"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's some shitty country song that blatantly rips off Rebel Rebel's chord progression/melody and the local country channels play it ALL THE FUCKING TIME.
this one:

I mean it's slightly less shitty than Kid Rock's Sweet Home Alabama.

this one also sucks:

I remember hearing that Chris Young song at work when it was country day on the radio and was like wtf?! That's Rebel Rebel!

I showed it to my wife and daughter, who are huge Bowie fans, and they got visibly angry lmao

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what is up with married men always talking about their wives "not allowing" them to buy guitars? Don't you work every day? Aren't you a grown ass man?

I assume, as an adult, you know how to make money and manage your finances. Are you so incapable of managing your bills that your wife has to control what you spend?

Why are you bothering with a relationship in which your partner wants to control you and gets angry at you for having a hobby...a hobby in which she knew of before you got married?

I've been in many relationships and someone telling me what to do with my money is unfathomable. I'm aware that married people share finances, but again I'd like to think a man would have enough sense to know not to skip rent this month for a new guitar. Hopefully he isn't that irresponsible.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what is up with married men always talking about their wives "not allowing" them to buy guitars? Don't you work every day? Aren't you a grown ass man?

I assume, as an adult, you know how to make money and manage your finances. Are you so incapable of managing your bills that your wife has to control what you spend?

Why are you bothering with a relationship in which your partner wants to control you and gets angry at you for having a hobby...a hobby in which she knew of before you got married?

I've been in many relationships and someone telling me what to do with my money is unfathomable. I'm aware that married people share finances, but again I'd like to think a man would have enough sense to know not to skip rent this month for a new guitar. Hopefully he isn't that irresponsible.
Ha! You're just mad cause you got tendonitis in your cock and osteoarthritis in your knees!

Dude, I have to say that I lucked out. Can't speak for others but my wife knows that I'm devoted to her and our marriage.. she's never doubted that for a second. And I suppose that she's always had a genuine appreciation for the kind of dude I am, so when the hobby-gas starts itcin, she obliges with the scratch.

But I'm also not going crazy... thinking that I deserve a custom TA or PRS or whatever. I'm super budget-minded and I make sure day-to-day that I'm not making dumb financial decisions or dropping coin all over the place. I typically spend for us, and when the GAS hits, she's typically receptive. I mean, if it was just my money and we were stupid wealthy that would be one thing, but it's our money and she works hella hard for what she earns so if I have to keep my tender tiny nut-bits in a mason jar on the mantle, so be it.

On the flip-side, I can see a spouse feeling the need to keep tabs on their partner's money management if that person has a history of unwise, selfish, or irresponsible spending habits.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score

It's a decades-old trope that men, because of "boys will be boys", are irresponsible with money when it comes to impulse buys, and in the era of single income families, the women often handled the bills. The husbands would earn the money for the family, the wives would handle the budget including an allowance or permission for personal expences or else the family would go hungry while there'd be a new boat in the driveway.

But wives being a "ball and chain" to their husbands has been around for about 100 years, and people complaining about hating their wives and not being able to do what they want has been comedy fodder for Boomers (both chronologically and mentally) for decades. The Honeymooners, Married With Children..., etc.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
When you’re married it’s both of your money. I’d hope that any future wife would run large, out of budget purchases by me before spending our money and I would do the same.

Reaction score
Ha! You're just mad cause you got tendonitis in your cock and osteoarthritis in your knees!
Anger requires energy. I have none of that and I'm too focused on curling up into a ball and dying. I see why some animals die after mating.
It's a decades-old trope that men, because of "boys will be boys", are irresponsible with money when it comes to impulse buys, and in the era of single income families, the women often handled the bills. The husbands would earn the money for the family, the wives would handle the budget including an allowance or permission for personal expences or else the family would go hungry while there'd be a new boat in the driveway.

But wives being a "ball and chain" to their husbands has been around for about 100 years, and people complaining about hating their wives and not being able to do what they want has been comedy fodder for Boomers (both chronologically and mentally) for decades. The Honeymooners, Married With Children..., etc.

Yeah I always figured it was that old "nagging wife" trope but I've seen lots of guys say it and are totally serious. I can't imagine being an adult with a decent income and not being able to buy the things I work for all because some person seemingly devalues my passions and wants to put at end to them.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Yeah I always figured it was that old "nagging wife" trope but I've seen lots of guys say it and are totally serious. I can't imagine being an adult with a decent income and not being able to buy the things I work for all because some person seemingly devalues my passions and wants to put at end to them.
It could also be self-imposed. Maybe know that if someone else didn't hold the purse strings, they'd never save enough to afford a house. Probably because of a few specific incidents. 😅 So they blame their own impulsivity and lack of discipline to work toward a long-term goal on the person they hoisted the responsibility onto.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
When you’re married it’s both of your money. I’d hope that any future wife would run large, out of budget purchases by me before spending our money and I would do the same.
There's a portion of the population who could never imagine making a purchase if they know they can't afford it when thinking about savings and retirement, and a portion of the population who negotiate a car sale by focusing on the monthly payment, ignoring the loan length and interest rate. And neither can imagine the other's mindset at all. 😅

spudmunkey

Reaction score
The Alley in Chicago is having a Buy 2 get one free t-shirt online sale.

