NGD: SubZero Generation Pro FF7

• Thread starter Acaciastrain360
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acaciastrain360

Reaction score
Hey Guys, just a little NGD post....
Long story short, I’ve never owned a fan fret and I’ve always been interested in them, aesthetically and playability. So I’ve been looking around a lot, nearly dropped cash on a legator, but this SubZero just had better specs and was available in the UK and arrived the next day!
So yeah, it’s a SubZero fanned fret 7 in ocean burst, really cool burl finish, locking tuners, SS frets...
overall I actually really enjoy playing this, I’ve got it in drop F# and I’m loving playing along to my favourite tunes!
Only parted with £320 for it new, with extended 6 year warrantee.

the one niggle I do have is that it buzz’s when I play the low F# open.... I’m not too savvy with setting up guitars etc, so any help greatly appreciated!

if anyone’s in the market for an affordable fun guitar, give one a go! :)

E766A8FF-7328-4A42-A9FA-79B86E4E9DE1.jpeg E766A8FF-7328-4A42-A9FA-79B86E4E9DE1.jpeg
2208D127-71BE-4C15-AC09-E2043D512B2A.jpeg
A2815508-DE19-4D04-AC99-6A8A2D74A7ED.jpeg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lemur

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How do the stock pickups sound? I might go with a similar model once i can manage to get some cash. Also, is the fan easy to get used to for chords and slightly large stretches?

danbox

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wish there were more guitars that had this kind of reverse headstock on a multiscale. I got the Harley Benton R457 a bit ago, but if this had existed then I think I would go for it for the aesthetics + ss frets.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
the one niggle I do have is that it buzz’s when I play the low F# open.... I’m not too savvy with setting up guitars etc, so any help greatly appreciated!

Beautiful guitar and with SS frets! The top looks really nice as does the fade. Love the dark blank board and black hardware. Just a great looking axe from one end to the other. Congratulations!

Regarding the string buzz, I'd probably try to raise that saddle just a hair to see if that alleviates the issue. It could also be that particular nut slot is a little deep. Hard to know exactly what the issue is just looking at pics. You could also try a heavier gauge string but it needs to sit snug in the nut-slot. This is all assuming that there are no anomalies with any frets, neck relief, etc.

Acaciastrain360

Reaction score
How do the stock pickups sound? I might go with a similar model once i can manage to get some cash. Also, is the fan easy to get used to for chords and slightly large stretches?
Hey man, to be fair I only play it through an OLD ass combo at home with a fret wrap, no sound gate or pedals... and personally I feel it’s more responsive and clearer that my past 707/808’s and blackouts.... maybe I just prefer a passive sound? But my ibby 6 string has an 81 in the bridge and it sounds awesome.
So basically the smalls of it are.... they sound good! :)

Acaciastrain360

Reaction score
I wish there were more guitars that had this kind of reverse headstock on a multiscale. I got the Harley Benton R457 a bit ago, but if this had existed then I think I would go for it for the aesthetics + ss frets.
For sure man, I nearly bought the Harley Benton single cut fan fret they did.... but since seeing LOATHE use a subzero, I just checked the brand out and they have some pretty cool guitars... the 8 string equivalent looks really rad too by the way :)

Acaciastrain360

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar and with SS frets! The top looks really nice as does the fade. Love the dark blank board and black hardware. Just a great looking axe from one end to the other. Congratulations!

Regarding the string buzz, I'd probably try to raise that saddle just a hair to see if that alleviates the issue. It could also be that particular nut slot is a little deep. Hard to know exactly what the issue is just looking at pics. You could also try a heavier gauge string but it needs to sit snug in the nut-slot. This is all assuming that there are no anomalies with any frets, neck relief, etc.
Thanks man! It is really good value :)

okay I really appreciate the help, I’ll start by raising the saddle a little and see how it goes, the fret seems nicely placed in, not lifting on the end or anything... and i may also buy a heavier gauge in the future anyway because I like heavier strings anyways :)

thanks again my dude

Lemur

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey man, to be fair I only play it through an OLD ass combo at home with a fret wrap, no sound gate or pedals... and personally I feel it’s more responsive and clearer that my past 707/808’s and blackouts.... maybe I just prefer a passive sound? But my ibby 6 string has an 81 in the bridge and it sounds awesome.
So basically the smalls of it are.... they sound good! :)
Think im gonna drop some money on an 8 soon. I really dig the models SubZero has, and if i dont like the pickups I´ll just swap em out. Rad guitar man!

Acaciastrain360

Reaction score
How do you feel about the toggle switch way down there? Nice NGD! As for the buzz like others have said, try raising the saddle a bit.
Hey man, the toggle is t much of an issue, I very rarely use it in my playing... maybe from a regular togglers point of view it may be a bit of a distance to reach to!

As for the string buzz... I have raised the saddle and it doesn’t seem to have done much :(
The string looks as though it’s sat in the nut okay... and the neck has a slight curve inwards

Acaciastrain360

Reaction score
String buzz now corrected and saddles dropped back down now... a fatter string was in order :) sounds really good now with a bit of the brightness removed! Loving jamming this thing, thanks for the advice dudes

Status
Not open for further replies.