NGM - An Epic Journey to PRSi Island (56k plays an SE before Riffer sets it up)

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
So this is a long time in coming. The reason these guitars are lumped together is because as soon as I got the first one, before I could even take pictures I was planning on how to acquire number 2.

Basically the story starts out years ago. 13 years old, walking around guitar center only to look up the wall filled with Maryland's finest pieces. The PRS wall was like Omec from Legends Of The Hidden Temple talking to me, telling me its told tales of beautiful woods and tonal conquests that would take me years to truly appreciate.

Fast forward to now, 23, and years of playing high end Ibanez, Music Man and Custom ESP's. I've always been happy with my gear choices, but a long conversation with Emil reignited my desire. I instantly found myself on the PRS youtube channel, watching each video a dozen times and sitting in awe at the process of building a guitar. I can honestly tell you that I feel in the love with company before even recently playing an instrument. The attention to detail, the passion of every worker in every step of the process and the unbelievable family vibe the company gives off made me appreciate them even more. Then.....then I got one.

In an epic trade, I found myself with a beautiful PRS Custom 24 in Whale Blue with a 10 top from SS.org's very own Adam of Angels. After wiping down the drool, I played it. The Wide-Thin neck is amazing. Its just as fast as my Petrucci neck, but feels meatier in the sense that my chording comes much easier on it.

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

Within a week I found myself trying to wheel and deal the rest of my arsenal. Ibanez S prestige.....EBMM Petrucci...... ESP M..... goners.
I found a member on BaM looking to trade for my Petrucci for this lovely Custom 22. This baby has a Wide-Fat neck, GORGEOUSSSSSSS wood grains (especially on the back and neck) and also smells like vanilla.
The thing I like about the PRS necks is that I can play the wide-thin, then instantly switch to the wide-fat without any issues. You can feel the difference, but it's nothing that will set you back.

IMG_050666.jpg

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

Number 4 (we'll talk about 3 last), well came towards the end of this 4 week rampage. I picked this baby up from our very own MattsMusic from his store (he is an authorized retailer for PRS). He really goes out of his way to work things out including free 1-day FedEx shipping, an SS.org discount and even financing if you need it. My ESP Eclipse, which was my main stage guitar, left me craving a singlecut shape. The top on this sucked me. The Tremonti pickups are really nice! The bridge is even hotter than the Duncan Invader I had in the ESP.

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

And here's number 3. She's a diamond in the rough but thats what excites me. I got her without pickups and in rough shape for a price that reflects the condition. Luckily nothing surpasses the clear coat. The plan for this baby is going to be special with planning help from a friend of mine. I think you'll approve, but it's going to take some time :agreed:

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0.JPG

My studio looks like backstage at a concert now and quite frankly I'm OK with that. I have a 6505 for rehearsal purposes with the band so I can keep the fun toys at home except for shows.

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

PRS Cases are AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEE - but where the heck can I store them?! :nuts:

IMG_0542.JPG

I'd love to tell you my collection is complete, but I would probably be lying to you. It's not until now that I began looking at these things as art. My old guitars were always beautiful, but solely for my playing. I find myself looking at these tops, and inlays and just thinking of their journey from raw product to finished product. I appreciate other companies for sure, but EVERYTHING about these are for me.

Also - before you all jizz yourself, if there is one thing I can stress, it's that if you work hard, and plan smart, you can get any gear you want. I don't have a crazy job, and my family is your run of the mill working family but ever since I got a job at 14, I've smartly saved and invested in gear. Trading is your friend, you'll gradually move up until you can get whatever you want. I started with a Line6 combo and a $100 Ibanez - its turned into this. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Wow...Those are all just beautiful, even the last one. Any hint on what you'll do with it?

