(NGD) What's better than a Used Prestige™?

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Of course, it's two Used Ibanez Prestiges™

So, the RGA321 is the guitar I've owned for the most part of my guitar playing life. Had one between 2012 and 2017 that was incredible, and to this day is the benchmark for every other guitar I had bought. Every time I try something new my mind goes like "feels heavier than the RGA, it's less resontant than the RGA, neck seems chunkier than the old RGA" etc. etc. Had a second stint with one around 2018 but the top on that one was non-existant, so me and my friends joked around about it being a refinished 121 and sold it a few months later.

After 6 years with not a single 321 or 121 on the market here in Chile (and ridiculous prices in the US market) this 321 appeared for a reasonable (for 2024) price I just said to myself "why not? I still miss the first one" and ended up grabbing it. The 121 appeared shortly after and thought it could be a nice alternative to play around in other tunings while retaining the same feel.

the 321 was in very good shape minus a small ding in the top, aside from that, I had a CL/LF set lying around for the ultimate 2011 dj0nt experience.
the 121 was a bit more beaten up but still plays incredibly well

now to pics.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarthV

Reaction score
Nice scores! Both look like they are well played, would rather the wear & tear on the NTF than the 321!

Been playing my RGA121CDO more and more, just so comfortable.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I love my RGA321F. Like you've experienced, I find it to be very resonant and comfortable to play. A real workhorse...but a pretty workhorse.

I slightly prefer the neck carve to both of my RG2550Zs, despite them being from the same era and theoretically having the same "Wizard Prestige" neck profile (I do prefer the "Super Wizard" necks on some of my other guitars though).

Mine was very much a spontaneous purchase, after I'd forgotten to turn off Reverb search alerts for "Ibanez Prestige". It was available for a price that I couldn't refuse, with the only notable wear being the cosmo finish on the bridge (like with yours) and a small surface mark on the edge of the body. It has very similar figuring to yours, but the finish doesn't really allow it to pop, so I'd need to get just the right lighting and angle for a decent photo.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Nice scores! Both look like they are well played, would rather the wear & tear on the NTF than the 321!

man the CDO is my favorite of the sparkle versions, enjoy it!

I love my RGA321F. Like you've experienced, I find it to be very resonant and comfortable to play. A real workhorse...but a pretty workhorse.

I slightly prefer the neck carve to both of my RG2550Zs, despite them being from the same era and theoretically having the same "Wizard Prestige" neck profile (I do prefer the "Super Wizard" necks on some of my other guitars though).

Mine was very much a spontaneous purchase, after I'd forgotten to turn off Reverb search alerts for "Ibanez Prestige". It was available for a price that I couldn't refuse, with the only notable wear being the cosmo finish on the bridge (like with yours) and a small surface mark on the edge of the body. It has very similar figuring to yours, but the finish doesn't really allow it to pop, so I'd need to get just the right lighting and angle for a decent photo.

regarding neck carve; the 321 is my second favorite from Ibanez (first place goes to the 652's, that thing is just incredible) Also noticed that even if the necks are the "same" from model to model, the feel still can change drastically. an SV5470 supposedly had the same neck of the RGA 321 and it was incredibly different

regarding the finish; sadly agree. the finish process of most Ibanez from this era was -IMO- pretty poor, specially their reds and blues as they cover all the wood grain. Their "vintage-y" looking finishes (those yellow/orange bursts) and their greens looked pretty Good for some reason though, so it's definitely something with the referred tints in particular.

This one still has a visible grain under "normal" light, but I can definitely see how it could pop up a ton more with a better finish work

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score

I have the same guitar and finish. So glad I picked it up many years ago when I saw one at a local L&M used.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
regarding neck carve; the 321 is my second favorite from Ibanez (first place goes to the 652's, that thing is just incredible) Also noticed that even if the necks are the "same" from model to model, the feel still can change drastically. an SV5470 supposedly had the same neck of the RGA 321 and it was incredibly different
RG652s have the thinner Super Wizard necks, which are my favourite profile.
I have various Ibbys with Super Wizard necks, including an RG652FX. Definitely my favourite profile, but my RGA is a close second, so it seems we have the same taste. Obviously there's some variation between those too.

How was the SV different? I'm going to guess it's more c-shaped, due to the more vintage vibe that series has going on.

regarding the finish; sadly agree. the finish process of most Ibanez from this era was -IMO- pretty poor, specially their reds and blues as they cover all the wood grain. Their "vintage-y" looking finishes (those yellow/orange bursts) and their greens looked pretty Good for some reason though, so it's definitely something with the referred tints in particular.

