NGD: Send In The Replacements (EBMM 2: son of EBMM)

• Thread starter jephjacques
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Story time!

A while ago I got myself a really nice rosewood necked EBMM BFR 7-string. Lovely guitar, amazing sound, played like butter, etc etc. But I noticed that every time I played it for more than 5 minutes, I'd start breaking out in itchy rashes on various parts of my arms and face. Turns out I'm allergic to rosewood, to the point where playing an unfinished rosewood neck gives me a rash! Rather than have the neck finished and mess up the value of the guitar, I decided to exchange it for something with a painted neck:

Yep, it's a JP13. Now, before you ask- I've got multiple other instruments with RW fretboards that don't give me any issues. It was just the wood on that BFR, for whatever reason!

I was on the fence about the finish until I got mine- it's really gorgeous in person. I tried to get it in the photos but you really have to see it for yourself.

The main reason I went with a 13 and not an XI or 12 was that I wanted to try out the Illuminators. I've always found the Crunch Lab to be a little dark for my preferences, and the Illuminator bridge is noticeably brighter without being shrill. I really like it! Not sure I'll ever get any use out of the boost, but the push-push knobs are pretty nifty. The neck pickup sounds a little brighter and tighter than the Liquifire but it's not a huge difference IMO.

Fit and finish is your typical EBMM precision, although mine came out of the box with a noticeably crooked neck. A couple good yanks and a tightening of the neck bolts and everything was lined up properly again.

I love that they added access ports to the trem claw. No more unscrewing the back cover to make adjustments! Mine came in Drop A already though so B)

All in all I'm pleased with the guitar and happy to have a JP I can play without looking like I rolled in poison ivy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ChubbyEwok

Reaction score
Congrats dude, looks amazing! :) Sorry to hear about the whole rosewood thing. I never thought anybody could actually be allergic to it though, just seems kinda odd.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
You have to do something really dumb like I did (sand rosewood without protecting your skin and face) to have a reaction. But once you've had one you become more sensitive to it, which is why the neck on the other guitar made me break out.

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
But I noticed that every time I played it for more than 5 minutes, I'd start breaking out in itchy rashes on various parts of my arms and face. Turns out I'm allergic to rosewood, to the point where playing an unfinished rosewood neck gives me a rash!

That is really interesting, i have honestly never heard of that before! How are you with the fret board? Is that finished?

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with fretboards, almost all of my guitars have rosewood boards and they cause no problems. It might just have been that particular chunk of wood!

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with fretboards, almost all of my guitars have rosewood boards and they cause no problems. It might just have been that particular chunk of wood!

It could be that fret boards have a finish on them that act as a barrier? The unfinished rose wood neck may have have some natural oils present that set off the reaction.
(Sorry for geeking out but kind of thing combines two big parts of my life: science and guitar!)

Regardless happy NGD, cannot wait to join the Petrucci 7 club some day.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
I do wonder if they normally oil the fretboards and that's enough of a barrier. Seems possible!

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
You have way less physical contact with the fretboard wood compared to the neck wood. Most of the time you won't touch the fretboard at all.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
Allergic to rosewood? That is crazy! Im glad you were able to get a sweet axe from the trade! She looks pretty awesome! Oh and the Illiumies are way better that the CL.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
As said above, it is quite lame indeed that you have to deal with having reactions like that, but it looks like you wound up with one awesomely epic fiddle in the end! Happy NGD! :metal:

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The fretboard isn't finished. EBMM uses gunstock oil and wax on the back of the neck as they do with their maple necks. Have you played any other EBMMs without painted necks. Maybe you had a reaction to the oil or wax?

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I'm curious why you considered the XI and XII but not the X? I'm honestly curious so if your response is because you hate the X that is fine. You made a fine choice and got a fine guitar!:cool: Do you notice that the neck is painted while you are playing? I never have which is pretty impressive on EBMM's part. :yesway:

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Mainly because I wanted to try out the new pickups! I'm also not a huge fan of the X's cosmetics.

I notice that the neck is painted but it's more like "ahhh, feels like I'm playing glass" than "oh no there is PAINT on this guitar's NECK"

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Was wondering which guitar it was you mentioned on Twitter. Glad you got it resolved and HNGD!

Also, IAmNotAhab, I'm almost positive that fretboards (unless they're maple or some kind of open grain wood like oak) are not finished.

PBGas

Reaction score
A beauty! Congrats! EBMM 7s are fantastic! Would it have killed you to clean it up a bit before the pictures? Even silver won't hide the dust!

:lol: just kidding of course. Enjoy your beautiful guitar!

:hbang:

MJK28

Reaction score
What a perfect and beautiful solution to your ailment my friend! I have one and yes it is out of this world!

Congrats.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
What an unfortunate allergy, I own a couple of rosewood necked guitars and rosewood is fantastic to play on.

Oh well you still got a bitchin' geetar so all is well that ends well.