None of the big four thrash bands have ever played Ibanez

• Thread starter Ancestor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Alex from Testament played Ibanez...he is in the big 5 but close enough.

I think it was a matter early thrash staying away from gunslinger guitarist attitudes...nothing flashy. Ibanez had some flashy guitars for sure.

Gibsons were more throwback to Iommi and the beginning of metal. I think thrash bands grabbed onto the Sabbath look and feel more than anything else.
Yes, this is exactly what I think.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
metallica-comienzos.jpg

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Someone clearly hasn't been paying attention to Megadeth for the past 15 years. :p
Their current lead guitarist, Kiko Loureiro, has his own signature model (based on an S). His predecessor, Chris Broderick, played a LACS 7-string RG live and reportedly recorded Endgame using a custom 6-string S. Marty Friedman has also had a signature Ibanez, but not until after he left Megadeth.

Chris Broderick on stage with Megadeth playing an Ibanez.

Even if no "big four" guitarist had ever used an Ibanez guitar, this wouldn't give any indication of the suitability of Ibanez guitars for thrash. It's such a limited sample pool and, despite being touted as the "big four of thrash", they are not the favourite thrash bands of all that many thrash fans. Plenty of decent thrash bands have opted to use Ibanez.

Off the top of my head:
Exodus - Both guitarists (after Kirk left) played Ibanez in the '80s.
Testament - Alex Skolnick + their original bassist used to play Ibanez.
Sodom - Tom Angelripper plays an Ibanez Destroyer bass.
Celtic Frost / Helhammer - Tom G Warrior is a long-time Ibanez player.

So that's 1/4 of the "big four" and 3/6 of the "big six" who have used Ibanez. They must be pretty decent for thrash

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ah nice, somebody to take the heat off me for posting that Lexus thread.

Like others said, Kiko.

sonoftheoldnorth

Reaction score
Still no one mentioned Trey from Morbid Angel. Still trying to figure out how he gets that tone.
You can find his full rig details if you look around. Blaze pups, PAF pro on 6ers, a Rat and an EQ pedal with the level up into the clean channel of a JCM900 HGDR with the straight Marshall cabs. You can get rat and amp settings from googling ma photos.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
Screenshot_2023-03-11-11-22-37-814_com.miui.gallery.jpg
There's another pic floating around somewhere of him playing a black RG770 looking thing with shark fins and binding at a concert.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Alex from Testament played Ibanez...he is in the big 5 but close enough.

I think it was a matter early thrash staying away from gunslinger guitarist attitudes...nothing flashy. Ibanez had some flashy guitars for sure.

Gibsons were more throwback to Iommi and the beginning of metal. I think thrash bands grabbed onto the Sabbath look and feel more than anything else.

The main crunch sound of Testament has never come from Ibanez. :wavey:

Marked Man

Reaction score
Not the Big 4 but Rocky George from Suicidal Tendencies was always on RG's

Imagine Kerry King smashing out War Ensemble on a JEM 😛

I'd rather not... :ugh:

I recall seeing one concert in South America or somewhere where apparently Slayer's guitars were held by customs, so they had to source some local gear from a music store. I believe Jeff ended up with an Ibanez and Kerry got a cheaper line of B.C. Rich Mock. Just didn't look right....

Jeff played a Les Paul in the earliest days, then B.C., Jackson for a long time, and ESP til the end. I don't recall ever seeing Kerry regularly playing anything for a considerable time other than B.C. or ESP.

Marked Man

Reaction score
I can't be 100% sure but I think Jeff Hanneman is holding a Ibanez JEM555(?) in the picture below.

d0d23f42ca4256a2d26d32a3ab9df099.jpg

So guitarist "X" picked up a guitar for a month or a year (or a photo shoot) and that makes it substantial in his career?

yan12

Reaction score
The main crunch sound of Testament has never come from Ibanez. :wavey:
The thread is not about the sound. It's about the big 4 not playing Ibanez guitars. As can be seen by this thread, Ibanez was used a plenty in the early thrash days by many famous bands.

I don't have a dog in this fight, i just know I saw Ibanez guitars being used by thrash bands in 83-84 when I first started going to these shows. Perhaps they were only used here and there, but I sure as hell saw them.

Latest posts