"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Definitely tell him about ways to lock the trem for when he just wants to play instead of honing his guitar mechanic skills. I like the idea of that dead lock jig thing another forum member here makes and sells now, haven't picked one up for myself but I intend to. The other devices are pretty well known I'm guessing- to us at least.

Absolutely. I gotta dig through my shop.... I think I have an old dive-only trem stopper I ripped out of an rg1570 @ one point. I'll just give it to him if he wants it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Selling an indo RG locally and I get a hit on a guy who wants to check it out. Tells me he has never even held an electric guitar and is just a hobby acoustic player. He's gonna check it out tonight but I'm going to be very transparent with him about the perils of a person's first electric having a double locking tremolo. I want to make a sale but I also want him to know there's a learning curve involved to make this style of instrument function correctly and dependably.

"So uhh, you actually make tuning adjustments down here, not up there. You got allen wrenches and youtube?"
This is very much appreciated from someone who had that very moment many years ago. Bought a used Jackson not knowing what a full floating, locking trem actually meant until I got home and couldn't tune the damn thing to save my life..... ahh good times.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
This is very much appreciated from someone who had that very moment many years ago. Bought a used Jackson not knowing what a full floating, locking trem actually meant until I got home and couldn't tune the damn thing to save my life..... ahh good times.
Mine was an Epiphone, late eighties/early nineties. Based on poking around, I think it'd be a 635i in candy apple red (carved top, HSS, locking trem), except mine didn't come stock with a locking nut. Nightmare doesn't begin to describe trying to sort that shit out when you're not exactly initiated into guitardom. I came from violin/viola land, my transitory instrument a mid-sixties Sears branded Tiesco Spectrum 4 with the weird sorta/kinda Bigsby style trem, so the learning curve was steep and brutal.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Does anyone else think Culver's Restaurant is kinda mid? I keep getting people telling me it's the best fast food joint but it's doing not much for me right now, and kind of tastes like expensive Wendy's.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Does anyone else think Culver's Restaurant is kinda mid? I keep getting people telling me it's the best fast food joint but it's doing not much for me right now, and kind of tastes like expensive Wendy's.
Culvers is kinda mid, until you compare it to McDonald's or Burger King. Which, let's be honest, that's what everybody compares all fast food to when it comes right down to it. I'd chose Culvers over Micky Dees any day, and Burger King about three out of four times, unless I just have a hankering for artificial smoke and luke-warm burger patties with wilted lettuce and styrofoam tomatoes.

jaxadam

Reaction score

I've only been two or three times, but I thought it was pretty good. What blew me away was how good their shrimp were. I was not expecting that.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I used to work in this town that had a Popeye's and apparently I was one of very few "not an asshole" folks around. Those girls used to load me TF up on shrimp and biscuits. Probably my favorite fast food, possibly tied with the Hardee's I used to hit up after classes in my 20s- which was the same story with the staff.

Nowadays I avoid all fast food. Not worth the hangover. WhackDonalds specifically is beyond the last resort for me. I wouldn't even shove that stuff up my ass if my life depended on it. Seems like even take out places with good and reasonably healthy food have reduced portions significantly in recent years. Can't win.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kinda yeah, sometimes I feel the same about Freddie's with their regular burgs. I do think the burgers are pretty different from Wendy's though... I like them both for different reasons. I'd most likely take Wendy's over Culver's, but Culver's Custard is frickin dope son.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly I think the only fast food I miss and constantly think about is Quizno's. I think there's maybe 1 or 2 left in Minnesota and that's some bullshit. Jersey Mike's had to step to be my next favorite.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Selling an indo RG locally and I get a hit on a guy who wants to check it out. Tells me he has never even held an electric guitar and is just a hobby acoustic player. He's gonna check it out tonight but I'm going to be very transparent with him about the perils of a person's first electric having a double locking tremolo. I want to make a sale but I also want him to know there's a learning curve involved to make this style of instrument function correctly and dependably.

"So uhh, you actually make tuning adjustments down here, not up there. You got allen wrenches and youtube?"