If I say too much I think it will give it away, but it'll be a nice overhaul and the color on the top should look amazing. What I will tell you is that I plan on using her as my main axe live, so as far as electronics I'll be giving her a set of Bareknuckles (probably aftermarths) along with a Graphtech GHOST system. I'm going to drill a single hole under the saddles in the trem plate so that you don't see ANY of the piezo wires either. Should be clean and mean my friends :shred:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
My mate has a custom 22 platinum he let me play a lot, and it's fucking amazing. Such a huge tone. I desperately want a PRS one day, probably a swamp ash special or hollowbody.

Congrats on your fine collection. :)

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
Love it dude. I just got my first PRS about two months ago and since then, I've gotten a Swamp Ash Special, and I am now trying to figure out how to get rid of all my other guitars and get more PRSi... Congrats dude!

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
The Custom 24 in whale blue is basically the pinnacle of PRS to me. I fell in love with one many years ago, and I intend to consummate that love someday.

By that I mean I'm going to buy a custom 24 in whale blue
Don't get any weird ideas

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
The Custom 24 in whale blue is basically the pinnacle of PRS to me. I fell in love with one many years ago, and I intend to consummate that love someday.

By that I mean I'm going to buy a custom 24 in whale blue
Don't get any weird ideas

:lol:

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The first one was mine wasn't it? Funny that were doing almost the opposite. Once I got my first JP I was hooked. Now I'm down to 1 PRS and awaiting the 3rd EBMM which will be here next week. I actually was looking to trade off the last PRS as well, but I think I'll keep it now for a little variety. As for that royal blue other than having no pickups it doesn't look bad at all. I would throw a nice set of pickups in there with a 3 way ASAP. Even if you have plans down the road for it. At least you'll get it playable now.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
The first one was mine wasn't it? Funny that were doing almost the opposite. Once I got my first JP I was hooked. Now I'm down to 1 PRS and awaiting the 3rd EBMM which will be here next week. I actually was looking to trade off the last PRS as well, but I think I'll keep it now for a little variety. As for that royal blue other than having no pickups it doesn't look bad at all. I would throw a nice set of pickups in there with a 3 way ASAP. Even if you have plans down the road for it. At least you'll get it playable now.

haha yeah - and don't think your artist isn't on my radar either :nono:

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score

The five way rotary club has its eyes on you in case of any future transgressions of our scripture

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
haha yeah - and don't think your artist isn't on my radar either :nono:

You should try and get it. It's a hell of a guitar. Although it has the wide/fat neck which is a good deal beefier. It's a tone monster though.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
You should try and get it. It's a hell of a guitar. Although it has the wide/fat neck which is a good deal beefier. It's a tone monster though.

Nice! My vintage natural custom 22 has a wide fat - I almost think I play better on a W/F although I prefer the W/T. The Tremonti I have has the 2011 "Pattern Thin" which is a perfect meet in the middle.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The five way rotary club has its eyes on you in case of any future transgressions of our scripture

F the 5 way rotary club. Here is my last remaining PRS and yes the 5 way rotary has been removed :fawk:
001-66.jpg

How bout this one?
004-58.jpg

snowblind56

Reaction score
I did the same exact thing this month. I traded my Ibanez Universe for a PRS Singlecut Trem Ten Top. Instantly addicted. I then got a Standard 24 from Nick at the Axe Palace and I nabbed a CE24 of ebay.

Seriously, your collection won't be complete until you get a CE24. I dig it more than the Standard 24 or the Singlecut.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Seriously, your collection won't be complete until you get a CE24. I dig it more than the Standard 24 or the Singlecut.
I actually had a super beat up CE years ago for a short period of time that was cool, but I'm addicted to birds which wasn't available on the CE normally. Definitely cool guitars for sure though! I can't even begin to think what I would want next - maybe some talent? :wallbash:

They sure know how to make beautiful guitars.
Ugh it's unfair. I mean picking one of these up I instantly stare at the wood for minutes. You can tell the quality of the wood is just unreal. I'd love to personally visit the wood library, maybe at Experience 2011.

10 top + 5 way rotary + trem = the only PRS that I will buy

Nice axes, BTW

Thanks! The 5 way is cool, but on my 22 I have a 3 way with push pull which yields some pretty sweet results also!