NGD: Yamaha CV820WB Wes Borland Signature Model

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Here is something truly special that you may not ever see again: an extremely rare, cream-colored Yamaha CV820WB Wes Borland signature model that has been personally autographed by the legendary Limp Bizkit guitarist.

IMG-E8941.jpg

Let's dive straight into the specs.

Specs:
• Body shape: Wes Borland designed “Takumi-Kezuri” carved body
• Body wood: alder
• Top wood: maple
• Body finish: gloss
• Scale length: 628mm (25.5”)
• Neck construction: bolt-on
• Neck wood: 3-piece maple neck
• Neck finish: gloss
• Fretboard wood: rosewood
• Fretboard radius: 350mm (13.75”)
• Fret number: 24
• Fretwire: jumbo
• Pickups: Yamaha Artist Services Hollywood (YASH) Custom33 humbuckers (neck & bridge)
• Controls: 3-way toggle pickup selector, volume knob, and tone knob
• Bridge: Yamaha Finger Clamp Quick-Change Tremolo System
• Tuners: Yamaha sealed tuners

Borland was intensely involved in every aspect of the design process for what was (at the time) his dream signature model guitar — from its conception to its completion. The unique, offset body shape designed by Borland with assistance from the Yamaha Hollywood shop incorporates Yamaha’s “Takumi-Kezuri” construction, in which the back, the sides, and the center block of the body are all carved out of one, single piece of alder wood.

IMG-E8943.jpg

IMG-E8946.jpg

IMG-E8948.jpg

“Takumi-Kezuri” literally translates into English as “skillful carving” or “masterful carving”. This labor-intensive method of careful construction was meant to become Yamaha’s future step forward in semi-hollow construction since Yamaha has always excelled in creating absolutely incredible, semi-hollow bodied instruments. However, this contribution by Yamaha to the guitar design industry never seemed to have made it further than the CV820WB model.

IMG-E8960.jpg

The guitar is fully bound with cream-colored binding around the entire body, the F-holes in the top, the rosewood fretboard, and the headstock, all contributing to a clean, sharp, polished aesthetic that is complemented by a matching, cream-colored, pearloid symbol designed by Borland and inlaid into the headstock. (What is the inlay? Hell if I know!)

IMG-E8957.jpg

IMG-E8954.jpg

IMG-E8953.jpg

IMG-E8955.jpg

The cream finish color is so rare that many folks (even experts in the gear biz) whom I’ve shown photos of this guitar to didn’t know that the CV820WB model was offered in this color. Even an astounding number of players who have interacted with me and told me that a CV820WB is one of their "bucket list" guitars (or "white whale" guitars, or "holy grail" guitars) don't seem to know that there was a run of the model made in this cream finish color. The black finish color is far more ubiquitous and far more commonly seen online.

From what little information I can gather, apparently the cream-colored CV820WB guitars were made in a tiny, singular run by Yamaha. I'm unsure of the exact number of units; but I've been told numbers as low as 10. (I need to contact someone at Yamaha to see if the company can confirm the number of units produced.)

IMG-E8971.jpg

IMG-E8970.jpg

IMG-E8968.jpg

IMG-E8969.jpg

The Custom33 humbuckers created by the Yamaha Hollywood shop are a split-field design akin to the popular “Wide Range” humbuckers but slimmed down into a traditional, passive humbucker sized housing. The pickups have a moderately contemporary voicing and contribute to the guitar having a big, clear, powerful sound by perfectly accentuating the open, airy tonal traits that you’d expect to be inherent of a semi-hollow guitar without being murky or muddy or dark in any way.

IMG-E8951.jpg

Yamaha’s proprietary Finger Clamp tremolo system allows quick string changes by stabilizing the bridge so that the tension from the springs doesn’t pull the tremolo back into the route/cavity while the strings are removed. Each of the six saddles has a small locking lever that you simply flip up in order to remove a string and then flip back down to lock/clamp the string into place in its saddle. Again, this helps keep the process of changing strings super speedy and efficient when combined with the Finger Clamp system's distinctive locking nut. Tuning and re-tuning are absolutely no issue; and even adjusting intonation is a breeze on the Finger Clamp tremolo.

IMG-E8980.jpg

Lastly, as a cherry on top, the control cavity plate bares Borland’s own personal autograph. A piece of laminate film has been gently placed over the autograph to preserve it.

IMG-E8961.jpg

IMG-E8972.jpg

IMG-E8964.jpg

IMG-E8973.jpg

"Keep rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin'..."

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Holy shit! I'm not super knowledgeable on these but also did know white ones were available. What a score!

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Always loved this guitar and definitely inspired the 7 string i'm building at the moment!

Yamaha used to have players from:
Limp Bizkit
Orgy
Kings X
Queens of the Stone Age
Megadeth
Ministry
etc

on their player list, it's a shame they stopped with metal.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Always loved this guitar and definitely inspired the 7 string i'm building at the moment!