Guy bought it. I stressed 3 or 4 times to "go on youtube and google and learn about tuning and maintaining a floating bridge (aka floyd rose or in this case an ibanez double locking trem). if you spend 45 minutes learning how to maintain it, it will be good to you- so many people buy these and it goes out of tune and they lose their mind trying to tune it. If they spent 45 minutes learning, they wouldnt be tearing their hair out and saying how the guitar sucks." Also mentioned that it can be blocked off, even simply with a chunk of wood and spring adjustmentsin the cavity if he wants to forego use of the bar. Guy had never even held an electric guitar before, so I'm a little nervous for him but I did my duty.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Guy bought it. I stressed 3 or 4 times to "go on youtube and google and learn about tuning and maintaining a floating bridge (aka floyd rose or in this case an ibanez double locking trem). if you spend 45 minutes learning how to maintain it, it will be good to you- so many people buy these and it goes out of tune and they lose their mind trying to tune it. If they spent 45 minutes learning, they wouldnt be tearing their hair out and saying how the guitar sucks." Also mentioned that it can be blocked off, even simply with a chunk of wood and spring adjustmentsin the cavity if he wants to forego use of the bar. Guy had never even held an electric guitar before, so I'm a little nervous for him but I did my duty.
Screenshot_20240424_175041_DuckDuckGo.jpg

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Mine was an Epiphone, late eighties/early nineties. Based on poking around, I think it'd be a 635i in candy apple red (carved top, HSS, locking trem), except mine didn't come stock with a locking nut. Nightmare doesn't begin to describe trying to sort that shit out when you're not exactly initiated into guitardom. I came from violin/viola land, my transitory instrument a mid-sixties Sears branded Tiesco Spectrum 4 with the weird sorta/kinda Bigsby style trem, so the learning curve was steep and brutal.
I dunno why I thought of this reading your post but my 2nd guitar was some cheapo brand V and I thought it was the coolest but I had zero idea about anything guitar related so... to make it look "even cooler" I ( gulp)... painted the humbucker pole-pieces... all of em... fluorescent greenish yellow. I'm sure it was a water-based/ acrylic paint but that's about all I remember. It musta looked awesome... :nuts:

jaxadam

Reaction score
Damn I need some practice

IMG-9883.png

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Damn I need some practice

IMG-9883.png
Does yours have a timer that tells you when to shift to a new zone? I get a buzz every 30 seconds, to switch to the next zone, for a total of 4 zones. I usually go bottom inside, bottom outside, top outside, top inside.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
No change in brushing time/technique/approach ever did as much as flossing daily for me. If I skip a day I can literally taste the ick in the afternoon

jaxadam

Reaction score
Does yours have a timer that tells you when to shift to a new zone? I get a buzz every 30 seconds, to switch to the next zone, for a total of 4 zones. I usually go bottom inside, bottom outside, top outside, top inside.

No it actually actively shows those regions being brushed in real time slowly becoming whiter, and I just go the two minutes. This thing is going to take some getting used to and my mouth hurts like shit.

It asked if my gums were bleeding and I was like hell yes and it was like well that’s normal for first timers.

jaxadam

Reaction score
No change in brushing time/technique/approach ever did as much as flossing daily for me. If I skip a day I can literally taste the ick in the afternoon

I’m a religious flosser. I’m just predisposed to periodontal disease apparently. I have never had a cavity or braces and have all of my wisdom teeth which is a little bit of an anomaly but the price I pay is eventual gum disease.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
No it actually actively shows those regions being brushed in real time slowly becoming whiter, and I just go the two minutes. This thing is going to take some getting used to and my mouth hurts like shit.

It asked if my gums were bleeding and I was like hell yes and it was like well that’s normal for first timers.
Yeah, I got a Sonicare 4100, and one of its features is that for the first 14 uses, it starts at a lower power level, and progressively increases so you get used to it. If it started on day 1 like how it is now, I'm not sure I'd have stuck with it. 😅

jaxadam

Reaction score
Yeah, I got a Sonicare 4100, and one of its features is that for the first 14 uses, it starts at a lower power level, and progressively increases so you get used to it. If it started on day 1 like how it is now, I'm not sure I'd have stuck with it. 😅

This one has 5 modes. I did “Daily Clean” the first time and it was a rough go but it has a “Sensitive” setting and that’s gonna be what it’s gonna have to be for a little while. There’s a whitening or polish setting on there but I think I’ll just use that for a paint correction on my truck.