Nice neck pup to pair with the dimebucker?

• Thread starter SYLrules88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
i usually hate making threads asking what i should get, but i did a search on the dimebucker and came up with mostly threads of people selling dimebuckers or people trying to trade with others. so i guess its not a popular pickup :lol:

my theory with this pup is that it would excel at lower tunings but it ended up in my guitar that stayed in standard tuning, and for a while i was playing through a crate vfx5212 combo. that equals getting stabbed in the ear drums with ice picks :noplease:

however, im switching some pups around in a few of my guitars and this one is going in a noticeably darker voiced guitar, an ltd ax-350 w/ mahogany body. this has been paired with a seymour duncan full shred. that is my absolute favorite neck pup ive ever played but it really doesn't match the dimebucker at all, and i think the full shred would get muddy in this darker guitar especially since this guitar will stay 1.5 steps down at the highest.

so im wondering if anyone here has experience with this pup (and actually likes it) and what sorts of neck pups it would pair well with? my head and cab i use now is in my sig and i dont really have any specific tones im going for. i just want the pup to be warm and not very trebly at all. id like a nice clean tone in the mid position, distorted doesnt really matter since im usually only on one pup then.

I did just buy a 6 string Q tuner. id rather put that in my c-1 classic to pair up with a tremonti bridge pup for the sexiest cleans the race of man will ever hear, but if someone thinks it would pair well with the dimebucker then i can just pair the full shred with the tremonti.

any help is appreciated :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hosenbugler

Untilted
Reaction score
I recommend getting rid of the Dimebucker tbh, they're fucking horrid in every way.

I'd get a DiMarzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire set tbh. They go well in pretty much any type of wood IMO, and they sound great for just about any kind of music you want to play. Or just get the Crunch Lab if you want to keep the Full Shred.

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
I recommend getting rid of the Dimebucker tbh, they're fucking horrid in every way.

I'd get a DiMarzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire set tbh. They go well in pretty much any type of wood IMO, and they sound great for just about any kind of music you want to play. Or just get the Crunch Lab if you want to keep the Full Shred.

This :agreed:

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
old bandmate used a Epiphone Dot studio with a dimebucker. it was the worse tone ever. That pickup is horrible.

idk about a good neck match, as youre going to have to find someting that balances with that super high output dimebucker.

gearhead

Reaction score
I have a Dimebucker in one of my guitars. I use a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck. They work well together in my opinion. This is only guitar that I turn the tone knob down for (Dime is too bright). I definitely prefer my D Activator/D Activator-X combo better for my six strings. It's all a matter of opinion.

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
I had one and gave it away. It isn't the best PU ever and the Dsonic with the bar facing the bridge walks all over it.

That out of the way the SD jazz always seemed perfect with it in the PU's new home. Mostly because It seems that the pickup is best suited for rock and the Jazz work well for cleans and is very complex when coil tapped.

As someone has already said, you should try the liquifire/crunchlab over the dimebucker.

I'm kinda reluctant to post this, but bear with me. It was a long time ago. This is the person I gave the pickup to playing it. The head is an unboosted 6505+ and a mesa cab of some sort, I can't remember which one. The microphone was a condenser The drums are too loud but you can definitely get the idea. I probably have some more soundclips to offer that were recorded much better.

That be enough to tell that is it isn't utter crap as someone said. It's definitely beats a lot of commonly used pickups in several aspects.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
when i first got the dimebucker, i put it in a jackson and tuned the guitar to C standard, and i thought it sounded amazing. its got a little but distinct character to it and i can hear it in this video.

thanks for the advice so far but im still gonna give it a try in the ax-350. i think it will go quite nicely since this guitar is generally darker voiced. as luck would have it, the neck pickup being recommended (SD jazz) is the one i hate the most! :lol: right now its paired with a bright pickup (SD custom 5) and theres actually not an incredible difference in tones when i move the selector switch. it all sounds too harsh. if i remain unsatisfied with the dimebucker, it will get replaced with either a D sonic, crunch lab, or SD alternative 8 as i hear thats an incredibly underrated pup.

ok lets pretend for a moment that this is not a dimebucker but instead just a bright high output pup. would this pair well with a high Z Q tuner in the neck pos?

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
You know when it comes to pairing a set of pickups I think it's best to just get whatever that has the sound you want.

The only issue is the volume balance when switching back and forth, but you can adjust the height. With high gain bridge pickups you're more open with how hot things can get in the neck.

If you want to try a Q tuner go for it. I don't think your guitar will explode because the two pickups hate each other and get into a cat fight.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
dude i dont know, they might. ive heard some stories. really. really. horrible. stories.

haha no the reason i ask is that i already bought one. it can go in another guitar if that and the dimebucker decide they dont like eachother.

as far as just getting the sound i want, well i have an idea of what i want from a neck pup and that is embodied in the full shred, but it really doesn't mix well with the dimebucker. they just dont compliment eachother much.

snowblind56

Reaction score
For what it's worth, Dimebag used a SD 59 in the neck position with his Dimebucker/Bill Lawrence pickups in the bridge.