"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
I think there could be a market for that. I mean, people buy 1:1 EVH's frankenstrat replicas, and that guitar was basically a piece of shit nobody in a guitar forum would play.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm so used to "new" guitars being bunged up that I'd probably have shrugged off that Schecter above if I liked how it played, but if I didn't like how it played I'd use it as an excuse to send it back.
I'm kinda blah on buying stuff.

Either it's used and you expect issues. Or it's new and it might've been floor/demo or a return and it's definitely got issues. Or it's new and legitimately unplayed but it's been sitting in a warehouse developing god knows what issues.

I think the last new new guitar I got was the Quest 7-string and the action was a mile high because the saddles couldn't go low enough. Needed a neck shim right out of the box.

So idk, my expectations are like non existent on anything unless I've handled it first. I don't blame anybody being disappointed though. If anything, my demeanor is entirely because I'm perpetually disappointed.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
There's always work to be done on a recently acquired guitar, no matter if it's new or used. No exceptions.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
This could very well be a local thing more than everywhere but that's my challenge to whoever's reading this.

Next time you're on the road for a decent commute keep your eye open for a pickup truck, take into account the age and condition of it, count the number of doors on it, look at the back and see if there's a tonneau, then look at the person driving it and ask yourself when's the last time that person had tools or lumber or materials in the back?

Edit: Bonus exercise, count how many of them you see parked in a handicapped spot and/or taking up two or three parking spots.
I know this is fuckin 16 pages old but literally just imagine how many jacked up parking lot princess windshields I replaced over 4.5 years in south Georgia, lmao. It's even more than you're thinking.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I'm kinda blah on buying stuff.

Either it's used and you expect issues. Or it's new and it might've been floor/demo or a return and it's definitely got issues. Or it's new and legitimately unplayed but it's been sitting in a warehouse developing god knows what issues.

I think the last new new guitar I got was the Quest 7-string and the action was a mile high because the saddles couldn't go low enough. Needed a neck shim right out of the box.

So idk, my expectations are like non existent on anything unless I've handled it first. I don't blame anybody being disappointed though. If anything, my demeanor is entirely because I'm perpetually disappointed.
The only guitars I ever "loved" brand new were ones I ordered from Carvin before Jeff became the face of the company. My ESP custom shop was a disappointment, as was everything else I've ever gotten new.

I'm of the opinion that anybody with even a modicum of intelligence is perpetually disappointed in everything, because the world is geared towards dumb as a brick. "Why can't you just be happy?" <-If you ask me that question, you're likely to get the stank face followed by a rude comment about your lack of interest in reality.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm so used to "new" guitars being bunged up that I'd probably have shrugged off that Schecter above if I liked how it played, but if I didn't like how it played I'd use it as an excuse to send it back.

Bingo. If the frets were perfectly level, I would forgive the other stuff. But they're not, and I despise crowning stainless. So off it goes.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
The trouble is that I would really like an LTD EX-7 Black Metal, but LTD's QC makes the Schecter I have on the bench look like a $10,000 Barlow.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
With only a couple vacation days left, my wife and I decided to go to a place called Canyon Lake yesterday for some swimming ( her... not me. I don't exactly have the traditional swimmers physique). Being a weekday before summer craziness, we had the place mostly to ourselves which was way cool. Anyway... she got up the courage to do some cliff jumping... nothing too extreme but maybe 20'/ 6 meters high.

Well.. first jump and as she comes to the surface, she's all amped on adrenaline and bobbing around with her bikini top around her waist. She's completely oblivious until I yell down to her "Your breasts have escaped their confines, madame!". Well, she's super embarrassed cause she's pretty modest which made it that much more humorous.

So she composes herself and she's like "I hope no one saw that!". But I assure her that even though there's almost no one even remotely close to us, that "men can smell boobies a mile away!".

And in the blink of an eye, here comes a Sheriff's Dept boat and two random jet-skiers. Boat pulls up and the guy is like "Need any help?!" and the jet-ski dudes just kinda slowed down and lingered for no apparent reason. She's like "No, I'm good". And then they all left but she yelled back up to me "I think you're right!". In their defense, I'm sure there are a lot of accidents that happen in these areas with people jumping from the cliffs.

I dunno... It was funny. Few pics for the hell of it ( boob-free). Good day and it's always a kick to see your spouse get red-faced.