"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I always have a moment where I could swear Kerry King is wearing a skirt on stage. I don't know it's the lights, his frame, the leather and the V, or his stance. But it's just planted in my head that he performs in a skirt. Anybody else have this intrusive idea? :D
When you're only 3" tall, the big leather belt looks like a skirt.
Anybody have friends that are bad decision after bad decision, and it gets exhausting trying to be supportive when you know where things are going to end up?
Good god. This is literally every "friend" I've ever had. My problem is I have way too much patience when meeting new people, so tend to "make friends" with the freak-shows nobody else can stomach being around. Then I end up "surprised" when years down the road I'm sick of them constantly tripping over their own toes and smashing face-first into every door of opportunity that comes along and eventually just stop hanging with them.

I've been told I'd keep friends better if I had a worse memory. Probably true. But if you have to forget how shit the people you are friends with are in order to be friends with them? What's the point?

ALSO: I just came back from a week off. So politics is dead? Just as well. The US politics thread just as well have been called, "Professional online biters." I swear the dumbest mouthbreathers on the net could plop a turd in there and get the whole group to go full piranha for page after page. It was like watching the entire forum go, "This person is clearly mentally diminished. Let's all make them feel at home."

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
I have a recurring dream where I own gear that I have never actually owned. But last weekend I found a Behringer compressor from our summer cottage that I totally forgot about. Just fired it up for the first time since like 2008 and it still works like a charm. Does a decent job of being a clean boost especially with my single-coil guitars.

ALSO: I just came back from a week off. So politics is dead? Just as well. The US politics thread just as well have been called, "Professional online biters." I swear the dumbest mouthbreathers on the net could plop a turd in there and get the whole group to go full piranha for page after page. It was like watching the entire forum go, "This person is clearly mentally diminished. Let's all make them feel at home."

Actually I was just wondering if it's already back since it's showing up for me. :lol:

Edit: Nevermind. It shows up but you can't post there...

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
For those of you who have been the lucky recipients of colonoscopies, how unfortunate was the experience? I have one in a few weeks 💀

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Five days into my wife's nine day vacation and she finally went out for a while, and here I sit uninspired to play. Like, I don't dig playing when she's here unless I'm just finishing up a song or two as she's coming thru the door. But otherwise my playing or practicing is my time to connect with that musical soul thing. Idk, I'm still itching to play in a general sense but forcing myself just cause it's the first chance I've had in a while, naw. I'll prob have to wait four more days till she goes back to work lol. And certainly, I want her to be here. She deserves to be home as much as she wants to relax and all that but I miss being able to play at those random opportune moments alone. Plus stale chops suck.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Five days into my wife's nine day vacation and she finally went out for a while, and here I sit uninspired to play. Like, I don't dig playing when she's here unless I'm just finishing up a song or two as she's coming thru the door. But otherwise my playing or practicing is my time to connect with that musical soul thing. Idk, I'm still itching to play in a general sense but forcing myself just cause it's the first chance I've had in a while, naw. I'll prob have to wait four more days till she goes back to work lol. And certainly, I want her to be here. She deserves to be home as much as she wants to relax and all that but I miss being able to play at those random opportune moments alone. Plus stale chops suck.
I gotta think this is the eternal struggle of married dudes.

If I'm trying to record or practice (or watching a lesson video) after my g/f gets home, I think I get ~10 seconds of the sound of the metronome before it's time to shut.that.shit.off. And I get it, if you're not actually *playing* it, "click, click, click" and also starting/stopping and replaying the same line for an hour (with botching and tuning in between) has to be pretty miserable.

But yeah, boo to activities you can't do when your partner is around.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
To the above: I just too a whole week off work, the first in I don't know how long. I had big schemes in my head. Including finishing the setup on my 7 string violin and actually recording a couple tunes I've been writing for approximately seventeen centuries, give or take.

Did not open violin case.
Did not remove guitar from wall.
Installed a couple new orchestral plugins.
Pretty much never had a moment alone.

YAY! MODERN LIFE!

Next vacation? I drug out day one, and stay that way until the day before I return to work. Let's see the world interrupt that vacation.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I had the week before last off and had similar experiences to those above. As a homebody I hate to admit it, but I think part of it is the scam that is the "staycation".

My wife & I moved from a small condo into a house several months before the pandemic. Before, we would fly-out on vacations and do overnights away several times per year. We rationalized to ourselves during lockdown that since we now have a nice house with an outdoor patio and all these amenities that we didn't have before that staying home ain't half bad. But it's not what it's cracked up to be. After a couple days of enjoyment, the clutter in the garage and the work that needs to be done in the yard can't be avoided. One thinks, "oh, I'll put a few hours into these but then I'll get back to enjoying myself"; those hours become days and boom- time to go back to work, somehow feeling more ragged than before.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I gotta think this is the eternal struggle of married dudes.

If I'm trying to record or practice (or watching a lesson video) after my g/f gets home, I think I get ~10 seconds of the sound of the metronome before it's time to shut.that.shit.off. And I get it, if you're not actually *playing* it, "click, click, click" and also starting/stopping and replaying the same line for an hour (with botching and tuning in between) has to be pretty miserable.

But yeah, boo to activities you can't do when your partner is around.
Indeed... the struggle is real.

The worst was shortly after we started living together she came home after work one day and turned on the TV while I was still playing. Another time she legit just turned off my amp. I was like- you must die for your sins against me! I emphasized that wasn't cool and fortunately it hasn't been a problem since.

Naked shitting and masturbating come into play here as well. She ever comes home to any of that and she'll wish she had texted her impending arrival for sure.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Living with people period it's a struggle to access "practice" mindstate, my brain defaults to "people can hear this, and therefor it's a performance." That really fucks with my flow when I'm either working on improv/songwriting or hammering minute details on repeat to a metronome.
That's such a good way to put it... or as in my latter mentioned scenario, a freak-show that a loved one just can't unsee. Like, I want my wife to know me.. but not really know me.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
One of my bar regulars is a ~65 year old woman. I've been at the same spot for a decade as of this week, and this year I've been slowly getting her into more extreme music. We started with some of Russian Circles' heavier stuff which went over quite well. More recently, I've been playing Death Grips on the jukebox and her response was "this music sounds terrible. I love it!" Probably the best review of DG ever written TBH. Now she recognizes I've Seen Footage from the first few bars and gets super hyped whenever I play it. Doing the Lord's work.