Non political figure found guilty of crimes

• Thread starter StevenC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
S&W500 will drop a bear. Just gotta do your marksmanship work and not fire until you've established that you've run out of other options/aren't being taunted with bluff charges that can be defused by scaring it. I think a lot of folks carry smaller caliber 357s in the woods. I hope I'm never in a situation where I need to test this, but if I am, I will report back. I think it's more likely I'll die of Lyme disease from the 1000000000 ticks out here.

Bear Spray seems to be the popular carry in Canadian woods. Nothing wrong with it and I have a can myself.

*s&w500 4" model. No one wants to carry the full size version.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
For no other reason than distraction from the horror of current events, what are your tips for good bear protection strategy? Sprays or something?
Show it an Etherial guitar. The bear will be so horrified by the tackiness and dumb shapes taken straight out of a 13 year old's tribal design doodle that it'll tesselate right the fuck outta there.

Everyone knows bears have good taste.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
it's mostly a waste of time in the USA with how easy it is to get fully functioning firearms
IMO the rest of the paragraph is mostly moot because of this. The guy who is going to go out of his way to 3D print a gun isn't the target of gun control. The angry drunk or hormone'd up teen with no impulse control is, or, maybe more pointedly, the tough guys who bring guns to the grocery store because granny at the front of line might also be packing, but also granny at the front of the line who IS packing because of said tough guy. Neither of them is going to put their gun down until something forces them to do it at the same time.

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
Simple, they don't. Theft, private party sales, gun shows and 3d printing make gun laws about as useful as trying to collect water with a sieve.
Legally sold guns that then pass into, let’s say “irresponsible” users’ hands, is the major culprit in the US. Reducing the number of guns floating around the population will reduce shooting deaths, because right now there is virtually no stopping guns getting into the hands of those users.

52k guns involved in shootings in the past 18 years were originally owned by police, mostly that were then resold by the department. With that kind of statistic it is clear that our laws and desire to do right has failed.

I like guns and think they’re fun as hell, but I wouldn’t blink twice if a blanket ban and confiscation occurred now. The amount of idiocy surrounding them and the absolute mismanagement that leads to them being used in shootings is absurd. Maybe someday US populace will become responsible enough again to own them.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
BTW, for the record, bear spray should be first line of defense imo and is proven to be highly effective. I'd rather be safe and not have to kill or permanently maim a wild animal when I'm trespassing in their environment. Carrying a weapon in the woods is a personal choice for me and nothing more. I won't go to bat for the practice one way or another.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
It's too crazy. There was a guy I knew last year who went to school in the US because he had a scholarship. Spanish 17yo kid, he went to some of the more rural states, can't remember which exactly though.
And from the short time he was there he knew another guy from school who accidentally killed himself because of some accident with his gun. Then the school shooter drills, the armed police at school. It's just too much.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
And from the short time he was there he knew another guy from school who accidentally killed himself because of some accident with his gun. Then the school shooter drills, the armed police at school. It's just too much

My life experience suggests this is blown out of proportion on the fear meter. After columbine, we did have active shooter drills once a year where the teacher locks the classroom door and turns off the lights and the student are asked to remain quiet while a police officer checks to make sure all the locks on the doors are functioning. You quietly doodle and chill for 15 mins. Armed police? We had a school resource officer who had an office near the principal and would come in to the building like 3 hours a week to talk to the VP and find out if any fights had occurred or if there were any issues needing police involvement like a kid showing up with bruises from home. Cops carry guns here, doesnt matter what their assignment is. Just sayin that's my experience.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah and after I graduated, certain kids i guess complained the police uniform scared them when he was in the building so the department complied to make kids feel safe and made the officer wear sportcoats and slacks so he looked like a banker lmao

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
S&W500 will drop a bear. Just gotta do your marksmanship work and not fire until you've established that you've run out of other options/aren't being taunted with bluff charges that can be defused by scaring it. I think a lot of folks carry smaller caliber 357s in the woods. I hope I'm never in a situation where I need to test this, but if I am, I will report back. I think it's more likely I'll die of Lyme disease from the 1000000000 ticks out here.

Bear Spray seems to be the popular carry in Canadian woods. Nothing wrong with it and I have a can myself.

*s&w500 4" model. No one wants to carry the full size version.
up in AK most of the locals who spend a lot of time in the woods I talked to were carrying 12ga shotguns or something decently high caliber along with bear spray.

I've had some encounters with grizzly sows/cubs in MT and WY and bear spray/gtfoing are the only reason I'm not dead.

Black bears are generally a nonissue ime.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
up in AK most of the locals who spend a lot of time in the woods I talked to were carrying 12ga shotguns or something decently high caliber along with bear spray.

I've had some encounters with grizzly sows/cubs in MT and WY and bear spray/gtfoing are the only reason I'm not dead.

Black bears are generally a nonissue ime.

Agree. Here all we have are black bears. Only a potential problem when mama shows up. Just north of Whitefish MT was the only place I ever saw a Grizzly. Big sonabitch too. We packed it up for the day after that.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Agree. Here all we have are black bears. Only a potential problem when mama shows up. Just north of Whitefish MT was the only place I ever saw a Grizzly. Big sonabitch too. We packed it up for the day after that.
We have a fair amount of black bears in MN/WI and attacks (particularly fatal ones) are so uncommon that it generally makes the news when it does happen.
I can't say the same for grizzly country though.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Hahahah my stepdad and I saw a black bear while hunting in Maine year’s back, I was probably 7 or 8. It was a ways from us, across a stream, stepdad stopped me dead in my tracks and we waited to move until the bear went in the opposite direction.

Despite the rifle in his hands, there was absolutely no “Don’t worry, we’re protected” going on. :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Its all fun and games til the bear cubs are between you and the 100ft to your door. Shoutout rural Ontario.

I think people saying school drills arent bad etc over school shootings and gun access in this thread dont have kids :2c:.

Anyway it’d be funny to me personally if Trump took all the guns but that implies he wins which is horrifying.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
51Dla5JAObL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
it’d be funny to me personally if Trump took all the guns
I don't think that's beyond the realm of possibility. For all the effort that's gone into grasping for power and influence, as soon as there was a threat to that power, I'm sure he could be convinced to act to protect it. If Trump himself feared an armed uprising against him, I'd put money on him and his administration turning 180 and finding a way to disarm The Libs or Antifa or whatever boogieman they would need to use to take people's guns. Only the Good God Fearing Loyal Patriots can have guns. Suddenly the "checks and balances" to getting a weapon are less about mental health and more about fealty to the Lord Cheeto.

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
You shouldn't be allowed to own a gun even tho bears exist and there's an unbelievably tiny chance they might maul you. The same people who are like "if anyone came into my house i'd kill them" are the same type of violent troglodytes that enjoy going into other animals homes such as the woods and then murdering them for fun. You're more likely to get attacked by a shark than a bear and that could always be 100% avoided by not going into their home (the ocean) 😛

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
You're more likely to get attacked by a shark than a bear
While I'm with your general point, I don't think this is literally true. Bears do wander into people's yards, or farmers fields or what have you. That doesn't mean every Joe needs to be packing at the supermarket, of course.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I think you're also more likely to be attacked by deer or cattle or something innocuous then you are from being attacked by sharks.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Tbh, other humans in the woods are the biggest threat generally. And I don't know how many of you have had a weird encounter with a weird person in the woods, but it is horror movie level creepy.