NGD - Time for some EXPLOR'ing

• Thread starter LCW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ErockRPh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
An Explorer-shape has been at the top of my "want" list for many, many years. If I ever splurge for another custom guitar, or if I go for a full-on Warmoth build, then it will definitely be an Explorer style. I came very close the last time I was at the Gibson Garage to getting an Epi Extura Prophecy, but they had just switched from EMG's to Fishmans and I just can't get into the Fluence. Right now my budget is Harley Benton + eventual pickup upgrade. In the meantime, I'll just dream about this for when I have the budget for another nice guitar.

My-Balaguer-Custom-Guitar (1).jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fox Dieane

Fart Huffer
Reaction score
It could be bad technique on my part as far as comfort goes. Especially when sitting, and less so when standing which I've been doing more of lately. When I sit with it, my elbow rests along the bottom "swoop/fin" or whatever you want to call it. I have some that balance well, and one (my favorite just because it's 7 string) that really doesn't like to.

Still, they're my favorite guitars. They're what got me into playing guitar in the first place. My first introduction to them was Guitar Hero 2, and then in retrospect seeing all of the artists I really liked using them in the past. I'm in the same boat as far as buget goes, so my most recent guitar purchase having recovered financially from buying a home, is a cheap Westcreek purple-quilted veneer ex shape. For the price paid, it's a shockingly good guitar, though ymmv what with how cheap guitars and QC goes. I did once own a really nice Gibson some years back, but life deemed other things being more important financially than a beautiful hunk of wood so I regrettably had to sell it. Unfortunately I don't see myself ever being able to justify another big guitar purchase, so I'll just have to live vicariously through you wonderful folks.

neurosis

Reaction score
It's not super light like an SG, but at 8.4 lbs, it's quite reasonable for how large it is.
I think the Explorer has a nice weight distribution to it so even the heavy ones are comfortable to play standing but I don not. like how they feel sitting down. In that regard I prefer V's although they can feel awkward at first depending on your posture.