Non political figure found guilty of crimes

• Thread starter StevenC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Tbh, other humans in the woods are the biggest threat generally. And I don't know how many of you have had a weird encounter with a weird person in the woods, but it is horror movie level creepy.
Oh are we back on the man vs bear hypothetical? Can't believe people (men boys, let's be real) were surprised that almost nobody wants to run into a random man in the woods.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
We have a fair amount of black bears in MN/WI and attacks (particularly fatal ones) are so uncommon that it generally makes the news when it does happen.
I can't say the same for grizzly country though.
My girlfriend and I were hiking in Montana once (Mount Blackmore, near Bozeman). The 9lb miniature poodle we were with started freaking out and ran ahead of us, diving into some underbrush. Two seconds later, a mother black bear with two cubs came running out of that underbrush and took off as fast as they could down the trail. Poodle chased them for a while and then came back to us.

(Later, on the same trip, we went hiking up Sphinx Mountain. Met a park ranger at the trailhead who said that there'd been a grizzly causing problems in local camping areas, getting into trash and so forth. It was late September and they get frisky that time of year because they're looking to pack on fat for the winter. We didn't have bear spray with us and there was no one else on the trail that day, so we'd be all alone for the whole time. Decided to go anyway. About a mile in, there were fresh bear tracks on the trail (like, maybe an hour old max), about the size of dinner plates. We kept going and didn't have any encounters after that, but that may not have been the wisest decision I've taken part in.)

I don't have a point, just contributing to this conversation about bears.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Tbh, other humans in the woods are the biggest threat generally. And I don't know how many of you have had a weird encounter with a weird person in the woods, but it is horror movie level creepy.
Back when I was a teenager my friends and I would routinely take night hikes through one of the local parks. Head out at 10ish, stay out till like 2am.
Even with a whole pack of guys it was always extremely disarming coming across someone else that was out there at that time of night but it was much more common than i would have ever assumed. Definitely high on the creepy scale, especially the ones who wouldn't say a word, not even the awkward "hey there" in passing.

Despite being in the woods in rural California we only ever had 1 encounter with a bear and it nope'd out of the situation immediately. Had more close calls with napping rattlesnakes on the trail almost getting stepped on due to the low visibility :lol:

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Surely, I thought, there are hilarious bear spray reviews on Amazon:

Amber
The bear spray did not spray forward. It sprayed outward and all over me and not the animal. It almost cost me my damn life! If you value your life find a better product

Drew bates
Lost my dogs and my wife to the bear. 1 star. Shipping was fast tho!! 3 stars.

Ronan
Bear almost ate me If you’re not upwind of the bear you have a max of about 20 feet. I sprayed the little bugger and he blinked wiped his face and charged me again. I would recommend something way stronger and had more of a stream then mist.

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
About a mile in, there were fresh bear tracks on the trail (like, maybe an hour old max), about the size of dinner plates.
Seeing fresh bear tracks is always a bit unnerving. I was visiting friends in Nanaimo, BC, decided to go to the beach on the other side of the island for a bit. Parked the car, walked the 50m through the woods on a footpath, and spent about an hour checking it all out. On our way back we saw fresh bear prints on the path. :ugh: Started jingling our keys and noped on out of there as fast we could!

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Annnd trump is right back to ramping up the rhetoric, and he also picked JD Vance as VP who is nothing more than a male MTG who will do whatever trump wants.

So back to whether or not the assassination attempt guarantees trump the election. No. No it does not.

October is a long ways out, and they're just going to keep ramping it up and crossing too many lines to win over the average voter. imho of course. Exciting times though ain't it.

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
I for one am unbelievably stoked to have a major surgery in November that will leave my body unable to produce enough natural hormones to be healthy and then to have my necessary life saving healthcare and medications banned by Donald Trump if he gets back in office so I get to die from that or die when trans people get rounded up and imprisoned/ killed. Very fucking cool tbh lol

Cis people be like "damn that sucks but it doesn't affect me so good luck with that".

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was going to say there's no bears in the Amazon, but apparently there's one kind of bear in the Amazon. Only ever killed one human on record though, whatever that means for this very important tangent.
See, I fucking learned something today! Thanks SSO! 😍🧠

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
It's the spookiest month. I too, look forward to stuffing my face with candy to forget about totally non political figures for a day or so.

Hell yeah. I want to listen to Acid Witch, King Diamond, Fabio Frizzi, John Carpenter soundtracks, and Mortician while eating lots of sugar and looking at dying leaves!