NHL 2021-2022

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
I am pleasantly surprised with the signings for Edmonton. I'm a little hesitant on Campbell at 5x5 but are far as the options available it wasn't the worst outcome. Kulak was a sigh of relief, now there's Yamamoto and McLeod to grab. Puljujarvi's situation is going to be interesting. hopefully Holland nabs Strome, too.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Clearly Colorado agrees with your assessment of "solid", which makes this deal (until he's 37) kinda...nuts?

Well he wanted 6 years, so I guess 5 is a win. I like the Avs approach though, they let Grubauer walk after being a Vezina Trophy finalist and Kuemper after winning a cup. They aren’t overpaying for goalies and both were due for raises.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Didn’t see that coming.
after taxes he left something like $20 million after taxes on the table going there, vs. Calgary's 8 x 10.5 deal

definitely outta left field. If he actually went home to Jersey/Philly I don't think I would have booed him. Now though? Every time he touches the puck, no standing O before the game, nothing ... he's dead to me

especially after stringing us along to the absolute last minute. We could have done something to get Fiala or DeBrincat and avoid a rebuild but now? Who the hell knows

AdamMaz

Reaction score
I have no idea what is going on :lol:
Of all the destinations speculated on for Petry, I did not even hear a whisper of Pittsburgh, color me surprised. I imagine he will be a wonderful #2 to Letang, all situations kind of defenseman. Great when he is "on", but can be streaky and make boneheaded turnovers.

Poehling was a 1st round pick, good young 200ft centerman, I had a lot of hope in him. Injury really hampered his progression and lowered his projection to a reliable 4th line center. Perhaps with a better opportunity and some time, he will come to blossom.

Although it sounded like Matheson had a good bounceback season, my limited knowledge of him as me feeling underwhelmed by this return. I'm sure they will be sure to sing his praises here as a local boy.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Petry can be a solid top-4, last year has been his worse after the year before where he had its best. Hope for you guys that he'll be the 2020-21 version of himself.

I'm a bit sad about loosing Poehling, always thought that his first game hat trick was an odd point that raised hopes of some fans way too high, but he still has potential to be a solid third liner at some point.

Not sure what salary Matheson conduct but I guess that he's still paid less than Petry, which was the whole point of trading the latter

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Not sure what salary Matheson conduct but I guess that he's still paid less than Petry, which was the whole point of trading the latter
Petry $6.25m x 3y.
Matheson $4.875m x 4y.

Poehling is $0.75m and RFA after next season.

Despite our extremely promising defence prospects, the roster corp is looking mighty thin at the moment. Hoping there is another trade coming up in the near future because we still have little to no cap space for signing. Our top-4 is basically 3 second-pairing defenceman, with a clear weakness on the right side.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Our top-4 is basically 3 second-pairing defenceman, with a clear weakness on the right side.

Well, similar position than last year basically. I still feel bad for Montembeault and Primeau who had next to nobody to help them through the season. And for the record, I never liked Petry, thought that I was wrong about him after his 2020-21 season, but he came back to his sketchy plays and puck mishandling last year.

With all that said, I've read that Pitlick's 2yrs contract is 1.1mils/season, now that is something I can stand behind, hopefully he can play next season just like he did right after the Habs reclaimed him through the waivers

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pens still have 9 D signed, though Smith is at least waiver exempt. I suspect this won't be the last trade and assuming Petry isn't over the hill the D core has improved. Matheson had a good year for the Pens, but it will be interesting to see if he will carry on going forward.

Oh and I did hear the Petry rumor, but discounted it :lol:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pens still have 9 D signed, though Smith is at least waiver exempt. I suspect this won't be the last trade and assuming Petry isn't over the hill the D core has improved. Matheson had a good year for the Pens, but it will be interesting to see if he will carry on going forward.

Oh and I did hear the Petry rumor, but discounted it :lol:
Petry will be fine as a 2nd D pairing. MTL wasn't going to be competitive anyway and I feel like this is a real housecleaning.

The elephant in the room, of course, is Price.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Petry will be fine as a 2nd D pairing. MTL wasn't going to be competitive anyway and I feel like this is a real housecleaning.

The elephant in the room, of course, is Price.

Yeah pretty sure Price is done, he just needs to come to the realization. If they're lucky he realizes it and retires before he burns another season for them. I love Price and would love to see him come back and be successful, just don't realistically see it happening.

As for the Pens seems like the roster has a ton of talent.. but is probably too old for the kind of mileage it takes for an 82 game season and Cup run. But we'll see. They're also likely to lose a D or two to waiver claims given they have 9 guys under contract and only one of them is waiver exempt. They also have IIRC 4 undrafted college free agents they signed at the end of last year plus the AHL guys so unless something changes there will be some younger guys in the bottom six at least.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah pretty sure Price is done, he just needs to come to the realization. If they're lucky he realizes it and retires before he burns another season for them. I love Price and would love to see him come back and be successful, just don't realistically see it happening.
Most of the discussion is for him to be on LTIR this season because his retiring this year would be basically salary cap destruction for the team, and that way he still gets paid. He's done, though, I just can't see him coming back.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Most of the discussion is for him to be on LTIR this season because his retiring this year would be basically salary cap destruction for the team, and that way he still gets paid. He's done, though, I just can't see him coming back.
I still don't fully understand how LTIR works, but that sounds an awful lot like the Weber situation and makes sense overall. I would be equally surprised to ever see him back.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
With Gaudreau leaving and freeing up cap space, I'm having trouble understanding how the Matthew Tkachuk situation is where it is...

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Calgary offered Johnny more money than anybody else... a lot more. He left anyway to be closer to home.

They also offered Tkachuk a ton of money, probably more than anybody else... and he's going to leave anyway to be closer to home.

There's nothing they could have done to keep either one of them. At least Tkachuk told the team he's not staying. The rumored Tkachuk for Kyrou/(Tarasenko or Krug)/Neighbours trade sounds really nice and would let us continue to compete.

Calgary is cheap?
There's also this. The Saddledome is a fuckin embarrassment. Last time I went, there was an inch of standing "water" under the urinals in the washroom. Our multi-billionaire owner who makes some ludicrous amount of dividends per year, maybe $600-700 million, threw a tantrum over $25 million in cost escalation on the new arena and pulled the plug on the deal. Total estimated cost of the arena? $634 million. Taxpayers were paying for half and he was going to keep 98% of the revenue.

Guy lives on a yacht in the middle of the ocean so he doesn't have to pay any taxes. I actually work for his company. Relative to inflation my salary has dropped about 25% since I started here. I got promoted, finally got a decent raise - its about half what inflation is at so far this year. In that same time, the dividend has gone up 700%

So on one hand it really, really sucks to see the team getting dismantled like this but on the other, he's just getting what he deserves so :shrug:

Last edited:

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Wow, I actually feel bad for Calgary. They looked like a solid team for the near future, now Tkachuk wants out too. I can’t remember a team losing two 100pt guys in the same offseason. I’ve heard the “arena is a turd” theory ossed around along with the taxes and COVID lockdowns in Canada being a reason that Gaudreau wanted out.