NGS/Review: Charvel Pro-Mod So-Cal Style 2 24 HT HH (aftermarket Evertune mod, Satin Black)

• Thread starter LunatiqueRob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've always wanted an Evertune guitar, because we all know how frustrating it can be when you spend the bulk of your time tuning the guitar instead of recording (and in my case, I don't gig anymore, so that's the extent of my frustrations). I also happened to always wanted a Tele, except I despise guitar designs without any ergonomic considerations. So when I saw the Charvel's take on the Tele with the forearm contour, belly cut, and contoured neck-heel and lower horn carve, not to mention the two different voicings (modern and vintage PAF) plus the split-coil, in three positions, giving you nine total available tones. As if that's not enough, there's also the caramelized Maple neck with the rolled fretboard edges (which I also have on my Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature and love). The only thing I wish this guitar had is stainless frets, and although satin black finish on this model is alright, there's a black ash version that shows the wood grain I prefer.

So when I saw a Reverb listing where someone was selling this model with an aftermarket Evertune Mod, I had to jump on it. Although the sale led to unpleasantness with the seller, who didn't disclose a thick paint stain on the guitar and then refused to be cooperative with Reverb's mediation team, the guitar itself (other than the stain that can't be removed with guitar cleaner) ticks so many boxes for me. The guitar is setup for drop C tuning, which isn't a tuning I have used, but have no real problem with. If I ever need to set it up to standard E, I'd need to buy the tension moddules for thinner gauge strings, but for now I'm going to leave it in drop C.

_DSC3343.jpg
_DSC3344.jpg
_DSC3349.jpg
_DSC3348.jpg

_DSC3350.jpg
_DSC3351.jpg
_DSC3352.jpg
_DSC3347.jpg
_DSC3353.jpg

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like a great score! Shame to hear about the undisclosed issue.
Not sure what string gauges they've used, but I went the other way (standard tuning to drop C) and didn't need new tension modules. Evertune confirmed it and I double confirmed it by doing it lol.
If you wanted to tune that gauge of strings up to standard tuning then perhaps, but if you were to just restring with a thinner gauge then nothing more than a standard setup (Evertune equivalent) would be required.

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looks like a great score! Shame to hear about the undisclosed issue.
Not sure what string gauges they've used, but I went the other way (standard tuning to drop C) and didn't need new tension modules. Evertune confirmed it and I double confirmed it by doing it lol.
If you wanted to tune that gauge of strings up to standard tuning then perhaps, but if you were to just restring with a thinner gauge then nothing more than a standard setup (Evertune equivalent) would be required.
Yeah, I eventually figured that out (and also found out about the color-coded tension springs. Mine are all silver). If/when I decide to tune it to standard, I'll p/obably put a set of 9--46 on it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
How are you liking the Evertune? I'm the same - don't play live anymore but its the tuning up between takes when recording. Also I play quite heavy handedly, so eliminating pitch drift is ideal for me. And the bonus of improved-sounding intonation with chords on the neck as well! I love them.

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How are you liking the Evertune? I'm the same - don't play live anymore but its the tuning up between takes when recording. Also I play quite heavy handedly, so eliminating pitch drift is ideal for me. And the bonus of improved-sounding intonation with chords on the neck as well! I love them.
I like it so far. It's not as bulletproof as people make it out to be, probably because I have it set to the edge of zone 2 and 3 for responsive bending, so I find I still have to tune it once a while. If I kept it just in zone 2, it would probably stay in tune all the time, but I gots ta have my boomer bends.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
It's not just the boomer bends! I didn't realise how much vibrato or little bends I add for feel in riffs I've written until I got the ET

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's not just the boomer bends! I didn't realise how much vibrato or little bends I add for feel in riffs I've written until I got the ET
Absolutely. I can live without bends but I can't live without vibrato, and the only way to get instantly responsive vibrato is right at the edge of zone 2 right before going into zone 3.

I know they've been working on a tremolo version of Evertune for years, and if it does what it promises, I'll definitely be getting one.

Loydthebartender

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Absolutely. I can live without bends but I can't live without vibrato, and the only way to get instantly responsive vibrato is right at the edge of zone 2 right before going into zone 3.

I know they've been working on a tremolo version of Evertune for years, and if it does what it promises, I'll definitely be getting one.
I just leave mine in zone 2 and don’t really play leads on it. I use it a lot when recording rhythms or just banging on chords. It’s so handy to have one guitar that is in tune all the time. I honestly believe no guitar collection is complete without one evertune.

They really need to work on an acoustic version or an acoustic guitar that can take an evertune. I’d buy that sight unseen. I don’t need to bend on an acoustic, I just need it to stay in tune

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
The whole "one guitar with an Evertune" makes sense until you realise that we're all gearheads, so you need an extra one for a different tuning, another one with actives, another one with cooler more vintage sounding pickups for cleans etc :lol:

Loydthebartender

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The whole "one guitar with an Evertune" makes sense until you realise that we're all gearheads, so you need an extra one for a different tuning, another one with actives, another one with cooler more vintage sounding pickups for cleans etc :lol:
Oh yeah I plan to own at least one more. I have a 7 right now and I’d like a six string with a really pointy body shape. I’d love something super metal looking with an evertune so it will be in tune even if I don’t play it for a month. And also like I said if they release an acoustic I’m game. What I mean is a lot of people are on the fence about evertune since it’s a relatively new technology, but it’s not an all of nothing thing. I still primarily prefer fixed bridges but I can’t imagine not finding SOME use for a guitar with an evertune even if it’s not your main axe. It’s just so handy.