NGD x2 Ibanez S540LTD.

• Thread starter Dumple Stilzkin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarthV

Reaction score
Didn't the 24 frets Sabers begun only by 2010? or was it earlier?

Nevertheless, the problem you describe should be solved with a fret leveling... right?

2008. I have one of the rare viking red burled walnut tops. No difference between vibrato or bendng up, sustain above 14th fret or so is very short. Nothing is fretting out. Rich @ ibanezrules even commented on it on jemsite back then. WIth enough gain, it's not a huge issue but it can be frustrating. Specially since the BW finish is stunning on mine!

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Nice! I've got a jewel blue myself.

Kinda weird that dark asiatic blue is much lighter than jewel blue. I'll tell you what though, my jewel blue s540ltd is not as dark or as purple-y as that one.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
@vilk Dude I had to check a few resources to make sure they didn't make a purple model (they did but its purple neon and it certainly isn't that). I wish it was more on the blue side, but oh well. It's going to get refinished in desert sun yellow anyhow.
The hardware is pretty much unsalvageable in the Asiatic blue, and with that big scratch on the front-- I am contemplating having it also refinished, in purple neon. If I can find anyone that can actually match the Ibanez color 100%.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Nice scores!

S540 are consistently my favorite guitars. Every example I play is just rock solid, plays great, and is acoustically resonant as hell! My current one used to be a Jewel Blue until I took the finish off.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Nice scores!

S540 are consistently my favorite guitars. Every example I play is just rock solid, plays great, and is acoustically resonant as hell! My current one used to be a Jewel Blue until I took the finish off.
Yeah, I have noticed all three of mine are pretty loud and resonant. Any pictures of yours?

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Yeah, I have noticed all three of mine are pretty loud and resonant. Any pictures of yours?

Sure thing, I just didnt want to derail your thread.

Here it is next to my friends S1220 (also loud as a mofo)
20230422_150436.jpg

And the family photo for fun. Unfortunately, these are the only two decent photos I have :lol:
20230905_125016.jpg

My other friend also has a 1994 S540 (also loud af) with the trans green/gold hardware, as well as my dad having a 540 (also loud af) in that sort of purple chameleon color. I've basically converted everyone I know :lol:

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Sure thing, I just didnt want to derail your thread.

Here it is next to my friends S1220 (also loud as a mofo)
View attachment 130048

And the family photo for fun. Unfortunately, these are the only two decent photos I have :lol:
View attachment 130049

My other friend also has a 1994 S540 (also loud af) with the trans green/gold hardware, as well as my dad having a 540 (also loud af) in that sort of purple chameleon color. I've basically converted everyone I know :lol:
Nice collection. An S in Purple neon! So jealous, those are so hard to find. I want to buy one but can’t find them anywhere.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
If youd believe it, he actually wanted to refinish it :lol: its in typical Ibanez crappy finish shape, but still passable for sure.

ian540s

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Didn't the 24 frets Sabers begun only by 2010? or was it earlier?

Nevertheless, the problem you describe should be solved with a fret leveling... right?
I've always wanted a 24 fret S, I never actually think about 24 or 22 fret necks then I realized like 3 songs I'm trying to learn have 24 fret notes.
The dead notes above the 12th fret on the 24 fret neck should be fixable, it's just guitar and it's a mechanical issue, not magic. Either frets are off or neck is twisted/not set right.

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
That first pick, the blue one, that is every S540 I have ever seen (5 or 6). All beat to sh*t. No wonder a good one sell in France for like 600€ minimum.

matt_boogie76

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice pair of guitars there!

That S540LTD DAB is an awesome guitar. I had the same as my first proper guitar and i loved it (and still do). Just wish i never had to sell it.

I changed my pickups from the standard Ibanez to a pair of EMG 85’s and an SA in it. Through my Mesa Mkiv RevB and a tatty 1960b it sounded brutal for my black metal band 🤘🏻

mpexus

Reaction score
The S series should have stayed 22 frets.
Totally Agree. That's why I have 3 S540's
Also have the Indo S320 (22Frets) and the S420 (24 frets) and I pretty much prefer the feel of the S320. Just need to find time to shave their necks to be more in line with the Wizard and the chunkier Wizard2

24 frets on the S it's like having 24 frets on a Stratocater, just doesn't feel the same.