NGD Used JP70

• Thread starter DragonGuitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
So I got my first seven string a couple days ago! A used Sterling by Music Man JP70 John Petrucci signature! (Long post below)

The guitar is in excellent condition, almost mint, but the strap buttons were swapped out by the previous owner. Not a big fan of the strap buttons that are in it right now (seem flimsy) so I will swap them out, but otherwise it is all stock! Scored it through guitar center for $350.

Specs (for those who don't know):
7 strings (Ernie Ball Regular Slinky)
24 fret 16" radius rosewood fretboard, JP shield inlays
Maple bolt-on neck, 25.5 scale
Basswood body, JP contour, Stealth Black
Sterling Passive Humbucking Pickups
Modern Recessed Tremolo
Locking tuners

Initial impressions:
So far I am very happy with this guitar! The neck plays great, IMO perfect shape. It has not been as hard for me to adjust to a seven string as I anticipated, I can already play a few DT riffs! It also has really great upper fret access.

I was originally trying to stay away from a trem when deciding on my purchase, but this one doesn't seem too bad (just tested it a bit). Right now I just took the arm off it and I'm playing the guitar as if its a fixed bridge.

Stock p'ups are decent, output seems a little low on the bridge compared to neck, but otherwise not bad. I plan to swap in a crunch lab/liquifire once I have more cash.

I was also pleased with the tuners, and the overall playability and feel of this guitar- definitely a steal for $350!! And it looks cool, too. I like it more every time I pick it up.

I might put in a new nut, maybe an earvana compensating nut or a graphtech? There really isn't anything outstanding about the stock nut, average for cheap.

When I was at the store trying out a few different 7's, it was the crispness/note definition, along with the playability of this guitar, that made me pick it over more expensive 7's such as the Schecter Damien Platinum and the ESP LTD MH-417. Maybe its the pups, or the construction? The other 7's were mainly active pick ups with set neck construction, this is passive with bolt on. But in the end, John Petrucci is the main reason I wanted to get a 7 string, and I want to sort of emulate his tone, so it was kind of a no brainer to get a petrucci sig guitar haha.

I will post a "real" review in a few months once I have really gotten used to this guitar, but right now I would give it probably 9/10 (considering the price point).

Rock on! :shred:

PICS TO COME!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Nicely done sir!

That's about the perfect price for them, IMO. I think they sell way too high new.

ry4n

Reaction score
My buddy has one of these and it slays. Sounds like you got it for a steal, congrats on your NGD.