[NGD} What hanger or stand for your 8 string?

• Thread starter kkuehl
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kkuehl

Reaction score
NGD for me (RG852).
Guitar won't fit in my Hercules wall hangers or on either of my floor stands.
My ESP BS-7 fits fine.
I have a dedicated studio and I don't like to keep a guitar that is in use in its case.

Here is a quick pic. Thanks in advance!

cOk0hVD.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lookup the cheapest wall hangers on Amazon, it's an 8 pack for like $20. Get those. They work great and fit, securely, everything from a banjo to an 8-string.

Edit: Guitar pictured has a ~60mm nut, so a bit wider than your RG. Also, excuse the wacky 8th string, was changing the strings on a couple basses and wanted to mess around. :lol:

Attachments

• 1433453614323420993223.jpg
    1433453614323420993223.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 107

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Clean Ibby. I have the same problem with wall hangers. Props to max fir the advice and the lulz. tapered string?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Clean Ibby. I have the same problem with wall hangers. Props to max fir the advice and the lulz. tapered string?

Nah, just a 90 bass string I slapped on after not bothering to trim it. Was messing around in E.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Hey max, there's two that look almost identical.

Top Stage and Griffin

kkuehl

Reaction score
And now for my impressions after jamming on the RG852 for a few hours.

1. For a 27" scale length, it feels easier to play than my BS-7 that has a 25.5" scale length.
2. Tuned to Low EBEADGBE, strings are definitely too flabby (still stock strings).
This was up a full step from the tuning it was shipped with. Also maybe needs intonating, one finger barre chords definitely sound muddy across low E/B.
Once I decide on a string gauge that I like, I will get it set up.
I'll take any string recommendations for someone who also is going to play lead, so I don't want a super heavy gauge,.
3. Bridge is comfortable, and the neck is feels really nice, I haven't owned an Ibanez since my 450S in the mid 90s.

Hopefully the muddiness on the low strings isn't the EMGs. Since the guitar is new, if that is the problem I'll probably return it and get something with passives rather than immediately swap out the active electronics for passives.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
If they're 808s, which they probably are, then yeah, it's the EMGs - even with good strings, my Iron Label was muddy and woofy in the low end until I threw the 57-8 in there.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
String it up properly, as the stock strings aren't ideal, especially for further down tuning. Also, the super cheap 18v mod really helps too.

kkuehl

Reaction score
Week 1 update.
I found a floor stand that fits.
I followed some advice from a friend about adding compression and rolling off the EQ around 200hz. For grins, I googled and it pointed my back to an SS post on tone tips which also suggested boosting 1.4khz and together, those changes cleared the mud I was experiencing with the EMG 808s right up.

I am really happy with the look, quality and feel of the RG852, but was considering swapping out the EMGs for some SD Nazgul/Sentients.

With the compression/EQing, I now don't feel that is necessary.

:metal:

Updated family photo:
xStcLI6.jpg