Yamaha used to have players from:
Limp Bizkit
Orgy
Kings X
Queens of the Stone Age
Megadeth
Ministry
etc

on their player list, it's a shame they stopped with metal.
Oh, believe me, as sort of collector of certain vintage Yamaha rarities, I know just how much of a top brand Yamaha was back in the 80s and 90s for the fusion scene (mainly in Japan, but also with guys like Allan Holdsworth) and then how much of a top brand they were back in the 90s to early 2000s with the mainstream rock and metal bands.

It would definitely be cool if Yamaha once again became a brand that players saw spotlighted in the metal music scene. But that probably won't happen. For whatever reason, Yamaha nowadays has become stagnant, boring, and is barely focusing any effort into musical instrument innovation anymore. All that Yamaha does is buy up other brands to expand such as Line 6, Ampeg, and the recent Cordoba and Guild acquisitions. But overall, Yamaha nowadays just can't hold a candle to what the company once was.

This guitar and Yamaha's sigs for Troy Van Leeuwen,Ty Tabor, Amir Derakh/Ryan Shuck are so unique & I love how they took the time to produce guitars that were highly individual instead of just taking an existing model and slapping a fancy paintjob/inlay on it.
Agreed. Yamaha's designs back then were highly individual and unique.

While I'm at it here, people nowadays seem to overlook the fact that Yamaha paved the way with so many forward-thinking and oftentimes experimental designs in both guitar construction and guitar hardware that inspired later construction methods and later hardware on more modern instruments.

Some examples would be:
• the Finger Clamp tremolo and locking nut
• the original RM-Pro tremolo (which had features that laid the groundwork for the Ibanez ZR and ZR2 trems)
• the RM-Pro II tremolo (with its refined locking clamps for the ball-ends of strings)
• the “Takumi-Kezuri” carved construction method
• the neck-thru heel on the uppermost-tier SG models (like the SG-3000)
• the unique neck construction of the Frank Gambale signature Yamaha models
• incorporating the Fretwave system on the Frank Gambale signature Yamaha models
• partially scalloping frets 20 through 24 on some RGX models
• the longer 26.25" scale length of the RGX TTD6 (Ty Tabor Drop 6) model
• the little cut-out "alcoves" in the bodies of some of the RGX models that protected the recessed output jacks
• the proprietary "Spinex" alloy utilized in the "Spinex" pickups for some of the SG models
• the headless hardware on Yamaha's headless basses of the 1980s (the MBX, BX-1, and BX-5)
• the Yamaha BB-5000 being the first mass-produced 5-string bass on the market

There definitely are more things (designs, assets, etc.) that I could list as examples here, but they just are escaping my mind right now as I type this response.

Point in hand is that Yamaha has a history chocked full of multiple decades of innovation in the guitar industry.

Last edited:

Estilo

Reaction score
That's a really neat innovation. These don't get enough love, I remember many years ago a friend custom ordered from a local luthier using this template in 7 string form. Can't get that bridge and nut system though.

Amer Alameddine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wes Borland is one my favorite guitar players, he knows how to write catchy heavy riffs and clean guitar parts equally well. This must be a lot of fun to play, congrats on the new guitar!

CutBilly

Reaction score
Damn man, that’s an awesome guitar right there! I always wanted one but figured they’d be too hard to find in good shape so I bought the Ben Weinman ESP and had it refretted with stainless steel frets…..best guitar I’ve played to date but I’d bet that guitar is just like butter 🧈

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Wes was always cooler than the band he was in.
Agreed.

He figured out the game pretty quickly. You have the radio-friendly, mainstream band (or as he refers to Limp Bizkit: "a dumb rock band") as your main gig for income so that you can have the means and resources to pursue projects that you're more creatively passionate about on the side (and for Wes that would be Black Light Burns, Big Dumb Face, Eat the Day, The Damning Well, etc.)

He also understands that live performance relies on other factors such as the visual experience and not solely just the aural experience. Kind of explains why Borland is such a big name in Japan. He essentially is doing an American version of visual kei whenever he performs with Limp Bizkit. He definitely gets bonus cool points in my book for doing that.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another reason I'm a Wes fan, he says shit like this:

“People say, ‘You went back to Limp Bizkit because your other band failed.’ No, those things are not true. I went back to Limp Bizkit because it felt like I couldn’t get it out of my blood. I basically had Limp Bizkit AIDS and was infected. No matter what I did, that was me.”

What a goddamn legend lmao

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
That is such a nice guitar. I really enjoyed that write up too!
I love the carving on the top, and how it almost looks to sink below the level of the binding before climbing back up again.

Upgrayedd

Reaction score
Awesome find, congrats! Thank you for the thorough details and pics, thats a beautiful instrument. Enjoy!