NGD! Skervesen Raptor FF7!

feilong29

Reaction score
What is so special about having fanned frets besides the fact that you have extra tension pn your lower strings?

The frets follow the natural motion of your arm/hand; it seems it isn't natural to go straight up and down the frets with your fingers. With fanned frets, you sorta 'pivot' with your elbow towards the higher frets and the 'fan' follows that trajectory I guess you can say!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
oh-snap-1322775931.jpg

Love the top on that axe, looks almost bleached. The individual bridge pieces really look amazing on it too.

jahosy

Reaction score
What a beaut! Was really contemplating a fanned fret for my skervesen 7 string built but thought it'll be too intimidating :(

Sounds like you adapted it really well! And again HNGD!

stratjacket

Lost in a loop
Reaction score
Wow, very cool indeed. Makes me look forward to my Raptor build that's coming. Congrats on an awesome guitar.

rifft

Reaction score
Thanks guys! The top is a tad more brown in reality and looks sick :D

Wow, very cool indeed. Makes me look forward to my Raptor build that's coming. Congrats on an awesome guitar.

Sweet! Make sure to post pics, you're going to love that guitar :hbang:

DarkNe0

Reaction score
Amazing guitar! One of the most beautiful guitars I've seen around here. HNGD!

Sorry for asking, but what's the price range of these customs? Thanks :lol:

Amanita

Reaction score
What is so special about having fanned frets besides the fact that you have extra tension pn your lower strings?
i'd like to elaborate a bit :)
multi-scale affects 2 aspects of an instrument.
first aspect is intonation. by intonation i mean inharmonicity of strings. a mathematically perfect string should have infinite length, infinite tension and 0 diameter. in practice putting thick strings on a standard scale instrument may lead to a situation where string is "out of tune" with itself. in extreme cases one can hear harmonics beating against fundamental when playing a single note on an open string. increasing instruments scale even by half an inch improves matters noticeably. it also means that tension is increased while string's diameter stays the same (which helps) or that a thinner string can be used for the same tension (which also helps).
longer strings also tends to produce more harmonic content which helps definition of low notes.
which leads us to downside of uniform increasing of scale. treble strings tend to sound brittle and piercing. also if tension is increased string's "bendability" is affected negatively.
so it makes sense to increase scale only on a bass side :)

the other aspect is ergonomics. frets fan can decrease wrist strain as frets angle follows the sweeping motion of arm.
also fret distances are smaller on the side of a fretboard where people play more widdly notes ;)

if anyone is inclined to delve deeper here's a good article about inharmonicity:
http://www.acoustics.hut.fi/~hjarvela/publications/icmc99.pdf

and here's a good read from the inventor of fanned frets himself:
Novax Guitars: Information: Technical Lecture

redstone

Reaction score
Yup, the history of mankind is full of surprises and mysteries :yesway:

tmfrank

Reaction score
Congrats man! I've been GAS'ing for a Skervesen forever, so this is only feeding those wants! HNGD!

Compton

Reaction score
So rad! I cannot wait for my Skervesen. I need to stop torturing myself with look at everyone elses.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Skervesen has been doing it right lately. Everything they put out is pure class.

Latest posts