noob rack mount questions: power amp power vs. cab power handling?

broj15

Reaction score
So I've come across a pretty good deal on a rack mount preamp and it's motivated to redo my rig. I know rack mount stuff isn't as popular as it used to be, but it seems like the lightest and cheapest way to get an excessively loud rig, especially when you factor in long term costs of a tube amp like inevitable repairs and re-tubing. Of course I'll be missing out on the "tube tone", but considering alot of my favorite amps are solid state I feel like I won't be too let down.
So, now I'm in the market for a power amp. I'm looking at alot of class D stuff, mainly because they're light weight, run cool, and don't take up to much space.

The only problem is that I'm seeing some conflicting information as far as how much power your power amp should have Vs. how much your cab could handle.
Of course, I've always been of the understanding that the power from your head shouldn't exceed the rating on your cab, and if it does not by much. Even then you're starting to walk on thin ice. However in doing some research online about rack mount set up using class D power amps I've read that you should get a power amp that actually has MORE power than what your cab is rated. Now, to me, that goes against everything I've ever known, but the reasoning behind it kinda makes sense: maxing out a power amp causes clipping (duh) which produces square waves. It's actually the square wave that can cause serious damage to your driver's (the square wave means the cone basically maxes out when moving in/out and, as the wave is square, stays at that "maximum" point for a prolonged period of time causing wear to the cone & heat in the voice coil). The sources I've been looking at say that this is actually what's occuring when speakers fail due to being "under powered".
So, is all that information valid or is it bullshit. Or is it subjective & stuff should be considered on a case by case basis like so much of the other stuff we talk about when it comes to gear?

Just to illustrate the situation a little better with some real world examples: there's a Crown XLS 1500 that's for sale locally for about $100 cheaper than the cheapest ones online. I know that crown makes solid stuff so I'm not worried about that. What I'm worried about is that considering the specs on it are 2 channels, each putting out 525W @ 4ohm. The cab I'd be using is rated for 600W. Would that work out ok without damaging anything or should I look into a power amp with more or less power? Obviously I won't ever need 525W for guitar or bass, but I figured I'd try and get the most for my money in case I ever wanna use the power amp + a mixer to run a small PA set up.

Also, since I am new to this and there's a TON of power amps for sale locally (to the point where it's almost over whelming) tell me about your rack mount set ups. What brands/models should I look at or stay away from? If you're using a solid state power amp what model and what cab do you have it paired with?
As usual thanks in advance. This forum is always my most trusted resource when it comes to these specific gear related questions.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Short answer: don't worry about it.

Longer answer: Numeric values are given to stuff such as power output and power handling to help simplify some pretty not exact things. An amp is pretty much never outputting it's power rating continuously, and the ratings in general are often inflated (usually rounded up). Same with cabs. They won't melt the instant that you supply above the power level they're rated at, which like output is rounded down. There is more nuance as to what frequencies the speaker more or less efficiently reproduces, but overall you'd have to have a very particular setup to damage a speaker array with a normal amp, even one with an order of magnitude more rated wattage, and you'll go deaf long before you hit that range.

broj15

Reaction score
Short answer: don't worry about it.

Longer answer: Numeric values are given to stuff such as power output and power handling to help simplify some pretty not exact things. An amp is pretty much never outputting it's power rating continuously, and the ratings in general are often inflated (usually rounded up). Same with cabs. They won't melt the instant that you supply above the power level they're rated at, which like output is rounded down. There is more nuance as to what frequencies the speaker more or less efficiently reproduces, but overall you'd have to have a very particular setup to damage a speaker array with a normal amp, even one with an order of magnitude more rated wattage, and you'll go deaf long before you hit that range.

And that's exactly what I needed to know. I kinda figured figured I was in the clear but I just wanted to be sure.
whats the preamp ?

https://www.hilbishdesign.com/shop/beta-preamplifier

Made an offer expecting the seller to say "let's meet in the middle" and then they just accepted. Kinda felt bad and it was kinda unexpected, but after talking to the seller it sounded like they weren't desperate and just wanted to move into something different.
Basically a Sunn beta lead/bass preamp but it's not 30-40 years old and in need of a recap & you aren't limited by the (in my experience underwhelming) 100 watt power amp.