The Alley was always a must whenever I'd travel down to Chicago's The Metro or Double Door for a show back in the day (late 90s/early 00s).

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Couple quick cabinet ohm questions:

My 1x12 has a daisy chain out that I wired up a while ago to separate 2 1x12s and I just bought a 2x12 16 ohm cab with 2 8 ohm speakers in it, obviously wired in series to get 16 ohms. If I went out of my SD Powerstage 170 output into the 1x12 8 ohm cab then daisy chain to the 16 ohm 2x12 what would that actually see at the amp side? This isn't the biggest deal if it isn't recommended, just an idea.

The more important real question, I should be able to rewire the cab in parallel and get 4ohms correct? The Powerstage gives full power at 4 ohms and that's the end goal for me.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
The more important real question, I should be able to rewire the cab in parallel and get 4ohms correct? The Powerstage gives full power at 4 ohms and that's the end goal for me.
Yes.

Couple quick cabinet ohm questions:

My 1x12 has a daisy chain out that I wired up a while ago to separate 2 1x12s and I just bought a 2x12 16 ohm cab with 2 8 ohm speakers in it, obviously wired in series to get 16 ohms. If I went out of my SD Powerstage 170 output into the 1x12 8 ohm cab then daisy chain to the 16 ohm 2x12 what would that actually see at the amp side? This isn't the biggest deal if it isn't recommended, just an idea.
If they're in series the amp will see a 24ohm load. If you change the 2x12 to 4 ohms the amp will see a 12ohm load. I wouldn't recommend it because firstly you'll lose a lot of power, but I also wouldn't recommend it because the 2x12 and 1x12 will draw different amounts of power and won't be driving at the same volume. Generally not a great idea to mismatch cabs with different types/numbers of speakers, even if you get a safe load it's very likely to be less-than-ideal results.

I had a Beta Lead 4x10 combo with a "matching" 2x12 extension, the only way to pair them safely was to go out to the 2x12 then daisy chain back to the combo in series. This got you an 8 ohm load, but the results were very underwhelming because of the wildly different power draws of 4 10s vs 2 12s. They looked fucking cool together though.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
A few words on a couple things.

That Chris Young tune. Hmm. Seems like popular chart topping stuff written by a focus group of writers in a room is going the way of the film industry where the majority of output feels like remakes, reboots, and tributes. Brings "The Sound Of Muzak" by Porcupine Tree to mind.

And about guys being apprehensive about acquiring instruments due to their wife or whatever, I might be a bad example of life-living in some way because I have been conditioned to expect that an insane tragedy could happen at any time because I've had to live through some unspeakable shit happening to family members and myself, so I conduct my business like I'm going to get Final Destination'd any time. If I want a guitar, I'm gonna buy it. I don't worry about my savings and things like that. Wife is largely supportive/indifferent. We know what we have and what we'll never get and try to be cautious but don't really plan for any type of retirement. If I can somehow beat the odds and make it to retirement age, I'll be so shocked I'll either croak on the spot or figure it out as I go along, same as it ever was.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Today I learned that Behemoth did a cover of Wish by Nine Inch Nails. I love Nergal..and I love NIN...but no. Just...no
Had to check it out and yep- pretty bad. But then YT recommended Linkin Park's cover which was also bad & featured comments claiming it to be better than the original. Had I not closed the tab in disgust I'm sure YT would then direct me to a djent cover and I'd have to throw myself in front of a garbage truck.

Reaction score
Had to check it out and yep- pretty bad. But then YT recommended Linkin Park's cover which was also bad & featured comments claiming it to be better than the original. Had I not closed the tab in disgust I'm sure YT would then direct me to a djent cover and I'd have to throw myself in front of a garbage truck.
Me the entire time while listening:
giphy.gif

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I keep looking for some 5 string basses to swap out my current basses with and ugh... the finishes are just so blah and boring on the new stuff out right now.

Specifically looking at a fender 5 string, but even the non fender ones are just kinda meh and boring looking. 🤔

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
I keep looking for some 5 string basses to swap out my current basses with and ugh... the finishes are just so blah and boring on the new stuff out right now.

Specifically looking at a fender 5 string, but even the non fender ones are just kinda meh and boring looking. 🤔

Ibanez 5 string finishes are just so, so bad right now for my personal tastes.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Have you looked at ESP, Sire or Lakland's Skyline series? I'm not up to date in their current offerings for those three but it seems they've generally had a decent selection.

Or if you want to go multiscale I can't say enough good about Dingwall's Combustions and NG's. They have good colors too.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Today I learned that Behemoth did a cover of Wish by Nine Inch Nails. I love Nergal..and I love NIN...but no. Just...no
I felt similarly when King Woman covered Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored. I Wanted To Adore it, as I Adore both KW and SR, but I Did Not.

Latest posts