL7
Masvidalien
Varberg

WMI (Korean Factory building the OS models):

Boden OS 7 (currently)
Boden OS 6 (near future)
Boden OS 8 (near future?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Not usually a fan of headless, but damn. Love that finish and that fretboard.:agreed:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
The Japanese versions doesnt have anything on the back of the neck other than the serial number, btw.

Yep, that was the very first run... but they do say OS on the body, right? ;) All runs going forward will likely retain the serial number and writing as shown in my pic. :wavey:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
So, went to install the 57/66s last week, and some minor bad news:

Somehow, the washer on the g-string tuner has I think cracked, because it just spins in place when the tuner is twisted and does not actually increase tension on the string any more. :(

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Strange. That hardware is rock solid. Email someone (as I'm sure you probably already have) and I bet it will get taken care of.

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
Have you tried another tuning peg on that string, from the B string for example and see if it tunes? I'm not 100% sure how the tuning works but it seems like a broken thread if it just spins in place...

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
It's the fact that the washer has become detached - it shouldn't be spinning in place. It's not the knob or the threads.

They're sending a whole new assembly to me, as apparently they don't have a good solution yet if the washer detaches like that.

Aaron316

Reaction score

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Guitar is a beaut man! How are the new EMGs working out in it? Did you get the saddle issue fixed?

They're WAAAAAAAY better. Very clear, much more dynamic. Still quite a bit of thunk out of the bridge, but I can play quickly strummed bar chords on the neck clean now and it sounds nice!

They sent me a new saddle assembly, which I popped on. What happened is that the part of the washer we can see is actually the flared end of a cylindrical sleeve that slips over the part of the saddle that actually moves in and out to tune the string. There's a small hole in the bottom of the sleeve through which a very small screw protrudes from a channel in the bottom of the string piece, which keeps the pieces locked in place and allows the torque transfer. The sleeve had just split running through the hole, so it was rotating around the string piece instead of transferring torque.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
They're WAAAAAAAY better. Very clear, much more dynamic. Still quite a bit of thunk out of the bridge, but I can play quickly strummed bar chords on the neck clean now and it sounds nice!

They sent me a new saddle assembly, which I popped on. What happened is that the part of the washer we can see is actually the flared end of a cylindrical sleeve that slips over the part of the saddle that actually moves in and out to tune the string. There's a small hole in the bottom of the sleeve through which a very small screw protrudes from a channel in the bottom of the string piece, which keeps the pieces locked in place and allows the torque transfer. The sleeve had just split running through the hole, so it was rotating around the string piece instead of transferring torque.

Nice, good to hear it's fixed up and the 57/66 set is working out. They are pretty killer pickups. Sounded awesome in the Loomis I used to have.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score

Do the pole pieces of the 57/66-7s line up with the strings or are they slightly off because of the slant? Do you know if this makes a difference or not?

Latest posts