This one still has a visible grain under "normal" light, but I can definitely see how it could pop up a ton more with a better finish work
I've noticed that the lighter finishes work better with flamed maple. A lot of the most attractive flamed maple Ibanez tops are "Vintage Violin" imo.
For darker finishes (like the "Sapphire" RGAs), I think there's significant benefit to staining the top black (or a very dark shade of the desired first ISH colour) first, sanding it back such that the flames have greater contrast, and then staining it the desired colour. It gives quite a different result though - less subtle. I presume this is what Ibanez do for their Sodalite and Black Rutile finishes, where the figuring really pops despite the dark finishes.

Wildebeest

Reaction score
Awesome. I had a 321 for a few years, but I traded it. I don't regret the trade, but I'd love to own another 321 some day. They are one of the best guitars Ibanez has produced IMO.

DarthV

Reaction score

I'd trade for the 321. Mine's loaded with the cl/lf pickups too lol

I have the same guitar and finish. So glad I picked it up many years ago when I saw one at a local L&M used.

Bought mine used from L&M as well! Back when you could get them for like $650CAD!

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Best sixers that company ever made, along with the 88-92 square heel RGs.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
RG652s have the thinner Super Wizard necks, which are my favourite profile.
I have various Ibbys with Super Wizard necks, including an RG652FX. Definitely my favourite profile, but my RGA is a close second, so it seems we have the same taste. Obviously there's some variation between those too.

How was the SV different? I'm going to guess it's more c-shaped, due to the more vintage vibe that series has going on.

I've noticed that the lighter finishes work better with flamed maple. A lot of the most attractive flamed maple Ibanez tops are "Vintage Violin" imo.
For darker finishes (like the "Sapphire" RGAs), I think there's significant benefit to staining the top black (or a very dark shade of the desired first ISH colour) first, sanding it back such that the flames have greater contrast, and then staining it the desired colour. It gives quite a different result though - less subtle. I presume this is what Ibanez do for their Sodalite and Black Rutile finishes, where the figuring really pops despite the dark finishes.
oh man now I'm missing a 652FX with black covered BKP's I had that looked sleek af. Regarding the SV; spot on, it was slightly thicker and rounder, the "most different" Ibanez I've ever had without counting stuff like SZ's, Talmans and the like. Precisely because of that, I loved it.

Regarding the finish; that's definitely it, a friend did that process on a red 3120 I had and the thing went from "meh" to J-Custom level regarding the top.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
oh man now I'm missing a 652FX with black covered BKP's I had that looked sleek af.
Mine is Galaxy Black, not Weathered Black. I quite like it with uncovered black pickups.
I think black covers on my Invisible Shadow RGD2127Z would look great, but the cavities are pretty snug even for uncovered pickups.

Regarding the SV; spot on, it was slightly thicker and rounder, the "most different" Ibanez I've ever had without counting stuff like SZ's, Talmans and the like. Precisely because of that, I loved it.
Not for me then, but that also applies to other SV specs compared to S / RG / RGA.

Regarding the finish; that's definitely it, a friend did that process on a red 3120 I had and the thing went from "meh" to J-Custom level regarding the top.
My Sodalite RG8520 has really prominent tiger stripes. It was lovely at first sight. 🐯

gclef

Reaction score

Ibanez finishes are different than you would expect.

A normal stain/clear makes things pop
The stain is thin, which makes it more transparent. The thicker clear urethane amplifies that.

Ibanez doesn't do that.

They tint the clear and spray it. If you chip of the paint (easy) on a trans finish, you see clear unstained wood. That's the proof.

Essentially, the richer the color, the more opaque it becomes. This is why the darker colors hide the grain.

My '99 rg520qs in trans black (really brown) appears a brown guitar until the light hits the quilted sapele top, or the striped mahogany back.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Ibanez finishes are different than you would expect.

A normal stain/clear makes things pop
The stain is thin, which makes it more transparent. The thicker clear urethane amplifies that.

Ibanez doesn't do that.

They tint the clear and spray it. If you chip of the paint (easy) on a trans finish, you see clear unstained wood. That's the proof.

Essentially, the richer the color, the more opaque it becomes. This is why the darker colors hide the grain.

My '99 rg520qs in trans black (really brown) appears a brown guitar until the light hits the quilted sapele top, or the striped mahogany back.
Is this Ibanez approach to finishing a cost-saving measure? (I can't see why else they'd do it).

It can't be what Ibanez does on all finishes for figured tops, as some really do pop (e.g. plenty of J. Customs with flamed maple tops).

Latest posts