NGD: Suhr Modern 7

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Picked this up last night after work down at Matt's Music, and ended up staying up into the wee hours of the morning playing the thing. Not only is this guitar gorgeous, it sounds and plays absolutely mind-bendingly good/well.

EDIT - now with video:

Suhr%20Modern%207021.JPG

Suhr%20Modern%207022.JPG

Suhr%20Modern%207025.JPG

Suhr%20Modern%207028.JPG

Suhr%20Modern%207031.JPG

Suhr%20Modern%207039.JPG

Suhr%20Modern%207040.JPG

Suhr%20Modern%207045.JPG

Suhr%20Modern%207057.JPG

Suhr%20Modern%207061.JPG

Swamp ash body, flamed maple top, Bengal Burst with a natural back, 4A birdseye roasted maple neck, OFR (hardware will eventually be chrome - I went black with the intent of swapping the black for the chrome on Chris's mahogany Modern 7), 3-way with a coil tap on the blade, 7 Vintage neck pickup and 7 Plus bridge. I'm absolutely in love with this thing.

Expect a video in a couple days. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks guys! And if anything it sounds better than it looks. I can't put her down!

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
I see this as "if you have an Ibanez 7-string and want to upgrade it times 10 000, get a Suhr" :lol:

this thing looks crazy, HNGD !

Minoin

Scientist
Reaction score
Ahh man, you just hit jackpot on EVERY part of that instrument! That's one perfect combination of specs...
Treat her well man, that's one insanely piece of art!
HNGD of course!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, I really did. :lol: And honestly, I'm more impressed by how it sounds than how it looks - I'll be getting a video up in the next couple days (I'm moving a little slowly at the moment, partial/full ACL tear from learning the hard way I'm a shitty mogul skier), but for now let's just say that this is just an amazing sounding guitar - it's swamp ash with a maple top, so I was expecting something pretty bright (and my Warmoth has the same combination and is definitely a bright guitar), but I guess so much of it comes down to the individual pieces of wood. It's got the thickness of a Les Paul, but with more of a Strat-y low end and a much stronger attack. It sounds glorious.

Funny thing about the back on this - I actually didn't order it with a natural back. I'd tried to get it with a burst to match the back, and Matt called it in to see if they'd do it (and warned me John Suhr is a bit particular about what he will and won't do, and if he doesn't think it'll look good he won't do it)O, and they said they wouldn't. Suhr suggested either black or a natural clear, and I countered by asking if they'd do a trans stain matching the edge of the burst, which they agreed to. But then when we pulled it out of the case down at Matt's the other night, the back was natural. Matt and I kind of looked at each other and he said, "You know, I have to say I think it looks better this way - look at how the ash goes with the birdseye," and I laughed and said I had to swallow my pride a bit here, but I agreed. I don't know if it was a communication breakdown somewhere or John Suhr just has excellent taste and balls of steel, but I think I got lucky here. :)

I have to take some natural light pictures - the top looks a little less yellow in person. I also still have to swap out the hardware for chrome and then set it up. :yesway:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
IMO this guitar could not look any better! It's the most beautiful Suhr I think I have ever seen!:yesway:

You're not the first person to tell me that, and I think I agree. :lol:

I actually have to hand it to my ex-girlfriend on this one; right before I put the order in I was going back and forth between a handful of blue bursts and a handful of reddish bursts, so I sent her a link to the color chart and told her which ones I was thinking about. She was my ex at the time, but we're still good friends and she has excellent taste so I figured it was safe. :lol: She wrote back something along the lines of "of the ones you're looking at this, but I REALLY like the Bengal Burst." I did the same drill with my dad, including Bengal Burst in the list, and that was his favorite too, so I figured I have a lot of trust in and respect for both of them, and they can't BOTH be wrong. And they weren't. :D