"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
OK, note to self: Add green lasers flashing in our faces in time with the beat. We don't need to see.

Since this is a "are you a real man" discussion now, am I more or less qualified to own a pickup if I used to drive two eighteen ton silage wagons at a time down the highway. I just want to know how tiny my epeen is today.
I think the real question now has become “are you more qualified to own a truck if you wear diapers”? :lol:

Referencing this post from the US Politcal Discussion thread:

Ok, anyone want to explain to me WTF this is all about?

View attachment 142917
View attachment 142919

I know they’re in a one-man race to the bottom, but WTF? :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the real question now has become “are you more qualified to own a truck if you wear diapers”? :lol:

Referencing this post from the US Politcal Discussion thread:

tenor.gif

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I drove around in an old ranger for a summer in college. My dad bought it for me to drive wholesale from a fleet auction and you’re never gonna complain about a free vehicle as a broke college kid. It had a toggle switch under the console to flip on the construction lights and ngl I used that toggle to take a shortcut through a couple empty construction zones at night. Fun times

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I drove around in an old ranger for a summer in college. My dad bought it for me to drive wholesale from a fleet auction and you’re never gonna complain about a free vehicle as a broke college kid. It had a toggle switch under the console to flip on the construction lights and ngl I used that toggle to take a shortcut through a couple empty construction zones at night. Fun times
My first pickup was a '87 Dakota i got from a friend of an old gf for $0. It was the most base of base models. 2.2L, 5 speed manual. Fenders and wheel arches were totally rotten, brake and fuel lines non existent.

Thing was a death trap. Had an aluminum cap on it and even with lock washers on it, the bolts holding it down would shimmy loose. All but one came off on the highway at 65 and the wind caught it like the wing of an airplane and it lifted up in the air, got caught on the one remaining bolt, slammed the side of the truck and smashed in the road. Scared me half to death. I was tempted to wrench out that one bolt and toss it into the woods right there.

Same truck, eventually i decided to sell it. Had it on my parents lawn and my dad decided to move it to the other side of the house. House is on a hill and as soon as he got on the road POP the brakes gave out. Pulled the emergency brake SNAP the cable broke. Truck zinged past me and out of sight. I was convinced my dad was dead somewhere at the bottom of the hill. Turned out he swerved into an empty driveway and crashed into a rose bush that was cushiony enough to not damage much.

Called the scrap yard to come retrieve it.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
My first pickup was a '87 Dakota i got from a friend of an old gf for $0. It was the most base of base models. 2.2L, 5 speed manual. Fenders and wheel arches were totally rotten, brake and fuel lines non existent.

Thing was a death trap. Had an aluminum cap on it and even with lock washers on it, the bolts holding it down would shimmy loose. All but one came off on the highway at 65 and the wind caught it like the wing of an airplane and it lifted up in the air, got caught on the one remaining bolt, slammed the side of the truck and smashed in the road. Scared me half to death. I was tempted to wrench out that one bolt and toss it into the woods right there.

Same truck, eventually i decided to sell it. Had it on my parents lawn and my dad decided to move it to the other side of the house. House is on a hill and as soon as he got on the road POP the brakes gave out. Pulled the emergency brake SNAP the cable broke. Truck zinged past me and out of sight. I was convinced my dad was dead somewhere at the bottom of the hill. Turned out he swerved into an empty driveway and crashed into a rose bush that was cushiony enough to not damage much.

Called the scrap yard to come retrieve it.
Please, please, PLEASE tell me you painted it with rattle can flat black.

I had a set of friends that were, for lack of a better term, the duncecaps of the crew we ran with. One of them got a hand-me-down that was just slightly north of what you describe, an older S-10 in their case. He painted it rattle can flat black. Didn't mask any of the windows or anything. And didn't sand back the rust, or fix any of the holes in the wheel wells or fenders. It was disturbingly horrible. Original color showing through flakes around the rust (bright red). Windows all had the "fog" around the edges of rattle can overspray. Truly metal as fuck.

So duncecap number 2 goes and buys himself a "cherry" (his term) 78 Chrysler something er other, can't remember, in that god-awful Chrysler gold that was available at the time. But he liked the flat black so much he went to the hardware store, bought him some five gallons of exterior house paint in black, a roller, and a brush. To my recollection, there was at least marijuana involved, knowing him probably alcohol as well, when he did the painting.

The results were EXACTLY what you would expect. Roller and brush marks on every window, gaps around the chrome alternating with brushed on black over the chrome, what little chrome was left anyway. Rust spots pulled odd streaks with the brush and roller all around them. And he was so god damned proud of that thing. So ugly.

A couple years later he got a better car, then bought the same type of paint, in hot pink, to do all the chrome and trim in. Then he passed it off to his sister, who just turned sixteen. I've never seen a more mixed-emotions reveal in my life. For a period of about two minutes, her face just cycled through this series of emotions. Anger, fear, rage, happy, anger, confusion, anger, joy, and ultimately landed in a raised brow and a shaken fist as she grabbed the keys from him.

So ends old man story hour.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
What is the fail rate on drywall anchors?
I've never had issues but I don't push them to their limits. I also try not to use the cheaper ones that come with shelves or furniture and opt for the 30-40+ lbs ones. But yeah hopefully it's very low.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
PSA: Turtles are out and about for Spring in the states. If you see one trying to cross a road, do the right thing. This OLD & possibly pregnant snapper got hit today and brought to the wife's place of work for treatment and is now in the hands of the Turtle Rescue League for rehab.

View attachment 143031
Damn. Thanks for the PSA. And thanks to your wife & her place of work.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
PSA: Turtles are out and about for Spring in the states. If you see one trying to cross a road, do the right thing. This OLD & possibly pregnant snapper got hit today and brought to the wife's place of work for treatment and is now in the hands of the Turtle Rescue League for rehab.

View attachment 143031
Thanks to your wife and whoever brought that one in!

My daughter spotted one hanging out near the driveway yesterday. It was small enough (and not too pissed off) to squeeze into a 5 gallon bucket and bring back to the river, which is just across the street.

Latest posts